Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Hayes A4s have a nasty bulge… I had to grind down a Galfer adapter to run it on a 220 rotor. Hayes doesn’t sell an adapter for 220/180PM yet.

Same issue with contact on a 220 Magura adapter I have.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
@mykel NSB website has different +20 and +23 versions so they seem to be aware of the geo issues. Maybe the 200mm mount to 220 rotor adapter would be close enough? Worth an email to NSB.
View attachment 181761
Ya, fired them a message yesterday asking about this issue.
Also mentioned the radial placement / alignment thought that @Westy mentioned.
Will let you guys know if they have any insight.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Hayes A4s have a nasty bulge… I had to grind down a Galfer adapter to run it on a 220 rotor. Hayes doesn’t sell an adapter for 220/180PM yet.

Same issue with contact on a 220 Magura adapter I have.
The Hope 20mm adapter works for my 200mm rotors with Dominions. I'd imagine the Hope 40mm adapter (assuming it exists) fits.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I don’t believe it’s the same bulge. Both adapters I have in hand have the V bend for bulge clearance - the issue is that A4s bulge is slightly larger and in a slightly different position than other calipers.

But no I haven’t tried the Formula adapter - thanks for the idea and the Hope option too.

Formulas have the same bulge, and their adapters are bent for that reason. Have you checked them out?

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Picked up new to me 2016 Scott gambler 27.5. Looks like it was someone's 2016 vintage dream build, rux r2c2, i9 torch wheels (aluminum spokes), hope v3s, cane creek dB air, saint drivetrain, raceface carbon cranks. Seems pretty sweet the no name brand front tire doesn't feel very sticky and it's currently tubed. I'll probably grab some new tires and switch it to tubeless if the rear will seal since there's a ding on the rim, but it came with a spare rim if I feel like relacing. Also trying to figure out pedals, saints vs dmr vs nukeproof for spd dh pedals, those xt trail pedals make my feel get a little pressured with the ride concept transitions.
15759AC0-F3AA-452E-BEDE-04860A1A8F49.jpeg

8689CAF6-1670-444C-8816-0CB40C74955C.jpeg

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I don’t believe it’s the same bulge. Both adapters I have in hand have the V bend for bulge clearance - the issue is that A4s bulge is slightly larger and in a slightly different position than other calipers.

But no I haven’t tried the Formula adapter - thanks for the idea and the Hope option too.

My Dominion A4's play nice with the NSB adapters.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
since when is onza a no name brand? that’s one of gwin‘s signature tires…
Yes one of my friends who really doesn't file pro mountain biking pointed that out yesterday since it say it in the sidewall, and even he knows gwin. They're still not in the top 8 for brand recognition of bicycle tires.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
less no name, more not well versed in mountainbiking. back 2 school!
They're now cataloged with Hutchinson, vee rubber, and delium as tire brands I've heard of but no one else I know has.

And my wife took a couple runs off our backyard drop and wants to steal it from me.

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Ya, fired them a message yesterday asking about this issue.
Also mentioned the radial placement / alignment thought that @Westy mentioned.
Will let you guys know if they have any insight.
NSB Reply.

"Thanks for contacting us! We actually have brake adapters specifically designed for use with 220mm+ rotors.
The caliper sits at a slightly different point on the rotor with 220/223mm rotors so standard adapters often don't orientate the caliper correctly.

Here is a link to our 20mm 'big rotor' adapter:
https://northshorebillet.ca/collections/disk-brake-adapters/products/post-mount-disk-brake-adapter?variant=41462191784101

Thanks, Sam"

Last edited:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Dat fork isn't looking comfortable enough for hours and hours of pounding
Its mostly for dirt roads so it should mostly feel like spinning. Everywhere else it should help keep my mind sharp. My goal is 11-14 mph for 2 hour rides out the front door. Theres an amazing amount of canal banks, dirt roads, and orchard lanes to connect up never ending variations of loops.

24" wheels?
27.5 x 2.25f
27.5x2.25r

That rear 2.25 doesnt exactly fit so it'll be 2.1 when I find a suitable contender. I am noticing alot of 27.5x2.1ish tires are out of stock everywhere...

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Its mostly for dirt roads so it should mostly feel like spinning. Everywhere else it should help keep my mind sharp. My goal is 11-14 mph for 2 hour rides out the front door. Theres an amazing amount of canal banks, dirt roads, and orchard lanes to connect up never ending variations of loops.

27.5 x 2.25f
27.5x2.25r

That rear 2.25 doesnt exactly fit so it'll be 2.1 when I find a suitable contender. I am noticing alot of 27.5x2.1ish tires are out of stock everywhere...
Are you like 7 feet tall? The proportions are all wonky on that bike, I though it had bmx wheels, they look smaller than 26ers.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
@Leafy I am 6'4" and the frame is a 60cm. I wanted to run bigger tires than the last Soma I built up so instead of 700c I went 650b and can now stuff bigger meat between the stays...

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I'd never heard of Soma before I saw one two days ago and now one pops up on RM. It's a fucken conspiracy man
Tell me about it. I was looking (for the first time ever) at a Soma rigid fork earlier today for my old 26" hardtail.

Coincidence? I think not! Clearly, the Industry Lizards got boostindoubles and turned him into some kind of slave-bot. So sad... :(

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Tell me about it. I was looking (for the first time ever) at a Soma rigid fork earlier today for my old 26" hardtail.

Coincidence? I think not! Clearly, the Industry Lizards got boostindoubles and turned him into some kind of slave-bot. So sad... :(
Damn... that explains all the snakes.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Yes one of my friends who really doesn't file pro mountain biking pointed that out yesterday since it say it in the sidewall, and even he knows gwin. They're still not in the top 8 for brand recognition of bicycle tires.
I would give that tire a shot. I kinda like them (if they are the soft compound version), it is somewhere between a DHF and DHR II for grip and a tad less aggressive cornering.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
I would give that tire a shot. I kinda like them (if they are the soft compound version), it is somewhere between a DHF and DHR II for grip and a tad less aggressive cornering.
I'm going to. I'm sure that even if it feels hard just from age that it has more grip than I have skill. The conti dh tire in supersoft for like $55 from chain reaction right now is tempting though.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

Dat fork isn't looking comfortable enough for hours and hours of pounding

27.5 x 2.25f
27.5x2.25r

why would anyone need anything more than a 38c for that? are you into unnecessary suffering?

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
why would anyone need anything more than a 38c for that? are you into unnecessary suffering?
I've been riding up and down desert ridge-line double track. Nothing like wheelie dropping into a 1ft deep rut in the drops, on 45c.

Heres the Soma this one is moving in on

Resized_20220514_190215.jpeg

Putting in the base miles. The grass gets thick so its hard to see what your running into. The surfaces are changing regularly so more volume really helps. No need to put mega miles on suspension and bikes that belong on singletrack. These rides can begin or end with 2-8 miles of pavement.

Resized_20220527_204322.jpeg
Resized_20220527_202501.jpeg

Resized_20220814_195742(1).jpeg

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Finally decided to upgrade my transmission system to Deore M5100 and ditch my OG 11 spd setup with a super long B-tension screw. New shifter feels delightful and the derailleur seems nice, but the cassette if way loose on the hub splines. As in I can actually see gaps between the splines and the cassette body and it wobbles around like crazy no matter how many hamfist torque units I apply to the lock ring. Figure it had to be worn hub splines, so being cheap and all, I used some tape on the splines to *shim* up the gaps and started looking at a new I9 freehub. Shockingly the tape was eaten up in like 2 rides, which brings back the crazy cassette shakes and piss poor shifting. Before I bought a new freehub body, I slapped on my old XT cassette and the fucking thing is tight as my ass watching Hardline POV runs. I've looked at the exploded diagram of the cassette a million times now, and all the cog spacers are in the order (which would be pretty obvious if they weren't) and I can't figure out what the sam hell is the problem. It's almost like I'm either missing some magic spacer (i.e. shim!) or somehow the tolerances are off with the cassette. As usual, I blame @Gary for suggesting Deore was a solid drivetrain :thumb:

5100.JPG

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
If you're talking about the 11 speed stuff, it's a known issue:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I blame @Gary for suggesting Deore was a solid drivetrain :thumb:
No worries
But I don't actually use Deore.
I use a mix of Zee (fr)mech & Zee shifter with an 11-36t Deore cassette. (SRAM do an 11-36 that's a fair bit lighter if that's your thing (but it is slightly less durable) and SRAM 1030 or 1050 chains
For cranks I use 165 Saint Mk2 with Ali Express alu narrow wides (Got 4 bikes with that crank set-up).
Or Basic Steps with the same rings on my Eeb. I figure weaker cranks there can only be a good thing the amount of motors I fuck the main bearings on

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I'd honestly rather walk than have a bike with a massive ugly cassette, huge long mech and tiny chainring.
Walking is probably faster than 30x52 would be anyway ;)

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I'd honestly rather walk than have a bike with a massive ugly cassette, huge long mech and tiny chainring.
Walking is probably faster than 30x52 would be anyway ;)
Hard to argue with that, but I was under the impression you can't really experience the craic unless you have a dinner plate sized cog. TBH, I'm fine with my old XT cassette, but mainly was just pissed I couldn't get the cassette the groupset actually came with to work. I need to throw it on another hub and see if its still loose AF...if so, I need an anchor for my kayak anyway.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Hard to argue with that, but I was under the impression you can't really experience the craic unless you have a dinner plate sized cog. TBH, I'm fine with my old XT cassette, but mainly was just pissed I couldn't get the cassette the groupset actually came with to work. I need to throw it on another hub and see if its still loose AF...if so, I need an anchor for my kayak anyway.
Just sell it on PB, you could get at least a couple tacos out of it.