Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I wondered about that. Place to store:
- floatation for lake jumping
- dirt jump grooming tools, spade, toothbrush, etc
- lunch for the crew
- airbag deploys from here
- really didn’t want to wear a fanny pack
- no water bottle mounts, so this will have to do

tell us!
Pretty much the last 2 in your list. Wanted to carry water, snacks, and assorted contraband to the trails in the summer heat without wearing a bag. It's working out pretty well so far :banana:
Shonk (1600x1067).jpg

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
With an oversized fork and undersized wheels, this steel HT is a fun machine. New Archer rocker remote and PNW Loam++ gripz.

I missed the sale on the Archer shifter, I'll wait till the next one, I never sent my two faulty original ones back for the update.
Pretty crazy that something with Bluetooth can't be updated OTA.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
The new remote is a game changer for Archer.
Not hard considering how shit the first one was, just putting a battery in was a mission, the springs would shoot the battery out so you had to hold the pissy little screws as you undid them as one little wrong move and bam, they are in the lawn again.
I had to pretty much take my battery out every ride with either remote or it would stay on and run the battery flat, the remotes did behave slightly differently to each other from what I remember.
I can't think of a bike part that has tortured my more than the D1X, I will still buy the new remote as Saint mechs are awesome but Shimano shifters are hot garbage, plus there is no 11spd Saint.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
ordered a Garbaruk cassette, derailleur cage and pulley wheels yesterday. I probably should have emailed first to check they are still making and shipping bike parts... If I'm not mistaken, they are Ukrainian, but now located in Poland. Maybe they've turned their efforts to supporting the war effort? Who knows... I'm not in a huge hurry.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
ordered a Garbaruk cassette, derailleur cage and pulley wheels yesterday. I probably should have emailed first to check they are still making and shipping bike parts... If I'm not mistaken, they are Ukrainian, but now located in Poland. Maybe they've turned their efforts to supporting the war effort? Who knows... I'm not in a huge hurry.
Your cassette is now an RPG.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I got the special tool from EXT needed to remove the air shaft, and some of the clip-on travel reducers to drop my ERA to 160 from 170. I could have sent it in but was curious to see the insides myself, and didn't want to be without a fork / bike for a couple weeks. Goal was to rein in my slack-ass Megatrail MX's head angle to something more trail friendly (was 63.2 with a reversed offset bushing before, now it's 64.2).

IMG_2398.JPG

2 sets of 10mm travel spacers (1 extra in case I ever want to go to 150), and the expensive tool

IMG_2407.JPG

They use this sort of threaded interface, rather than a c-clip like Fox. And a LOT of red Loctite.

IMG_2408.JPG

The travel spacers are held together with an o-ring. You take off the o-ring then clip the spacer on the top of the lower grey bit after pushing the bumper up, then slide the retaining o-ring on from the top.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Those Rockies get such great reviews. As you said, they plough but still have pop. I really wanted to pick one up but they were like hen’s teeth during the pandemic.

your build looks mental, super jelly

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
One of the main things I like about the Altitude is the number of possible adjustments to dial it in to your liking. Chainstay length is adjustable with the chips, you can run an offset bushing and there's no internal headset BS so you can run angle/reach sets with no issue. Then you have the Ride 9 system as well, which has a large effect on leverage rate and travel as well as geo. Thankfully this one doesn't have any of the alignment issues I had with the last Altitude I owned.

Here's the range of leverage/travel adjustment you get with the Ride 9 system. It's based on the previous gen Altitude, but concept is the same.

Rocky Ride9 Leverage Chart.jpeg

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
One of the main thing I like about the Altitude is the number of possible adjustments to dial it in to your liking. Chainstay length is adjustable with the chips, you can run an offset bushing and there's no internal headset BS so you can run angle/reach sets with no issue. Then you have the Ride 9 system as well, which has a large effect on progressiveness and travel as well as geo. Thankfully this one doesn't have any of the alignment issues I had with the last Altitude I owned.

Here's the range of leverage/travel adjustment you get with the Ride 9 system. It's based on the previous gen Altitude, but concept is the same.

View attachment 175379
Don’t forget how all that adjustability makes it an excellent Mullet candidate, for those who do such things.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Not mine, but the girlfriend's birthday is in Tuesday; did some haggling and got a OneUp post for her bike. The Reverb that came on this thing would stop working if the weather turned slightly cold and you had to push down on it at just the right angle, or it wouldn't go down.

Easy three beer job. Had one immediate regret moment while pulling the new cable through the frame, but she worked out.

Supposed to pickup the new air shaft for my fork and then can finally start thinking about building up the new frame. Weather looks absolutely prime in Sunday though, so might have to hold off...

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Not mine, but the girlfriend's birthday is in Tuesday; did some haggling and got a OneUp post for her bike. The Reverb that came on this thing would stop working if the weather turned slightly cold and you had to push down on it at just the right angle, or it wouldn't go down.

Easy three beer job. Had one immediate regret moment while pulling the new cable through the frame, but she worked out.

Supposed to pickup the new air shaft for my fork and then can finally start thinking about building up the new frame. Weather looks absolutely prime in Sunday though, so might have to hold off...
Oooh, what is it, a 5010? I love the color, the alloy frame looks better than crabonz, IMO.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Kabolt X is the axle needed for new 38s and 36s.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Just got this in from Nova Scotia, thank you covid.

Ditching the Sram derailleur because bent (assumption) and not paying $180 to replace it vs $90 for this Deore.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I suggest buying a couple chains wherever you can so you’ve got backups. They can still be tough to find. SLX works great.

I greatly enjoy Shimano 12s, but haven’t used Deore myself.

Just got this in from Nova Scotia, thank you covid.

Ditching the Sram derailleur because bent (assumption) and not paying $180 to replace it vs $90 for this Deore.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I suggest buying a couple chains wherever you can so you’ve got backups. They can still be tough to find. SLX works great.

I greatly enjoy Shimano 12s, but haven’t used Deore myself.
True and good suggestion, chains up here are still kind of vapourware.

I have a brand new Shimano chain on the bike, but should get a spare....if one can be found.