Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I've got that too. For skiing, after years of trying different stuff, I broke down and bought heated gloves. Well worth it, especially backcountry where you've got to take gloves off for skin transitions.
I use mittens for that. Usually going uphill my body will make thin gloves work no matter what, but you stop for just a few seconds and I have to get the mittens on. That seems to solve it, but I lose some dexterity obviously.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Have they made the tenets any bigger? Last I checked I still preferred the size of my large CB stamps.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Have they made the tenets any bigger? Last I checked I still preferred the size of my large CB stamps.
They seem plenty big to me but they are not as long as the Stamps. For reference they are 110mm by 105mm--they feel roomy, stiff and grippy to me, but I have small feet (size 9.5).

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Got a pair of Giro Terraduros. Between the global scarcity and our local inflated prices, getting a pair of decent riding shoes with adequate fit proved to be a nightmare. I use to walk a lot when climbing in our multi-day alpine routes, so having a comfortable sole was a must. I was tempted to take my chances on a EU or US based web shop, but was afraid of getting the wrong size.

I'll be giving them their proper trail baptism tomorrow.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Got a pair of Giro Terraduros. Between the global scarcity and our local inflated prices, getting a pair of decent riding shoes with adequate fit proved to be a nightmare. I use to walk a lot when climbing in our multi-day alpine routes, so having a comfortable sole was a must. I was tempted to take my chances on a EU or US based web shop, but was afraid of getting the wrong size.

I'll be giving them their proper trail baptism tomorrow.
I wore them for several years until I went to flats on my trail bike, never had any issues with BIG HAB sections in them.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I finished building up my short travel bike. This thing feels like it will be a blast! 150/170, 465mm reach, 63* ha, 345mm bb, 435 or 450mm cs, 35% progression, blah blah. Aenomaly Switchgrade on a 210mm OneUp dropper at 76* sa. It can do 140mm up to 180mm rear travel depending on shock stroke. It is progressive enough to cut some stroke off without making it feel too linear.

BA3751CC-D799-44F3-8085-8258506C7713.jpeg

Aenamaly Switchgrade is my new favorite bike part. The 3 positions are so practical for my uses and preferences.

F5214533-1DEE-4EF5-ABDD-AE499C51C89A.jpeg

2058F35B-1CAD-4CE8-8D3A-A568BACA27D3.jpeg

3E617E5D-C578-480F-8C4C-915F445758CD.jpeg

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Aenamaly Switchgrade is my new favorite bike part. The 3 positions are so practical for my uses and preferences.
I am really scratching my head on this thing. I am either climbing in the saddle or want he fucking thing out of the way.

Where would you change your saddle position/angle and actually want to sit on it?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Got a new fork from a buddy for my kid...fox 36 rythm 150mm..took air piston out snagged the piston it's .3mm smaller due to the rythm stanchions being thicker ID..made it a 170mm
Took down a beveled edge to get it to go in took down the edge of face by o-ring...
The stock seal head by snap on a rythm is garbage 1 seal...reg Na2 is 2 seals and a bushing also all components are aluminum.
The rod has a hole on a regular na2 for air bleed where the rythm does not...not the inside of stanchion has equalization bleed divot like all the forks with Evol so the mod worked perfect
20220214_231149.jpg
20220214_231133.jpg
20220214_231115.jpg
20220214_231016.jpg
20220214_231043.jpg

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Not much saddle time yet, and I've already given up on the X2. Pretty sure it was valved for someone 50lbs heavier than me. Swapped it for a Super Deluxe with the proper LL tune, but haven't had dry trails to test it yet. But at least I get to dig.

Attachments

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I am really scratching my head on this thing. I am either climbing in the saddle or want he fucking thing out of the way.

Where would you change your saddle position/angle and actually want to sit on it?
Steep climbs feel good with the nose of the saddle tipped down but feels terrible on flat rolling terrain or downhill.

The seat position is always a compromise on my bikes with dropper posts when downhilling compared to my DH bike.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Steep climbs feel good with the nose of the saddle tipped down but feels terrible on flat rolling terrain or downhill.

The seat position is always a compromise on my bikes with dropper posts when downhilling compared to my DH bike.
I've been riding one a bit too, and honestly haven't been using the nose down position all that much, even climbing pretty steep fire roads. YMMV but it's honestly not that useful for me, personally.

Having the seat nose up is really nice for descending, though. You get the back of the seat down and out of the way, but the nose is still there to help stabilize against your leg, etc. There is such a thing as having to seat lower than ideal to descend, even though you're not sitting down, and the nose up angle is great for getting a bit more clearance without compromising that.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I've been riding one a bit too, and honestly haven't been using the nose down position all that much, even climbing pretty steep fire roads. YMMV but it's honestly not that useful for me, personally.

Having the seat nose up is really nice for descending, though. You get the back of the seat down and out of the way, but the nose is still there to help stabilize against your leg, etc. There is such a thing as having to seat lower than ideal to descend, even though you're not sitting down, and the nose up angle is great for getting a bit more clearance without compromising that.
I have a sore lower back since forever so that might be partly why I am liking the nose down more lately.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I have a sore lower back since forever so that might be partly why I am liking the nose down more lately.
Yeah, fair enough. I definitely wasn't saying there's no use in going nose down for anybody, just throwing in my $0.02 after spending some time on one.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Yeah, fair enough. I definitely wasn't saying there's no use in going nose down for anybody, just throwing in my $0.02 after spending some time on one.
For sure. I know you weren’t.

I’m surprising myself with my seat angles I‘ve been running lately. The ebike is the worst because it spends it’s time going up the steepest grades. The 3 positions are useful in my case.

Remember those Chris Porter Geometron bike check pics?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Hmm. I don't have that problem, but I also like a pretty stretched out position when in the saddle. It makes more sense if in a shorter more vertical position. Also never consider sitting when the saddle is down.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Any issues with tire buzz when descending with nose up and a big wheel out back?
Tire buzz on the seat, or your taint?

I can (barely) squeeze the Switchgrade and a 240 drop OneUp post in on a Nicolai G1 at 175 mm rear travel. Though honestly, I don't need that much drop. The Switchgrade does make the back of the seat something like 20-30 mm lower depending on the seat and how far it's slid forward/back on the rails so YMMV depending on the configuration.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'm 6' tall and wear 32'' inseam pants. So I'm sorta tall, but not that tall.

My ideal seat height (BB center to top of seat) is about 785 mm on bikes with fairly steep seat tubes and 170 cranks, FWIW. I'm about 20mm away from being able to bottom the collar of the 240 post in the medium G1, due to insertion limits, but that just barely works for me. It fits easily in my hardtail, with about 30mm to spare.

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Vive la France!
Or
Go Dutchie!
Or mebbe old Yugoslavia??
Lol...always got to have comments ...glad you don't change...always makes me laugh....

Don't run from a fight
Don't like pastries and dutch boy hair cuts
Never liked yugos ..

Good ol hold my beer, guns, off road race trucks, bacon, fighting and fast cars, bikes and mx .
America....

Lol

gonefirefightin

free wieners
No buddies at spoke-x are set up for powder coat so I let them PC em...they have a wheel Smith spoke cutter and threader...
I could but don't feel like setting up a OfferUp oven I'm my garage lol...

Check out spoke-x hunter and the guys build some high end builds ..

I actually have my own phil woods spoke machine as well as an oven in the garage, I just figured you were crafty. I was wrong

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I actually have my own phil woods spoke machine as well as an oven in the garage, I just figured you were crafty. I was wrong
Shit I'm king crafty lol...but don't have room in lab for it...I want to make a home line of ano tanks and PC at some point...as well as get a small table CNC machine.

How do you like your Phill wood machine?
I want one....not that I'd use it alot but I still want one.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Shit I'm king crafty lol...but don't have room in lab for it...I want to make a home line of ano tanks and PC at some point...as well as get a small table CNC machine.

How do you like your Phill wood machine?
I want one....not that I'd use it alot but I still want one.
Ive had it for years, 2 digit serial number in fact, being able to buy spokes in bulk and cut your own is where its at. I find wheel building to be a zen like meditative process for me.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Ive had it for years, 2 digit serial number in fact, being able to buy spokes in bulk and cut your own is where its at. I find wheel building to be a zen like meditative process for me.
Same here ..I like getting lost in a build I love suspension and tuning as well same thing for me....go out put headphones on and disappear..

That's cool yeah I want one, been looking around..pricey..

This was yesterday's "with"
Older fox, assume never been serviced but oring fell apart like poop...the o-ring on right is what it looked like back a hundred years agom
20220217_234933.jpg
20220217_234904.jpg
20220217_234837.jpg

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I have been a suspension nut ever since I ran triple bypass and remote resi coilovers on my jeeps and buggys, never looked back since then. MTB stuff is pretty simple for me compared to new moto and off road race suspension. Having a large cylinder of nitrogen in the shop helps as well. I am thinking I will build this years DH rig with ohlins stuff as it seems a bit more modern/tuneable to me. always been a fox fanboy when it comes to mtb