Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Just the damper. So far have only been able to test it with some urban hucks to flat. Feels plush but maybe a little under damped for that application, which may be perfect for on the trail. Was mostly interested in it so I can play around with my own tuning.
When did you order yours, btw? I am closing in on 10 weeks of waiting.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Alright, I now further expose my ineptitude.

How does this:
View attachment 188203

do the same thing as this:
View attachment 188204

Both are 20mm, upper has 2 bolts, lower takes 4 bolts.

is a shift of the calliper down a few mm enough to add that much material on the NSB example??

I seem to recall having to faff with spacers to get my a4s setup properly, but I chalked that up to the fact that they were going on a frame from 2010 and a fork from 2008.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
looks like you need a torque wrench for clamping stuff on your carbon bar
Took the collective "you" long enough to comment... I probably do. But given that my clamps would still spin on the bar with very light effort from my dainty hands, I think my bars remain UN-compromised.

Brakes feel good btw... I've got NSB adapters on the way, so I oughtta be able to have a more flushed out opinion to add to the "they're awesome" pile soon.

The only other hiccup I ran into during the install was the bleed port on the front caliper leaked after I'd finished the install. Weird, I guess I need a torque wrench for 2 reasons...Fortunately I noticed when I was trying to assess my pad/rotor overlap with my adapter shenanigans, and the pads didn't get contaminated...

I re-bled the calliper only with the 2-stroke option (fantastic feature) and slapped the caliper back on. Bob became my uncle.

Think I'll treat myself to a nice set of torx to match my Wera Allen heads... For bleed ports, ya know?

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Picked up one of Joetron's Zebs for my GG. Because the Zeb I put on the eeb feels better than my bougie EXT fork on the GG. EXT going up on Pinkbike next week.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
So only 2...3? cracks?
MINT!!!
Lol yeah I went over it and chatted with Tim for over an hour when I bought it...got to know him and his past...good dude not a ripper and afraid of hitting the ground for sure...

I did go over bike with a fine tooth comb and I am more than happy to bring the pain to it ..

And no, his add didn't say wife's bike she decided riding wasn't for her lightly used ...lol...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Sram x01 dh dub crank or sixc cinch crank???

Thoughts on either as far as durability...
Well dub requires the stupid dub bearings or regular 30mm and a shim. I don’t trust RF carbon, but happily run their metal cranks. Im on all 30mm cranks except for my 24mm RF on one bike. Whatever i get next will likely be 30mm spindle if i can still find em.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Well dub requires the stupid dub bearings or regular 30mm and a shim. I don’t trust RF carbon, but happily run their metal cranks. Im on all 30mm cranks except for my 24mm RF on one bike. Whatever i get next will likely be 30mm spindle if i can still find em.
Yeah I have atlas and always loved em for a good abuse crank. I have a new set of sixc and a new set of dh x01 dub and trying to decide which to slap on...both are brand new..so no abuse yet

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
what didn't you like about the ext
So, it feels pretty good now that it's v2, light compression tune, and had the bushings burnished. But something about it makes it feel pretty tough to get moving on small bump, even with running low-ish pressures. Also, it's noticeably less stiff fore/aft than the Zeb. I notice that a lot when riding fast over small chatter - can look down and see the fork flexing front/back and I think that's part of the issue with small bump. Running same trails twice at the same pace with the EXT on my Megatrail has my hands more fatigued than running them 6 times on the ebike with a Zeb. Same bars/grips/brakes/head angle/fork travel/remaining fork travel. I'm sure some of that is just that the extra sprung mass on the ebike helps the suspension work better, but I feel like some of it is that the extra stiffness means the impacts are directed into the air spring/damper. I feel like the range on the Charger 3 is a lot more usable too.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Just ordered a Cascade Components DHX2 mullet eyelet to mx my alloy Rocky Altitude. Attempt #3 at mullet bikes, probably the final one if I don't like it.
Why'd you get the eyelet rather than the Rocky shock mount kit?

Riding my Levo compared to my mullet'd Megatrail, the Levo corners way better. Feels less squared off into corners. I've had some discussions with @HAB and I think mullets need longer chainstays to offset the difference in axle height -> cornering radii of the wheels. Maybe higher BB height too. He had a similar reaction - didn't like the cornering on the new Bronson, but likes the Nomad 6. CS on the Nomad 6 is actually longer than the latest Megatower too. Altitude has pretty long CS though, so you should be ok.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
This package from Germany finally arrived. A few more bits for the new frame.

These tires are for local stuff only. We don't have much in the way of sharp blunt rocks. :busted:

Just need to cross my fingers and keep my eye out for some double down versions, as blowing $400 on two sets of tires is not ideal.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Also, it's noticeably less stiff fore/aft than the Zeb.
makes sense given 36 vs 38mm stanchions.

also, how low of pressures are you running on the ext? it has more or less the same dual air spring as the manitou IRT, and i remember having to dick around with that a while to get it where i wanted it.

have you tried swapping forks between the bikes just to test/compare?

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
makes sense given 36 vs 38mm stanchions.

also, how low of pressures are you running on the ext? it has more or less the same dual air spring as the manitou IRT, and i remember having to dick around with that a while to get it where i wanted it.

have you tried swapping forks between the bikes just to test/compare?
Running the EXT at 56/84 psi for 18% sag. I've fucked around with the dual chamber ratios and find it feels best when running it around their suggested 150% ratio, and dropping the + chamber if I'm not using enough travel. However, if you go by their chart, I'm running + 15 psi lower than what it says for my riding weight. The rebound is a little funky too. LSR feels kinda slow but HSR feels crazy fast. If I bounce on the fork in the driveway, I can get it to use all but like 1" of travel and the shaft speed is pretty quick, but it doesn't feel like that on the trail. The +/++ chamber interaction is pretty weird. The ++ kind of comes into play at around 35% travel, so if you run higher + and lower ++, it feels like shit on small bump because the + governs the first 1/3 of travel. Running higher pressures in general with damping wide open wasn't my thing, the whole system seems to rely on the damper to feel good, but even with the light tune it's got a fair amount of damping and not a huge range, so you've got to really nail the air pressures. It's not a bad fork by any means, I think it just needs to be ridden very aggressively on rockier terrain by probably a heavier rider. I get along well with their shocks though.

I haven't tried just A/B swapping the forks, but for the Zeb, the suggested pressure in the Trailhead app gave me exactly 20% sag, rebound felt good, I opened the HSC 1 click from the middle, and haven't felt inclined to change it beyond that. FWIW, Trailhead tells me to drop pressure 10 psi for same travel/weight if I'm not running it on an ebike.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Running the EXT at 56/84 psi for 18% sag. I've fucked around with the dual chamber ratios and find it feels best when running it around their suggested 150% ratio, and dropping the + chamber if I'm not using enough travel. However, if you go by their chart, I'm running + 15 psi lower than what it says for my riding weight. The rebound is a little funky too. LSR feels kinda slow but HSR feels crazy fast. If I bounce on the fork in the driveway, I can get it to use all but like 1" of travel and the shaft speed is pretty quick, but it doesn't feel like that on the trail. The +/++ chamber interaction is pretty weird. The ++ kind of comes into play at around 35% travel, so if you run higher + and lower ++, it feels like shit on small bump because the + governs the first 1/3 of travel. Running higher pressures in general with damping wide open wasn't my thing, the whole system seems to rely on the damper to feel good, but even with the light tune it's got a fair amount of damping and not a huge range, so you've got to really nail the air pressures. It's not a bad fork by any means, I think it just needs to be ridden very aggressively on rockier terrain by probably a heavier rider. I get along well with their shocks though.

I haven't tried just A/B swapping the forks, but for the Zeb, the suggested pressure in the Trailhead app gave me exactly 20% sag, rebound felt good, I opened the HSC 1 click from the middle, and haven't felt inclined to change it beyond that. FWIW, Trailhead tells me to drop pressure 10 psi for same travel/weight if I'm not running it on an ebike.
yea, i found with my IRT i'm lower than the recommended pressures, but i'm still at about the same pressure differential between the two chambers. i wanna say its about 40psi across the board regardless of rider weight or travel setting.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Why'd you get the eyelet rather than the Rocky shock mount kit?

Riding my Levo compared to my mullet'd Megatrail, the Levo corners way better. Feels less squared off into corners. I've had some discussions with @HAB and I think mullets need longer chainstays to offset the difference in axle height -> cornering radii of the wheels. Maybe higher BB height too. He had a similar reaction - didn't like the cornering on the new Bronson, but likes the Nomad 6. CS on the Nomad 6 is actually longer than the latest Megatower too. Altitude has pretty long CS though, so you should be ok.
Yeah, longer chainstays to offset the difference in axle heights was my hypothesis after my GG and Bronson mullet experiences as well. I'm going with the eyelet because my Altitude is the alloy version, the Rocky mullet kit only works on the carbon version (carbon version uses a bolt-on shock mount vs welded-on for the alloy version).

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
i think that's enough for today, time to grab a beer.

also we have almost identical placemats.
There's a certain level of effort involved in threading a 2.5-2.6mm wide bladed Ti spoke through a 2.35mm hole in the hub, trying to prevent the inevitable galvanic corrosion at the same time.