Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
@canadmos I bought a few Shimano 12 spd chains from Steed Cycles and since you're in Canada, it could be a good source if you want to grab some. I just checked and they currently have Deore/SLX/XT in stock, free shipping over 99$. I also bought a Deore 6100 rear derailleur just in case, but I have no doubt that it would work just as well as my current SLX.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
True and good suggestion, chains up here are still kind of vapourware.

I have a brand new Shimano chain on the bike, but should get a spare....if one can be found.
On the topic of chains: are 12s chains compatible with 11s systems? (as in, do they work well?). I've read they are, but would like confirmation from people I trust.

Also, are Shimano chains still incompatible with quick links?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
you tell me

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
you tell me

thanks! (though I could have done without the snark... but I guess this is teh :monkey: way)

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
On the topic of chains: are 12s chains compatible with 11s systems? (as in, do they work well?). I've read they are, but would like confirmation from people I trust.

I have used a 12 spd Shimano chain on an XT 11 speed cassette for a season (with 12 speed chainring and derailleur). It worked, but it felt like the chain would (very) slightly rub on the cogs which didn't give the best shifting. When I switched to a 12 speed cassette the next year, the shifting was much better. The 11 speed chain is a tiny bit wider than the 12spd and I guess the tolerances are tighter at that number of cogs.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I have used a 12 spd Shimano chain on an XT 11 speed cassette for a season (with 12 speed chainring and derailleur). It worked, but it felt like the chain would (very) slightly rub on the cogs which didn't give the best shifting. When I switched to a 12 speed cassette the next year, the shifting was much better. The 11 speed chain is a tiny bit wider than the 12spd and I guess the tolerances are tighter at that number of cogs.

Good info, and that's largely been my experience as well (12 spd chain ring, 12 spd chain, 11 spd cassette/derailleur/shifter). Its not great, but functional. I've avoided going full 12 spd on principal and since my 11 spd stuff works fine, but I may have to break down and make the switch. Saw that Shimano was making a 51 tooth 11 spd cassette, but I wasn't sure about how it would shift in the bigger cogs since my current 46 tooth is only OK at best when going into the big cogs.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Good info, and that's largely been my experience as well (12 spd chain ring, 12 spd chain, 11 spd cassette/derailleur/shifter). Its not great, but functional. I've avoided going full 12 spd on principal and since my 11 spd stuff works fine, but I may have to break down and make the switch. Saw that Shimano was making a 51 tooth 11 spd cassette, but I wasn't sure about how it would shift in the bigger cogs since my current 46 tooth is only OK at best when going into the big cogs.
good info there... I'm sticking to 11-sp, out of principle I suppose. But I do like the notion of a wide-range cassette, especially since this year will be a re-building year for me (fitness and confidence-wise). I ordered a Garbaruk cassette, derailleur cage, pulley wheels and chainring. Maybe I'll ask them if they have any insight into what chain works best....

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
For what it's worth, I have tried Microshift's Acolyte 8 speed 11-46t drivetrain all winter on my fat bike and was pleasantly surprised. Crisp and precise shifting, clutched derailleur, steel cassette that will last years, all for like 80Euro. I think I prefered it over the 11 speed XT cassette/SLX der.+shifter that I used the previous winter, and the shifter+der.+cassette were so cheap. Hell I woulnd't even mind using it on my main bike if I had to.

Last edited:

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Microshift is doing good, imho.

They just released a 20" special kids specific versions of their Advent and Acolyte groups. I will definitely get one for my boy's 20" Kubike. The Shimano gripshift it came with is horrible for kids.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
thanks! (though I could have done without the snark... but I guess this is teh :monkey: way)
To be fair, Shimano has had 11 speed quick links for years now. And all the 12 speed Shimano chains use them. They were a hold out forever, but it seems to be the way forward - though I never had a problem with the connecting pins.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I've had the shimano ones fall apart. When I was disconnecting my chain to minimize weight in my bike bag the links jus literally fell off the pins and disintegrated.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've had the shimano ones fall apart. When I was disconnecting my chain to minimize weight in my bike bag the links jus literally fell off the pins and disintegrated.

I am often puzzled by the struggles you have with certain components that seem to work without problem for most others.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
good info there... I'm sticking to 11-sp, out of principle I suppose. But I do like the notion of a wide-range cassette, especially since this year will be a re-building year for me (fitness and confidence-wise). I ordered a Garbaruk cassette, derailleur cage, pulley wheels and chainring. Maybe I'll ask them if they have any insight into what chain works best....
Sram 11 speed chain works best with that combo.
11 speed Shimano with the cage is a lot more durable than 12 speed.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Got it together. OF COURSE the rear brake hose is two inches too short. :mad::D

And this v1 OneUp post doesn't seem to like the cable routing.

Someone better have a brake hose in stock...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Bought a fox transfer for the bike, thought my fox D.O.S.S. was finally throwing in the towel...pulled air cap off bottom replaced seal,replaced Schrader,cleaned it out threw some fox float fluid in their...SOB is still kicking @$$...
So I'm going to ace the transfer lol

The D.O.S.S. is 2015 never rebuilt buddy rocked it , his buddy rocked it and I've been beating on it since being back...going to see how long it goes till it takes a crap.

My oneup took a crap new cart under warranty is on its way...

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Put some new rotors on three months ago, they saw dirt for the first time this evening. Bikes are cheap when you don't ride them.
IMG_20220501_181019.jpg

EDIT- I am the stoopidest human, go for two rides and email Starling about a custom mullet downcunty bike, better get Saving I guess, hahaha!

Last edited:

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
it's a beaut'!

is it me or is that a mighty small cassette?! You could probably even see the brake disc if you were looking at it head on! you must have massive quads!
Thanks mate. Took it out for a spin yesterday after a nasty training session. I was a bit stuffed, but still found that it rolls pretty well, and I think I like it better than 29 in starty-stoppy-kinda techy single track.

That cassette is a 10 speed 11-36. The front (32 I think) throws off the comparison. Where I live there's not a need for massive dinner plates on the back. I find they add unnecessary weight, and skinny chains might break faster. Lighter and stronger is always a better combination in my book. If you get 2nd hand or "old" tech, you can get it relatively cheap too.

Quads are relatively normal, sadly. That said, I've been finding out about this Liver King fellow. Maybe I should try some raw liver to replicate his gainz.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Express delivery from Poland arrived today
1651847689301.png

I thought this would take months to arrive since the cassette is made to order... But I ordered this April 20th, and they shipped in May 4th. It took two days to arrive from Poland via DHL. Didn't have to pay duty, just taxes and the customs handling fee of $20 (which is double the normal postal service rate, but imo still reasonable for how quickly it came). I'm astounded (and almost embarassed about the embedded GHGs... maybe I'll plant a tree this weekend). Now I just need to procure a new SRAM chain...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Express delivery from Poland arrived today
View attachment 176090

I thought this would take months to arrive since the cassette is made to order... But I ordered this April 20th, and they shipped in May 4th. It took two days to arrive from Poland via DHL. Didn't have to pay duty, just taxes and the customs handling fee of $20 (which is double the normal postal service rate, but imo still reasonable for how quickly it came). I'm astounded (and almost embarassed about the embedded GHGs... maybe I'll plant a tree this weekend). Now I just need to procure a new SRAM chain...
Must. Resist. Blue. Parts....
1651899305664.png