Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Is this a 1.8 thickness?

I think as the rotors get super big like this thicker is a good idea not just from heat capacity aspect, but to resist bending too. 2.0 seems like a decent min. Magura is doing that. TRP 2.3.
zooming in on the images they all say min TH=1.5 so i'm assuming yes still 1.8 nominal thickness.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Ordered the new Archer purple paddle remote thingy today because they have 20% off, paid $62 postage!
Rear hub turned up today, have to work out which back rim to run, I have an XM481 up front it should be strong enough for the rear me thinks.......
IMGP8386.jpg

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Last time this happened was 17 years ago. First fully since 2002. Initial impressions are positive. Let’s see how this goes!

943C0B82-1280-4412-9950-C30FE507FBBD.jpeg
6AB2CA59-1ED7-4454-9D87-8A02A8D8216A.jpeg
5806C2F0-B7A7-45DC-9F1A-188E4238B1BD.jpeg

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Soon!

Hope it's only the photo angle making it look so slack... supposed to be 64* HTA based around a 120mm fork.

View attachment 177862
That's what mine was but now it is mulleted with 130mm travel with a 62deg HA, it's still fine for most XC stuff.

EDIT- Two bottle cages, fancy!

Last time this happened was 17 years ago. First fully since 2002. Initial impressions are positive. Let’s see how this goes!

View attachment 177851View attachment 177853View attachment 177852
That's what I should have bought.

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Details man, details!
Oh, thought it was evident from the pics.

Trail oriented build with a mix of parts that skew towards proven parts, with a mix of exotica (for canada) and some local products too. Partially inspired by what was available via mailorder back in March when I ordered the frame.

Nicolai Saturn 14, Medium
DVO Topaz T3 and DVO Diamond D1
DT Swiss wheels, ex471, 240
XT drivetrain and brakes, SRAM shifter
Protaper bars, Intend stem
Bikeyolk Devine dropper
North Shore Billet Daemon Pedals
Build and stealthed by yours truly

Pretty happy with how it came together. The time estimate from Nicolai was pretty on point, it was about 2.5 months order to door. Have some other parts I'll swap in once I get a good sense of this setup.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
16 wasn’t out yet when I ordered this, but they do look very similar. Still would have gone 14 though in the spirit of the trail bias.
14 or 14 ST was on my short list when I was looking last year, ended up with a Smash.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
XT drivetrain, SRAM shifter
12 speed I guess?
Interesting that this combo works. What's the main benefit for you?

I like Shimano double shift and the fact that you can shift with your thumb or index to harder gear.
I seem to prefer the ergonomics of Sram shifter on the other hand as I managed to rub my thumb knuckle on Shimano....

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
12 speed I guess?
Interesting that this combo works. What's the main benefit for you?

I like Shimano double shift and the fact that you can shift with your thumb or index to harder gear.
I seem to prefer the ergonomics of Sram shifter on the other hand as I managed to rub my thumb knuckle on Shimano....
It’s actually 11. I ordered the wrong derailleur late one night (xtr 11/12) and was informed of the err of my ways by my friend as soon as he saw the xtr. It shifts ok as is, but I’m going to replace with an xt of the right era.

I went sram because when I pulled the xt out of the package, it felt horrible… incredibly stiff. I wondered if it was broken. By comparison, every other shifter I’ve ever used (going back 30 yrs) felt dramatically better out of the box. Never mounted it and grabbed a sram… and it works fine. Could be wrong and it works completely differently or loosens up, but that’s how it went. I like how sram shifters work w/ no bs.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It’s actually 11. I ordered the wrong derailleur late one night (xtr 11/12) and was informed of the err of my ways by my friend as soon as he saw the xtr. It shifts ok as is, but I’m going to replace with an xt of the right era.

I went sram because when I pulled the xt out of the package, it felt horrible… incredibly stiff. I wondered if it was broken. By comparison, every other shifter I’ve ever used (going back 30 yrs) felt dramatically better out of the box. Never mounted it and grabbed a sram… and it works fine. Could be wrong and it works completely differently or loosens up, but that’s how it went. I like how sram shifters work w/ no bs.
The shimano double-tap upshift is incredibly stiff for some reason, maybe to prevent un-wanted upshifts. But it's stiff enough it irritates my thumb and I do not find it to be "faster". Sram is like a real light short travel single-action trigger. Shimano is more like a heavy double action.

Back in the day both sram and shimano were really vague and sloppy in 10spd forms and the 1X stuff was way more "positive" and "clicky" as far as shifting and engagement. IMO, shimano carried that too far trying to compete and overcompensated in that direction.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
The shimano double-tap upshift is incredibly stiff for some reason, maybe to prevent un-wanted upshifts. But it's stiff enough it irritates my thumb and I do not find it to be "faster". Sram is like a real light short travel single-action trigger. Shimano is more like a heavy double action.

Back in the day both sram and shimano were really vague and sloppy in 10spd forms and the 1X stuff was way more "positive" and "clicky" as far as shifting and engagement. IMO, shimano carried that too far trying to compete and overcompensated in that direction.
I’ve spent the last very long time on 9spd x0 that still feels amazing.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Weird, must be an issue with Shimano 11 speed only (which I have never used).

I have XT and XTR 12 speed and love the feel of both of them. My son has SLX and it is good as well but lacks the double drop shift. The double shift is awesome and I always miss it when going back to 11 speed SRAM.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Weird, must be an issue with Shimano 11 speed only (which I have never used).

I have XT and XTR 12 speed and love the feel of both of them. My son has SLX and it is good as well but lacks the double drop shift. The double shift is awesome and I always miss it when going back to 11 speed SRAM.

Shimano does require more force, but it isn't a bad tactile feel IMO, still smooth with a nice positive click. I run SRAM and Shimano on my bikes and the only way I can tell the difference when actually riding is the double upshift on the Shimano. But I wouldn't notice if someone put a pea under my mattress either.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The SLX shifter doesn’t suffer from the super heavy up-shift action.

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!