Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I was mainly after the Avy damper, got tired of the GRIP2. The hybrid coil option was just too tempting not to try, plus my air spring weith secus developer an air leak somewhere lately. The Avy coil weights ~150g, btw.
Yeah, I've run into that air leak issue as well...suddenly completely rigid fork is...sub-optimal to say the least.
Which Grip 2 - pre or post VVC compression?

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
although introducing a problem of being in between spring rates as the % difference between springs is ~equivalent to 50lb rear spring increments).
Let's say one weighs 175 lbs and has a f/r distribution of 40/60 . A 45 lbs/in spring would result in a sag of 1.55555 in whereas a 50 would net in at 1.4 in or 39.5 compared to 35.5 mm. A whopping 4 mm difference! Holy moly, I definitely would be able to feel that...

... not!

Like Steve said, cut those stupid little rings on your stanchions and live happily ever after.

Last edited:

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
especially if you play around with more refined calculators like this one, there’s a big range in the recommendation based on your preferences

Dougal and his calculations is a bit... "special". I think he prefers to ride either super slow or super IMBA. Both are not to my liking

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
for me it was easy, i just got the extra firm formula spring recommended for 95kg+, there are not that many to choose from so lucky me (i weigh around that)
didn‘t bother to check sag yet. rides sweet with the golden cts, also got the blue, red and orange one to play around with in the coming weeks. setup was way easier for me than with the grip2 36 i had before. just compression and rebound, done. not much more to fiddle with than to switch the base setups with the different cts. and all in a still quite light package around 2,3 kg. weight penalty with the ext storia increased in total by just 400g ish.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Let's say one weighs 175 lbs and has a f/r distribution of 40/60 . A 45 lbs/in spring would result in a sag of 1.55555 in whereas a 50 would net in at 1.4 in or 39.5 compared to 35.5 mm. A whopping 4 mm difference! Holy moly, I definitely would be able to feel that...

... not!

Like Steve said, cut those stupid little rings on your stanchions and live happily ever after.
I've owned a Smashpot with multiple springs. I could definitely feel I wanted to be in-between spring rates. Put another way, the difference between a 450 and 475 rear spring is ~5.5%, while 450 to 500 is ~11%. Most riders would notice that difference and find 25lb increments to be a net benefit. The difference between a 50 and 55lb spring in your fork is 10%.

For me this isn’t about sag affected geo, it’s about how much spring force I want.

Last edited:

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
That link is to Jono Church not Dougal???
Jono is Suspension Lab in Rotorua
Dougal is Shockcraft in Alexandra (near Wanaka)
Oh, my fault, mixed them up. Johnny seemed a bit more sound when he was arguing with Dougal on emptybeer.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I've owned a Smashpot with multiple springs. I could definitely feel I wanted to be in-between spring rates. Put another way, the difference between a 450 and 475 rear spring is ~5.5%, while 450 to 500 is ~11%. Most riders would notice that difference and find 25lb increments to be a net benefit. The difference between a 50 and 55lb spring in your fork is 10%.

For me this isn’t about sag affected geo, it’s about how much spring force I want.
Agreed. But what are you going to loose if you take the firmer spring at the end? Couple of mm max travel? The overall suppleness and stability of a coil is far more an improvement than using all the travels, imho

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Agreed. But what are you going to loose if you take the firmer spring at the end? Couple of mm max travel? The overall suppleness and stability of a coil is far more an improvement than using all the travels, imho
It's not about amount of travel, it's about feedback into my hands.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I was mainly after the Avy damper, got tired of the GRIP2. The hybrid coil option was just too tempting not to try, plus my air spring with secus developed an air leak somewhere lately. The Avy coil weights ~150g, btw.
Report back on how that thing feels versus the Secus. Now that I think about it removing the risk of another seal leak with it wouldn't be a bad thing.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
New wheel bits are in, mounted the tires for the local crap and the nice Trickstuff rotors.

Called it quits on building the bike, after dropping one of the cable guide things into the frame. :twitch:

For anyone else that has done it, is there anything more fiddly and annoying than mounting the Rockshox fender on a Zeb? I've done two now and both have been a pain. Should have drilled out the holes in the fender a bit..

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
New wheel bits are in, mounted the tires for the local crap and the nice Trickstuff rotors.

Called it quits on building the bike, after dropping one of the cable guide things into the frame. :twitch:

For anyone else that has done it, is there anything more fiddly and annoying than mounting the Rockshox fender on a Zeb? I've done two now and both have been a pain. Should have drilled out the holes in the fender a bit..

What shoes?

pe6u

Chimp
Apr 19, 2013
It's not about amount of travel, it's about feedback into my hands.
I have always had that dilema. I like how the bike behaves with firm spring for my weight, but my hands hurt when I'm not in form. I know that when I train seriously and I'm fit, my hands are ok, so i keep riding with firm spring and if my hands hurt I know my fitness is in fault, not the fork - I try to ride more and train harder (win win situation).

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Into the Titan? Guess how I know...
I'd recommend to install some foam hose over the shifting, seat stay and brake lines. Makes a whole lot a rattling difference.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
if my hands hurt I know my fitness is in fault, not the fork - I try to ride more and train harder (win win situation).
Took me a long time to realise that I need to leave my suspension settings alone when it feels like they're wrong and ask myself if I'm tired or unfit or just riding bad that day.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
What shoes?
Assegai and DHR2, exo casing.

Will be using double down casing for everywhere but Ontario.

Into the Titan? Guess how I know...
I'd recommend to install some foam hose over the shifting, seat stay and brake lines. Makes a whole lot a rattling difference.
That's the one thing I haven't found yet. The rattling in my Spitfire was loud.

Oh yeah and a fender for the back.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I haven't been tracking what German shops a shipping to you but Bike24 has some:

Capgo

The Banshee template works pretty well for me.
Something like that stuff would be perfect, but yeah shipping for that will probably cost triple what it's worth.

What did you make your fender out of? I've been thinking one of those flimsy cutting boards would probably do well and not be too hard to cut.

I'm hoping to find something at a local hardware store - haven't really looked much yet, but have you ever seen anything similar @mykel ?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Took me a long time to realise that I need to leave my suspension settings alone when it feels like they're wrong and ask myself if I'm tired or unfit or just riding bad that day.
I wheelie, if I fall left or right I know my hips or back are out a bit...stretch and have a few things I do ahead of time...if I don't my jumping is off, my lines are not clean and I get beat up more than normal...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Same...and more often than not its my tire pressure that is either too low or high, throwing things off.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Fitting the one to my SID was fine, but I think I read something that some of the Zeb ones were slightly out of spec for the holes on the lowers making them a PITA.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Something like that stuff would be perfect, but yeah shipping for that will probably cost triple what it's worth.

What did you make your fender out of? I've been thinking one of those flimsy cutting boards would probably do well and not be too hard to cut.

I'm hoping to find something at a local hardware store - haven't really looked much yet, but have you ever seen anything similar @mykel ?

I think you pretty much nailed it. We have a set of flexible cutting mats used for camping / backyards etc. They would be what I would use for a rear fender. Have not seen anything in the locals, but then again have not been looking. Here is pretty much what we have, but in an updated bike friendly colour palette. Unfortunately they are on offer by that snake oil company fronted by bald-douche-boi.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria

Thought so regarding shipping costs. Maybe you can find something similar over at yours.
I used something like a portfolio folder made of plastic, put some stickers on it and ran it through my wife's paper laminater with a relative tough 125 micron pouch.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
If you leave the fender someplace nice and warm before installation it seems easier to wrangle it into place. Its quite stiff otherwise. I got some slightly longer screws for mine as well. The supplied ones didn't go very far into the magnesium lowers and felt like they were going to strip easily.