Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Just bought some new kicks. Fizik Gravita Tensor. Probably the weirdest-looking pair of shoes I now own. But they are the only ones that (mostly) fit. For how fucking expensive shoes are now that we can't order from the Europeans, you'd think they could at least make them in half sizes... nothing like paying 240 Canadian pesos for a pair of shoes that almost fit right. Or are the least bad option. Pricks.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Just bought some new kicks. Fizik Gravita Tensor. Probably the weirdest-looking pair of shoes I now own. But they are the only ones that (mostly) fit. For how fucking expensive shoes are now that we can't order from the Europeans, you'd think they could at least make them in half sizes... nothing like paying 240 Canadian pesos for a pair of shoes that almost fit right. Or are the least bad option. Pricks.
What size did you get? Got the same ones last year. 44 iirc. Happy with them.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
What size did you get? Got the same ones last year. 44 iirc. Happy with them.
Glad to hear that. I got 43. I find the length right, and I can wiggle my toes, but somehow they're still constricting. Does the padding settle in a bit? If it does, I think they will be perfect.

I was looking to replace my Shimano SH-AM701s in size 44. I bought them from Chain Reaction for $100 in 2018. I managed to track down a shop that has the new version in 44, but they're almost an inch longer. They didn't have the 43 for me to try. Yesterday I went to three shops and tried on some Ride Concepts, Giro, Five Tens, and Crank Bros. In all of them, I fall pretty squarely between sizes. But none of them make half sizes. I wouldn't care too much if they weren't so damn expensive. I know I know, first world problems... but still.... try harder; suck less.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Glad to hear that. I got 43. I find the length right, and I can wiggle my toes, but somehow they're still constricting. Does the padding settle in a bit? If it does, I think they will be perfect.

I was looking to replace my Shimano SH-AM701s in size 44. I bought them from Chain Reaction for $100 in 2018. I managed to track down a shop that has the new version in 44, but they're almost an inch longer. They didn't have the 43 for me to try. Yesterday I went to three shops and tried on some Ride Concepts, Giro, Five Tens, and Crank Bros. In all of them, I fall pretty squarely between sizes. But none of them make half sizes. I wouldn't care too much if they weren't so damn expensive. I know I know, first world problems... but still.... try harder; suck less.
Yeah, shoes can be tough. I’m also sort of searching for a brand that fits me tight. These are close enough for now, but I’ll see after this season. I find mine slightly on the narrow side near the front. Also on pedals over 2hrs I find the padding in the forefoot a bit insufficient. Was previously on sombrio I got like 6 pairs of on closeout 10 years ago… and wore those forever. Those finished and the world has moved on… so I’m searching for the next thing. These are closeish.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Got it installed today. Wasn't bad, but not sure why they said to have spanners, didn't use any spanners or wrenches, just two sockets.

Zeb was pretty damn harsh without it. The small bump and off-the top was pretty spikey, bigger hits were ok. Seems like that's where you can't really add any LSC, because you're just adding to that initial stiction spiking and all it does is make it worse. With the Secus, it seems to ride a lot smoother off the top, which also seems to help it track better with a lot of little repetitive sharped edge hits, like small roots, tracking more like how you'd expect 38mm stanchions to track, rather than bouncing off the little stuff more. Don't think I had enough pressure in at first though, towards the end of the ride I realized I was using too much travel, reset everything and seemed ok, but this area is pretty smooth overall, not much in the way of big bumps or hits. Hopefully *that* trail system will be open next week and maybe even get some good stuff in on Sunday. It's definitely not Yarilanche with a Push ACS-3-smooth or live-changing different yet, but it might actually make the Zeb tolerable and is showing promise. The bike with the TTX coil seemed to pair really nice with the coil yarilanche yesterday, but I'm hoping this setup works out without having to go to such extremes.

ViGH43Ttp_C0iyqOwhbw-Ufn80EvqoztGXwg7n5C0TU-1536x2048.jpg

5uFPw9phtjOFafN29EV0t3QUynXLLe2nX7me_FtP7uw-1536x2048.jpg

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Check ifp depth on floats (non reservoir)
Check to make sure head pressure is good and metering rods are working
Check for leaks
Check for airation
Check to make sure adjusters are effective
Works great with fox nude (Scott) and monarch xx for Cannondale and lock outs..especially those with remotes.

There's alot of little uses for it and it's easier to put it on there before bike...I can cycle it test it and check off the circuits and function.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Got it installed today. Wasn't bad, but not sure why they said to have spanners, didn't use any spanners or wrenches, just two sockets.

Zeb was pretty damn harsh without it. The small bump and off-the top was pretty spikey, bigger hits were ok. Seems like that's where you can't really add any LSC, because you're just adding to that initial stiction spiking and all it does is make it worse. With the Secus, it seems to ride a lot smoother off the top, which also seems to help it track better with a lot of little repetitive sharped edge hits, like small roots, tracking more like how you'd expect 38mm stanchions to track, rather than bouncing off the little stuff more. Don't think I had enough pressure in at first though, towards the end of the ride I realized I was using too much travel, reset everything and seemed ok, but this area is pretty smooth overall, not much in the way of big bumps or hits. Hopefully *that* trail system will be open next week and maybe even get some good stuff in on Sunday. It's definitely not Yarilanche with a Push ACS-3-smooth or live-changing different yet, but it might actually make the Zeb tolerable and is showing promise. The bike with the TTX coil seemed to pair really nice with the coil yarilanche yesterday, but I'm hoping this setup works out without having to go to such extremes.

View attachment 176692

View attachment 176692
Loved my secus just don't like the fact I now wake up at 245lbs...so my positive has to be 140psi on 38 so it's maxxed for the secus..but the secus mad a huge difference...

Sold it to run a runt...now I run 80-90psi ...I like both alot...both do what they claim

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Loved my secus just don't like the fact I now wake up at 245lbs...so my positive has to be 140psi on 38 so it's maxxed for the secus..but the secus mad a huge difference...

Sold it to run a runt...now I run 80-90psi ...I like both alot...both do what they claim
I'm playing with the Runt in a 34. When I filled up the fork with the Secus, I tried to make it around 15-20 higher than I had in before, but I was using a different pump, so that kind of sidelined me, I thought I was going to the "same" pressure, but nope.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
So, I just perused the Secus page, and it states that it is compatible with a Runt and Ramp Control. Would that be “too much of a good thing?” Seems like it would be getting into silly-territory. Bull, you try this combo yet?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
So, I just perused the Secus page, and it states that it is compatible with a Runt and Ramp Control. Would that be “too much of a good thing?” Seems like it would be getting into silly-territory. Bull, you try this combo yet?
No but if I need more pressure in top due to larger negative side...then I need less pressure on top due to higher pressure in runt...
Man that's got me thinking about how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie pop...

Hmmm must find out....lol be curious to see the curve on this bad boy lol...I'll order a secus on Monday and throw it on the 38 with the runt...

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I'm playing with the Runt in a 34. When I filled up the fork with the Secus, I tried to make it around 15-20 higher than I had in before, but I was using a different pump, so that kind of sidelined me, I thought I was going to the "same" pressure, but nope.
Yeah secus I'm maxxed 140 but LOVED the way it performed..

Runt I'm 80-90 and high pressure I go 140-170 and it seems to really play well depending on how side..
The runt kicks butt as well...

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

specialized does half sizes

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

View attachment 176692

View attachment 176691
Off the top it's fine, but I seem to be getting some deep-stroke harshness out of it, when pounding through big bumps on steep slopes. Pretty sure this was here before the Secus, just wondering if I can get the performance I want out of this Zeb damper.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Installed a new drivetrain: Garbaruk cassette, chainring, derailleur cage and pulleys. KMC chain. Race Face BB.
1653918988097.png

Wider range will be good as I continue to recover from my back injury, but I'm not sold on how low those derailleur cages get to the ground (maybe it would be ok with 29" wheels, but with 650b it's really low). Still need to shorten the chain though, so maybe that will help? That said, first ride out was with the kid, and it worked flawlessly and quietly. We'll see how it holds up to "real" riding.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Installed a new drivetrain: Garbaruk cassette, chainring, derailleur cage and pulleys. KMC chain. Race Face BB.
View attachment 177103

Wider range will be good as I continue to recover from my back injury, but I'm not sold on how low those derailleur cages get to the ground (maybe it would be ok with 29" wheels, but with 650b it's really low). Still need to shorten the chain though, so maybe that will help? That said, first ride out was with the kid, and it worked flawlessly and quietly. We'll see how it holds up to "real" riding.
Do I know you?

1653951862778.png

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
View attachment 177103

The aluminum first gear will wear before the rest of the cassette unless you stay off of it most the time. But it's a long lasting quality product.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
The aluminum first gear will wear before the rest of the cassette unless you stay off of it most the time. But it's a long lasting quality product.
that's my plan... hope to use it as little as possible.

btw, does anyone have a link to a good resource on how to adjust the b-tension screw? when I have it adjusted how I think it works right, I can't drop into the highest gear, the knuckle of the derailleur seems to hit the chain and prevent it turning. But when i push the derailleur back enough (w the b-tension screw), the chain wrap seems minimal... it's puzzling. and my first time struggling with this...

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Shimano and SRAM both have their requirements listed and it’s easy to follow the required setup/distance.

what caught me out when transitioning to 12sp and large range cassettes is to not make the chain too short. The old rule of 2 spare links does not apply, and the chain needs to be as long as possible i.e. the derailleur should almost be fully ‘collapsed’ when in the small cog on the cassette. If not you will struggle to set the b tension screw and get to the largest cog.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Shimano and SRAM both have their requirements listed and it’s easy to follow the required setup/distance.

what caught me out when transitioning to 12sp and large range cassettes is to not make the chain too short. The old rule of 2 spare links does not apply, and the chain needs to be as long as possible i.e. the derailleur should almost be fully ‘collapsed’ when in the small cog on the cassette. If not you will struggle to set the b tension screw and get to the largest cog.
this

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
dammit. I made the chain as short as possible (removed shock, and held wheel in compressed position with a strap), stretched the derailleur as far forward as possible, and used that as my chain length. I may be a link or two too short. :bonk: I shoulda waited just one more day to get the answers on teh monkey...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
dammit. I made the chain as short as possible (removed shock, and held wheel in compressed position with a strap), stretched the derailleur as far forward as possible, and used that as my chain length. I may be a link or two too short. :bonk: I shoulda waited just one more day to get the answers on teh monkey...
You still have the links to pop back in, right?