Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Hahahahahaha!!!
IMG_20240309_192531.jpg

Ze goggles, zey do nussing!

EDIT- Ordered a hardened steel E bike chainring from Uberbike.
Finally managed to pay TRP USA, took 40mins at my bank today.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
No white shoes after labor day
It seems they didn't sell any white rims after Labor day 2013.

They are easily the worst rims I have ever seen in regards to QC, I don't expect too much when I see something that's made in America but these were fucked.
They sounded like musical instruments when they arrived then I had deburr half the holes and get a chisel on to the joins so tubeless tape would work. After that, there was probably 20mins of shaking to get all the musical crud out.

I will say the tubeless tape stuck to the shiny paint way better than any other rim I have set up tubeless, so that's a plus.

So glad to be rid of Shimano hubs and rotors, braking and rolling feels as smooth as it should. But the Shimano 10-45t 12sp cassette is good, the ratios are a fair bit nicer for the ride to the bush than with the 10-51 I had on there.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
If you can cope with 34T Shimano STEPS can usually be found quite a bit cheaper
I ordered a 34t, but only because my frame won't fit a 36.
It's not going on to an e bike, Shimano says e bike only only on the STEPS ring but I can't see why, it's also dearer than the uber one I ordered.

I wanted a Wolf Tooth stainless one but could only find a 32t. A bit of rust won't make my bike any more ugly.

I wonder if they'd do a higher carbon steel brake rotor? I'll email them, haha!
EDIT- I emailed them.

Last edited:

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
20240309_210837.jpg
20240309_210937.jpg

Dont mind the pedals she doesnt have her own yet
Same with bars and gips
Livery inspired by concrete motorsports

While watching these videos i decided i needed a new bike between the trail and DH bike
2020_BITD_Parker_425-6172-1024x682.jpeg
Concrete-Motorsports-FB-Image-March-05-2019-at-03_47PM.jpg

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Bike looks sick HH. Not too keen on the white rims but I had White Halo rims about 20y ago, so who am I to judge. Great tire combo. I found this setup to be super fast on hard pack. The Dissector is fine up front when the dirt is more lose or muddy but the Aggressor is quickly overwhelmed, specifically braking. I am only riding a hard tail now so had to switch up for more aggressive tires.

need to investigate steel chainring options. I put down a lot of torque riding one of our local trails and burn through Alu rings. I run a 34t so the Shimano ring Gary mentioned could be a good option (cheers G).

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Bike looks sick HH. Not too keen on the white rims but I had White Halo rims about 20y ago, so who am I to judge. Great tire combo. I found this setup to be super fast on hard pack. The Dissector is fine up front when the dirt is more lose or muddy but the Aggressor is quickly overwhelmed, specifically braking. I am only riding a hard tail now so had to switch up for more aggressive tires.

need to investigate steel chainring options. I put down a lot of torque riding one of our local trails and burn through Alu rings. I run a 34t so the Shimano ring Gary mentioned could be a good option (cheers G).
I picked the rims because they look horrible, looks like a Norco Manik from the late 00's.
The wheels seem properly stiff compared to the Stan's/Shimano combo it came with, but I'm gonna change the rims, the novelty has already worn off.
Yeah as soon as I put the 2.6" Dissector on I realised I'd made a bad choice, the slightly smaller Assegai that was on there worked better on corners I couldn't lean much on. I am fat and unfit, pretty much all I'm riding is XC and fire roads so the extra speed of the Aggressor is helpful.

I'd like to keep a 2.6" up front so I might try to find a 35mm internal rim with a ~597ERD, then I might put the Mezzer on it at 140mm travel and put the Selva on the other bike. I love the Selva but it has a really short A2C which doesn't really suit this frame, it would be fine on my dual sus bike.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
2023 Norco Optic. I am quite happy with how it turned out.

I tried to go with Canadian stuff as much as I could, with Weareone rims, North Shore Billet stem, pedals, brake adaptors and UDH, Chromag saddle and steertube spacers (lol), OneUp bars, chainring and chainguide, RaceFace grips.

Optic_1_sm.jpg

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I ordered a 34t, but only because my frame won't fit a 36.
It's not going on to an e bike, Shimano says e bike only only on the STEPS ring but I can't see why, it's also dearer than the uber one I ordered.

I wanted a Wolf Tooth stainless one but could only find a 32t. A bit of rust won't make my bike any more ugly.
Guessing Uberbike's international postage must be fairly reasonable then?
Shimano do quite a few variations of their STEPs chainrings due to many coming with the spider "SM-CRE80 chainring, 34T" is the chainring on it's own at £38 ($58)here but can be found for less. They're marked 10/11spd but all the Steps mtb chainrings work fine with a 10 ,11 or 12spd chain. "Ebike only" and "Ebike approved" parts is just marketing bollocks!
I have a 34T steps ring here I could have sent you if you were in the UK. Unfortunately they only come in 34 or 38T and I run 36T on my Emtb.
Burgtec also do a steel 104 4 bolt Ebike chainring, they're more expensive again and only available in 32 or 34t

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Gary, having issues confirming the PCD for the STEPS ring. Retailers are not incl. this info. One retailer has a photo of the packaging, which includes the various teeth count and PCD, but the relevant PCD is not marked. I am looking for 96/64.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Guessing Uberbike's international postage must be fairly reasonable then?
Shimano do quite a few variations of their STEPs chainrings due to many coming with the spider "SM-CRE80 chainring, 34T" is the chainring on it's own at £38 ($58)here but can be found for less. They're marked 10/11spd but all the Steps mtb chainrings work fine with a 10 ,11 or 12spd chain. "Ebike only" and "Ebike approved" parts is just marketing bollocks!
I have a 34T steps ring here I could have sent you if you were in the UK. Unfortunately they only come in 34 or 38T and I run 36T on my Emtb.
Burgtec also do a steel 104 4 bolt Ebike chainring, they're more expensive again and only available in 32 or 34t
Yeah the STEPS rings I found in Oz were ~$120, post from Uber was 10 Pounds so I got the chainring and a set of brake pads for the same price as the STEPS ring. Plus it's made by a little company rather than Shimano, I like supporting the little guys, but being English there's a 50% chance it won't work.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Gary, having issues confirming the PCD for the STEPS ring. Retailers are not incl. this info. One retailer has a photo of the packaging, which includes the various teeth count and PCD, but the relevant PCD is not marked. I am looking for 96/64.
No man. It's good ol 104 for Saint etc.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Did that once, wound up giving it away.
I do race support and back some races up it just gives me a place to get a bike up pull off suspension and do a quick rebuild if needed.

Throw it on back of the truck and use it while there then back into truck.. quick and easy plus I am doing a bolt lock that will pull the .250 wall tubing to side of hitch so no wiggle

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Steel chainring from Uberbike looks perfectly serviceable-
PXL_20240319_085303300_1.jpg

The little mud relief bits look odd, almost like it was done with an abrasive process rather than with a cutter.
I should run a file over it like they do on "White People With Beards Making Knives" then make a comment like "Oh yeah, that's good and hard".

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Steel chainring from Uberbike looks perfectly serviceable-
View attachment 209234
The little mud relief bits look odd, almost like it was done with an abrasive process rather than with a cutter.
I should run a file over it like they do on "White People With Beards Making Knives" then make a comment like "Oh yeah, that's good and hard".
Dear HardtailHack,

Pete from Uberbike here. Yes we sand those edges for you by using a proprietary aerospace-grade process. Enjoy your new chainring,

Pete

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Woohoo, bike is back together.

New shock
New chain
Replaced the derailleur housing and cable
New dropper cable
Tore down and serviced the dropper
Cleaned and put some new Dumond pro x freehub grease in the hub
Found a replacement chainguide for my OG oneup guide, from the parts bin
New TRP rotors, which hopefully don't rub on the Dominions
New, short drop outs
Fork lower service done

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Are these any good? Can't seem to find them anywhere.
They were limited to race prep program and had a few extra...64 and 75mm
They can be ordered if they still have some , in waiting on a 65mm for the slash.
Yeah so far I like the way it tops out, feels a bit more mellow and less kick in chatter...I haven't had a park session or any big jumps just some lines and tech with some smaller gaps and it feels better ...not night and day but it has some added consistency and buffer in chatter high speed...