Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
I ordered this while waiting on my warranty from Chainreaction. Still waiting actually. Swapping over most everything from my Vitus minus the headset and BB. I have a Marzocchi CR coil on the way for it as well. I’m dreading the internal routing for the brake, but we have a bunch of snow on the ground now, so I’ll have time to be patient with it.
E10ADE84-7895-4AD7-9250-F333DB5594E0.jpeg

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Hunh, I have never seen set screws in that location,
You are screwed.
They’re actually kinda clever. They’re to help adjust alignment. Shove the calliper inboard, tighten set screw until you have no drag, cinch down mounting bolts.

I’m likely screwed some other way regardless.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
They’re actually kinda clever. They’re to help adjust alignment. Shove the calliper inboard, tighten set screw until you have no drag, cinch down mounting bolts.

I’m likely screwed some other way regardless.
Sorry, no fascinating puns. I think those adjustments screws are in large part the magic of the A4s. They have very high leverage ratios that make them 'powerful'. To get away with that and not have a shit ton of lever movement a brake must be very well aligned to accept less free motion and be stiff. The adjustment grubs cover half of that, and are rather handy.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Sorry, no fascinating puns. I think those adjustments screws are in large part the magic of the A4s. They have very high leverage ratios that make them 'powerful'. To get away with that and not have a shit ton of lever movement a brake must be very well aligned to accept less free motion and be stiff. The adjustment grubs cover half of that, and are rather handy.
That's part of TS's secret sauce you are so disrespectfully disclosing here. Ze Shermans will not be pleased.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
The Crosshair screws are such a pleasure to use. I hate having pad rub, and it's so nice to be able to perfectly align the caliper in about 30 sec.

It also helps that I switched to HS2 rotors from Magura HC Storm, and the HS2s seem to do a much better job resisting warping. Like most rotors they're not perfectly straight from the factory, but a few passes with the truing tool and they seem to stay straight after that. Even the 220 on the front of my ebike is holding true.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
So, it feels pretty good now that it's v2, light compression tune, and had the bushings burnished. But something about it makes it feel pretty tough to get moving on small bump, even with running low-ish pressures. Also, it's noticeably less stiff fore/aft than the Zeb. I notice that a lot when riding fast over small chatter - can look down and see the fork flexing front/back and I think that's part of the issue with small bump. Running same trails twice at the same pace with the EXT on my Megatrail has my hands more fatigued than running them 6 times on the ebike with a Zeb. Same bars/grips/brakes/head angle/fork travel/remaining fork travel. I'm sure some of that is just that the extra sprung mass on the ebike helps the suspension work better, but I feel like some of it is that the extra stiffness means the impacts are directed into the air spring/damper. I feel like the range on the Charger 3 is a lot more usable too.
Regarding the Era, there's some surprisingly good info on it over on MTBR recently from Dougal posting dyno plots of it. Air spring curve is nicely linearly progressive (with the expected ramp up at the end). But the rebound and compression adjustment range is very narrow compared to a Charger 2.1, and apparently the compression has a very progressive stack. He said the amount of damping it does on high speed events is higher than anything he's seen in MTB. That would explain a lot of my experiences with it: no point in fucking with air chamber ratios much to change ramp up feel because the damper is going to govern.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
But youll be fine on 60 foot road gaps, well except for the single crown bit.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Regarding the Era, there's some surprisingly good info on it over on MTBR recently from Dougal posting dyno plots of it. Air spring curve is nicely linearly progressive (with the expected ramp up at the end). But the rebound and compression adjustment range is very narrow compared to a Charger 2.1, and apparently the compression has a very progressive stack. He said the amount of damping it does on high speed events is higher than anything he's seen in MTB. That would explain a lot of my experiences with it: no point in fucking with air chamber ratios much to change ramp up feel because the damper is going to govern.
The same Dougal who says open up all HSC and crank in LSC. Pretty sure he loves Grip2 VVC as well. Nothing to add.

The fork has its flaws, damping isn't one of it.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
The same Dougal who says open up all HSC and crank in LSC. Pretty sure he loves Grip2 VVC as well. Nothing to add.

The fork has its flaws, damping isn't one of it.
While I have had my own strong feelings about some of his posts in the past, the dyno plots for compression explain a lot of what I've felt with mine. Usable range means different things to different people. Like GRIP2 VVC HSC has a narrow range on the too light side and the Era apparently has a narrow range on the too firm side. Having 80 clicks of adjustment is worthless if they don't cover the spectrum of what most riders are going to want (expert aggressive huckers wanting very firm, weekend flow trail riders wanting very soft).

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
While I have had my own strong feelings about some of his posts in the past, the dyno plots for compression explain a lot of what I've felt with mine. Usable range means different things to different people. Like GRIP2 VVC HSC has a narrow range on the too light side and the Era apparently has a narrow range on the too firm side. Having 80 clicks of adjustment is worthless if they don't cover the spectrum of what most riders are going to want (expert aggressive huckers wanting very firm, weekend flow trail riders wanting very soft).
"Very Soft" It's called plush dammit!

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
That honking pad retention bolt must help stiffness too.

not a brake for weight weenies.