Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Haha, I am the last person to say something is awesome just because it cost a lot of money.
I spent a similar amount on a drink bottle and cage, after two rides I stomped on it and threw it in the bin, shit parts are shit no matter the cost, same with my custom frame as mentioned previously.

I am a fat guy that mashes the pedals, I felt(or imagined) that there was a noticeable difference with the Stiffmaster, I assume you tested one and came to the conclusion that it did nothing, couldn't imagine you'd bash something without trying it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Haha, I am the last person to say something is awesome just because it cost a lot of money.
I spent a similar amount on a drink bottle and cage, after two rides I stomped on it and threw it in the bin, shit parts are shit no matter the cost, same with my custom frame as mentioned previously.

I am a fat guy that mashes the pedals, I felt(or imagined) that there was a noticeable difference with the Stiffmaster, I assume you tested one and came to the conclusion that it did nothing, couldn't imagine you'd bash something without trying it.
listen, i'm not saying there isn't flex. its just not coming from where you say its coming from.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
When I get some strength back I'll put a traditional headset in then the Stiffmaster and upload a vid to YT.
PB did it but it's pretty shit-

I'll happily buy another one, the silver matches my tinfoil helmet really well.
i'm just having a gas with you at this point.

it's not so much that the steerer tube itself is flexing, but the interface with the upper headset.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
i'm just having a gas with you at this point.

it's not so much that the steerer tube itself is flexing, but the interface with the upper headset.
I stopped using Cane Creek headsets because the loose fitting bearings seemed to act like a rudimentary gimbal, the lower cup always ended up polished towards the front and rear. Not sure if they do it because it allows the headsets to function well in slightly distorted HTs or because it saves 20c on not having to press the bearings in, either way I prefer an interference fit bearing.

I will still upload a video at some point, might even do one with the DMR Defy 35 stem, that thing is a wet noodle, it's worse than a Straitline Pinch stem.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah but to make up for the flex in tapered steerers I have to run an Intend Stiffmaster which offsets any weight benefits of a tapered steerer.
I wouldn't buy a frame that won't accept one of them now.

EDIT- My last fork was 2.6kg with a tapered steerer, making it 1.5" would have added, what, 50g?
I heard back in the 90s or something they tried to use two crowns and stanchions that extended all the way to a crown on top of the headset. Not sure whatever happened to the idea, seemed to make sense...

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I heard back in the 90s or something they tried to use two crowns and stanchions that extended all the way to a crown on top of the headset. Not sure whatever happened to the idea, seemed to make sense...
Nah I enjoy really tight uphill switchbacks far too much for that.

A 130mm dual crown fork on a hardtail, there's no way I want to explain that to inquisitive bike riders. I would much rather a 29er Totem with a 20mm axle.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
1.5 straight died because it was a ton of extra weight for not a lot of extra stiffness.
8% more frontal stiffness according to these numbers

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Haha. One of the many reasons my daily driver has a dual crown. Flex from the stem, steerer, headset interface.....

Usually the Intend stuff makes me roll my eyes, but the Stiffmaster is actually pretty clever piece of kit.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
8% more frontal stiffness according to these numbers
Freshly publicizing those sort of percentage "improvements" if the lizards are listening we're now going to get a new fork "standard" of 40mm steerer's.

We blame you.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Haha. One of the many reasons my daily driver has a dual crown. Flex from the stem, steerer, headset interface.....

Usually the Intend stuff makes me roll my eyes, but the Stiffmaster is actually pretty clever piece of kit.
I'd like some of the brake rotors, they make sense(to me anyway). A fork I do not want.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
It's lightly clamped and If that hurt it them I should have died years ago from stanchion failure lol...
The pads are not exposed where they clamped to stanchion just sides and it's not down hard..
Ive ran dented stanchions before knock on wood no collapse yet...hell I had a small crease hit in one...blipped oil back in the day lol right side so didn't worry about rotor...

These raise more concern for me
Screenshot_20220114-182417_Samsung Internet.jpg