Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Stan's=Wheel of cheese?

Hmmm, I went to a different brand when I built my 29" wheel because I thought the Stan's rim would be too flexy, seems they run a taller profile now?
Stans was making 350g aluminum rims...basically no aluminum rim for mtb, XC included, should ever be that light. The only way you get there is by simply not using enough aluminum. I think the furthest that Mavic ever pushed it was 395 with 26". So make a thinner-wall rim than your competition and the droves will flock to you for making lighter stuff...until they realize they have the integrity of cheese...but hand out replacement rims and you can keep that going a little longer...

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Well hit the jump line today at Clemente and did a few smash sessions to flat as well as banked a berm faster than ever before did step down slipped brake finger so held line...

What I realized is I can go alot faster lol...

My cheesy taco stans held just fine, rear tire I almost rolled off in a berm..
Figured since the wheels didn't bring the tacos we had to go get some ourselves...

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Stans was making 350g aluminum rims...basically no aluminum rim for mtb, XC included, should ever be that light. The only way you get there is by simply not using enough aluminum. I think the furthest that Mavic ever pushed it was 395 with 26". So make a thinner-wall rim than your competition and the droves will flock to you for making lighter stuff...until they realize they have the integrity of cheese...but hand out replacement rims and you can keep that going a little longer...
Newmen evo xa25 at 400g for a 29" and 25mm inner width are quite popular here. I run them on my trail bike with no issues so far. FWIW

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Why would you spend all that money and put a Z1 out front?
Looks like because it's probably used? Pole doesn't seem to be machining the...machine, anymore? I only see the stamina, vomit and evolink FS bikes on their site now.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Yes Pole doesn't make the Machine any more they only made a small badge of them for the public, they where fast machining the Stamina that replaced the Machine all though the first badge of Stamina's had some major problems.

The Z1 was laying around so i though let's put that fork up front, it's a good fork but not mind blowing but there is always room to upgrade to a better fork.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Yes Pole doesn't make the Machine any more they only made a small badge of them for the public, they where fast machining the Stamina that replaced the Machine all though the first badge of Stamina's had some major problems.

The Z1 was laying around so i though let's put that fork up front, it's a good fork but not mind blowing but there is always room to upgrade to a better fork.
Chuck a Secus on the Z1 and get a damper upgrade and those things are sick.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California

I have a brand-new in package Grip 2 damper to sell if you want to upgrade the Z1.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
That kinda depends on where you live. RXF36 is in the 1800.00 range in Canuckistan. Mezzer Pro is 1400ish?
Well that's because Freedom Truckers™ won't deliver anything to you guys. Yeah, I get that's a big number, although I can't recall paying retail for a fork in like forever (e.g. picked up a Mezzer Pro, new in a box for $750). I guess I figured he could sell the Marz (since its apparently unridebru) and put that money towards something else that doesn't need basically all new internals. Downside with that is you don't get to rock a fork with red lowers and you lose street cred sans hardcore Marzocchi stickers on your Jeep Gladiator :thumb:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I just borrowed a trials buddy's Inspired Fourplay 24" trials bike and have been using it for a muck around. So much fun, although the first few times I rode it for a session I woke up discovering some sore muscles that I haven't used in a long time.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I just borrowed a trials buddy's Inspired Fourplay 24" trials bike and have been using it for a muck around. So much fun, although the first few times I rode it for a session I woke up discovering some sore muscles that I haven't used in a long time.
I have wanted one of these damn things forever. So glad to have found it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i dusted off my zoo last summer and barely remember how to ride it.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Grabbed some stuff to throw on...the dpx2 I am swapping in a 250mm shaft and rebound assembly rod to make it 9.5x3...checked it and it will work so ordered parts from fox...

It's 230x62.5 now and has the room internally for another 14mm throw...body is the same on collapsed length of my other 9.5x3 shocks.
20220130_224900.jpg
20220131_120207.jpg
20220201_194649.jpg
20220129_232559.jpg

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Grabbed some stuff to throw on...the dpx2 I am swapping in a 250mm shaft and rebound assembly rod to make it 9.5x3...checked it and it will work so ordered parts from fox...

It's 230x62.5 now and has the room internally for another 14mm throw...body is the same on collapsed length of my other 9.5x3 shocks.
I wouldn't spend too much effort on the shock. The DPX2 is pretty awful.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I wouldn't spend too much effort on the shock. The DPX2 is pretty awful.
I would agree if you don’t tune it and would disagree if you tune the shim stack. There is some hidden potential in there but you would need to find it yourself. The chassis has room for partying pretty good, imo. I could get those running better than the X2 in my case.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
i like to just ping the spokes and do it by ear after a certain point. it's highly scientific.

I get pretty pedantic with wheel building and like to use the meter to make sure everything is balanced multiple times as I tension the wheel up. Have found if I follow my formula I never have to think about it again. And if I don't I will have the wheel off in short time to replace broken spokes or nipples. I think it is a great tool, especially for someone like me who will only build a wheel every few years.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Not doubting that would be amazing bump stick, but at that point, why not just get a whole new fork like a Mezzer, RXF36, etc...? Something that doesn't compel one to get a new damper and an external aftermarket party tube?
Yeah I got my Mezzer for $100 more than I paid for my Z1, I am thinking of grabbing a spare before the price goes up.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Got rid of it, lol. Was part of another deal that worked better...or had more Interest to me.

I did slap it on to see how it felt and even maxxed psi and a .6 vol spacer is didn't like my weight...
I don't doubt it. I had to run the one on my Sentinel at 235 psi with a 0.86 spacer and I must weigh a solid 60-80 lbs less than you.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I don't doubt it. I had to run the one on my Sentinel at 235 psi with a 0.86 spacer and I must weigh a solid 60-80 lbs less than you.
Yeah it did not like weight...was disappointed in it's platform for support. Absolute crap....

Yeah I think I stepped on a marshmallow that had more support, may have been a dog turd but either way it had more platform than this...