Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Can your phone find yours after the initial setup?

I hate Archer stuff so fucking much, my phone can't find either device now so I can't make it suit my new cassette, yay.

$260 on a new remote was money well spent......
You sure you do it right? You need to turn on just the shifter to connect it with your phone. I have two shifters and two remotes and no issues connecting to them or setting them up.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
You sure you do it right? You need to turn on just the shifter to connect it with your phone. I have two shifters and two remotes and no issues connecting to them or setting them up.
Yup, tried every way I could think of, doing it as per instructions didn't do anything after the first connection.
I'll reinstall the app and try again.
It would happen with my old remote too, sometimes when the old remote would stuff up I could shift with the phone, others I couldn't, didn't really seem to follow any sort of pattern.
The joys of buying beta level sorta stuff.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Yup, tried every way I could think of, doing it as per instructions didn't do anything after the first connection.
It would happen with my old remote too, sometimes when the old remote would stuff up I could shift with the phone, others I couldn't, didn't really seem to follow any sort of pattern.
That's really weird. The new remotes are awesome. Have you tried to contact Devin directly? He's always ready to help.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
That's really weird. The new remotes are awesome. Have you tried to contact Devin directly? He's always ready to help.
Nah I just swore a lot and put my bike away, with the zombie one if you got angry and left the bike for a few weeks the shifter would behave properly for maybe one or two rides...........or for five minutes.
I'll try to get it to connect again, if it doesn't I'll contact them.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
What's new / different on this one? Is it fuelled by Jupiler?
I have a lot of Belgian friends stopping by in the summers. He wants a fork rebuild and bushing sizing so he’s paid in advance!

They are all slightly different with the progression, reach and head angle. This one is full DH suspension and geo but can take a dropper post for Portes du Soleil tours. It’s fun having a DH bike I can traverse comfortably. Also, I get better at fabrication each frame I make one so I’m enjoying the process. There’s no point to this really other than playing with bikes and checking out geometry and suspension combos. I’d like to make an emoto soon.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
@buckoW
I remember you started building your own frames to try out the idea of a stiff rear end combined to a flexier front end. How big is the difference between a full carbon Gambler, your frames and maybe even an alloy Gambler? You changed the geometry and the leverage which might bring bigger changes in how the bikes feel but maybe you can find a difference anyway? My conceptual understanding is that a softer front triangle would allow to "bend" the bike into a turn...:nerd:

Did you try different tube diameters and thicknesses by the way?

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
first person ive heard actually rode one. there was a bit of a kerfuffle a year or two ago with them over on vital.
For sure, Miles has ptsd from the vital meltdown. I met him shuttling bikes last year. Finally got around to Mullet headquarters in Boise at 4th of July and threw a leg over a handful of Mullet's. One thing led to another and here we are. This bike is a pile of no-no's in my world. 29er, aluminum hardtail, 35mm ID rims on 2.4 tires, RS fork (wtf).

I said fuck it, gimme the sauce. I've stuck with what I know for years and years, should be interesting to go down some rabbit holes.

@Tantrum Cycles I am sorry for being an asshole.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
For sure, Miles has ptsd from the vital meltdown. I met him shuttling bikes last year. Finally got around to Mullet headquarters in Boise at 4th of July and threw a leg over a handful of Mullet's. One thing led to another and here we are. This bike is a pile of no-no's in my world. 29er, aluminum hardtail, 35mm ID rims on 2.4 tires, RS fork (wtf).

I said fuck it, gimme the sauce. I've stuck with what I know for years and years, should be interesting to go down some rabbit holes.

@Tantrum Cycles I am sorry for being an asshole.
i don't doubt they're nice guys in person and that the bikes are good, but I really don't feel bad for them over how they got treated on vital. they made a lot of very bold claims and provided exactly nothing to back them up, and outright refused when asked. they refused to even publish their geometry and basically told everyone they don't understand bike geometry and cycling kinematics, and were generally pretty condescending about it.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
i don't doubt they're nice guys in person and that the bikes are good, but I really don't feel bad for them over how they got treated on vital. they made a lot of very bold claims and provided exactly nothing to back them up, and outright refused when asked. they refused to even publish their geometry and basically told everyone they don't understand bike geometry and cycling kinematics, and were generally pretty condescending about it.
Yeah I believe that. Miles doesn't seem to really care about proving anything to anyone. He thinks if he shares the geo then it's all over from there!

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
yea that's kind of a nonstarter for a lot of people.
I don't think he's planning producing these for the masses. His bread and butter is his bike accessories company. He started Mullet with Foes dude who had the original OG proto of what became Mullet.

I can tell you more about if it's titties or not in a few weeks.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Probably going to put a smaller chainring on it and maybe end up with taller bars. Parking lot test got the cockpit pretty dialed. It felt like a dirt jumper. I was fufanuing the curb without much effort. With the saddle up it feels like a peppy xc machine.

Resized_20220717_143254.jpeg

Then there's the bronze head badge...

Resized_20220717_143308.jpeg

Last edited:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
@rideit he started Miles Wide Industries and has a line of things that are sold through bti, quality, etc...

Miles told me he doesn't put the geo out because it doesn't compare against what people consider "normal" geo. It's all out of whack and people will write it off or end up stealing it.

I for one have never really put alot of stock into the geometry of the frames I ride. I just want fun bikes.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
This has nothing to do with the bikes, but I was always appalled that he charges $35 for the Fork Cork. Good idea, but maybe $12 max at retail?
Yeah I don't know. He invented it and can charge whatever he wants I suppose. I put one on this bike because I was fondling the fork cork and it's actually pretty dang functional.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
@buckoW
I remember you started building your own frames to try out the idea of a stiff rear end combined to a flexier front end. How big is the difference between a full carbon Gambler, your frames and maybe even an alloy Gambler? You changed the geometry and the leverage which might bring bigger changes in how the bikes feel but maybe you can find a difference anyway? My conceptual understanding is that a softer front triangle would allow to "bend" the bike into a turn...:nerd:

Did you try different tube diameters and thicknesses by the way?
Yes, I’m interested in the compliance/flex of the 3 materials. It’s cool to try carbon, alu and steel and mix them all around. They all feel different and I like them all. The carbon is interesting because it is so much lighter that you can put a lot of weight in the bb to have the same frame weight as the other 2 but with a much lower cog. This kind of shit is so nerdy and not really useful for anything other than my curiosity. The feel between the 3 materials is pretty big. What that means for grip? I don’t know.

To simplify the alu feels like a spring but a dead spring, the carbon feels like an elastic spring and the steel feels somewhere in between but more elastic than dead. It has more absorption characteristics than carbon and springs back when loaded but with a bit of give. I’m not sure what any of this means for anyone but I like to think about it and feel the differences.

You should come ride them one day. I would totally set you up so you could compare the materials if you’d like to feel it for yourself. Maybe you’d have to run your own wheels if you are a smasher. @Lelandjt stopped by and tried my smallest trail bike version. He sent everything I put in front of him.

Here’s the latest one all built up.
50F19E6F-213F-43EE-B86C-883190B6A589.jpeg

6F768435-DBB2-4263-939C-CCD04C172592.jpeg

2FA5CC8D-200F-425F-AC1F-53B6283F703D.jpeg

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Ok, figured out who Miles is.
This is some seriously poorly written copy in here, kind of off-putting.

$3k for an aluminum, super basic single pivot made in Asia.... :thumbsdown:
I know what it costs to have an alloy frame made in Asia, the fact the are selling these for $3000 is crazy.

Straight from the FAQ.....

Q: Why aren’t your bikes made in the USA?
A: We don’t write Grants asking the Government for money. We also don’t have a trust fund like most bike companies.
We live and die by the sword. There are only 2 manufactures left in the US who is production capable. If we’d manufacture them in the US, you’d likely purchase a Sprinter Van instead.

Q: Why don’t you release your Geometry and Specs?
A: Why doesn’t McDonalds release their Sweet & Sour sauce formulation? So everyone can’t copy it.

:wtf:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
It would be fantastic if they only sold their dually frames with Avalanche shocks.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
$3k for an aluminum, super basic single pivot made in Asia.... :thumbsdown:
I know what it costs to have an alloy frame made in Asia, the fact the are selling these for $3000 is crazy.

Straight from the FAQ.....

Q: Why aren’t your bikes made in the USA?
A: We don’t write Grants asking the Government for money. We also don’t have a trust fund like most bike companies.
We live and die by the sword. There are only 2 manufactures left in the US who is production capable. If we’d manufacture them in the US, you’d likely purchase a Sprinter Van instead.

Q: Why don’t you release your Geometry and Specs?
A: Why doesn’t McDonalds release their Sweet & Sour sauce formulation? So everyone can’t copy it.

:wtf:
Miles is a dirtbag who has found a living making and designing mtb accessories. He funded his entire Mullet brand by selling sticky pods and cable buddies.

The guy is real, but he doesn't fit the mold. If you don't like what you see then your probably not going to buy one of his bikes, ammirite?

If I hadn't met Miles and tried the bikes I'd be skeptical and would enjoy ragging on them. Miles is a nice guy though and I get his attitude. He's my people, LOL. I can't defend his idiosyncrasies but I don't want to, that's the shit I enjoy the most. I laugh when I read the website, it's like a satire, but the bikes are rad.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Yes, I’m interested in the compliance/flex of the 3 materials. It’s cool to try carbon, alu and steel and mix them all around. They all feel different and I like them all. The carbon is interesting because it is so much lighter that you can put a lot of weight in the bb to have the same frame weight as the other 2 but with a much lower cog. This kind of shit is so nerdy and not really useful for anything other than my curiosity. The feel between the 3 materials is pretty big. What that means for grip? I don’t know.

To simplify the alu feels like a spring but a dead spring, the carbon feels like an elastic spring and the steel feels somewhere in between but more elastic than dead. It has more absorption characteristics than carbon and springs back when loaded but with a bit of give. I’m not sure what any of this means for anyone but I like to think about it and feel the differences.

You should come ride them one day. I would totally set you up so you could compare the materials if you’d like to feel it for yourself. Maybe you’d have to run your own wheels if you are a smasher. @Lelandjt stopped by and tried my smallest trail bike version. He sent everything I put in front of him.

Here’s the latest one all built up.
Isn't Dean Lucas riding the aluminum Gambler for "compliance" reasons? I think it was mentioned in one of the pits slide shows or videos.