Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
should i assume you have a winter wheelset for this as well?
Yep!

The full fat's really don't get a lot of use here much any longer but I wanted a burly long low slack hard tail with the ability to run the fatties when needed. Otherwise hard tails these days I'm on the plus train.

I'd been doing that with an older Kono Wozo but it was just too small and short for me. Now that I've gotten used to longer lower and slacker I wanted something different. So here we are.

And after a couple months having the Mastodon on on the front of the fat/plus hardtail I would say to anyone looking for a suspension fork for their fat bike do not buy the Bluto. Just spend the money on the Mastodon. Holy s*** it is so freaking good.

Maybe not as much an issue on a full on fat bike that only gets ridden on Winter conditions but for a bike that's doing double duty as a plus hardtail for most of its life? Yeah just get the Mastodon.

Last edited:

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Is that a pro?
I had a comp a few years ago that had issue with misaligned or tight bushings. It took me ages trying to fix everything else before sending it on warranty to the European importer.
When it came back I moved on and sold the fatbike...
The fatbike came with a Bluto which is a wide 32mm Revelation. I expected it to be flexy as a noodle with bad air spring and a horrible moco damper. The Mastodon didn't impress me since it had no sensitivity because of the faulty bushings... it should indeed be better than a bluto

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Just installed the Ohlins back-from-a-tune and put on the 223 TRP 2.3 rotor. I probably need to bleed the front brake now to account for the thicker rotor, despite partially worn pads, but no big issues there.

The shock...holy crap, that's transformative. Bike feels like it's sucked down into the ground at all times. Not like super heavy packing rebound, just being sucked down at all times. Feels crazy. Before it was bouncing off roots and rocks, although not nearly as bad as the EXT did. Now with a tune...damn. You know your suspension is set up right when you suck up those giant scalloped braking bumps that are like 6" and more deep. I probably need just a hair less spring rate, and I have a bunch of springs, but damn, this may be what I was looking for the entire time on the GG. Still lots of support. Ran the middle HSC setting going uphill and even on short downhills, never felt harsh, just had more support.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Nothing exciting for me, still have MT7s, some Intend Rotors and the Stiffmaster headset on their way.

IMG_20220713_203106.jpg

Powdercoat for the frame came too.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Forgot this topic existed so I posted it in the wrong place. Managed to buy one in the 5h it was available. Shity building added for some slavic touch. Still waiting on pedals

IMG_9174.jpeg

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
new boinger. old spring was actually a push too. maybe 3 years old. never seen that before. wtf push???
View attachment 178977
I've got a rusty PUSH spring on mine too--not as bad as that though. I thought it was just me since I have rusted many bolts and shift cables on other bikes with my corrosive and plentiful sweat. Perhaps it's just that we both live in NC which has more heat and humidity than many tropical jungles around the world.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Remote for Archer wireless shifter.
Can your phone find yours after the initial setup?

I hate Archer stuff so fucking much, my phone can't find either device now so I can't make it suit my new cassette, yay.

$260 on a new remote was money well spent......