Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Ready for shreddies, whenever winter ends.
Just need to do a bolt check, center the bars and mess with lever position. Still waiting for the springs to arrive, for the Bomber CR shock.

Oh and genius me cut the front brake hose way too long, so I need to redo all of that (pending delivery of the compression fitting). But as annoying as that is, it's way better than cutting it too short.

Can't wait to try these brakes out.

Also need to lower the travel on the seatpost. Man fingers crossed that I didn't mess up the measurement on that. I triple checked....

Oh and need to make a fender for the back triangle. I should make a list of things to do.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Just need to do a bolt check, center the bars and mess with lever position. Still waiting for the springs to arrive, for the Bomber CR shock.

Oh and genius me cut the front brake hose way too long, so I need to redo all of that (pending delivery of the compression fitting). But as annoying as that is, it's way better than cutting it too short.

Also need to lower the travel on the seatpost. Man fingers crossed that I didn't mess up the measurement on that. I triple checked....

Oh and need to make a fender for the back triangle. I should make a list of things to do.
I recently got a set of A4s. They feel incredibly powerful in the parking lot to the point I was actually concerned about riding with them. Not too long into a ride they felt perfectly comfortable. They didn't get less powerful I just got used to them and they worked just fine. Next ride I was on my other bike and in the parking lot the brakes felt like shit and I was concerned about riding with them. Quickly got used to them and they worked just fine. The A4s are engineering marvels but on the trail just didn't make that much of a difference for me, I don't think I am nearly as sensitive as far as brake power is concerned as a lot of people.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria

Nice one :wub:

Loking forward to hear your thoughts on it. I instantly fell in love with mine for the turn stability and front tire grip that thing offers in steep terrain. I'm running the 462 mm chainstay dropouts though and a Works Comp -1° head set.

For the brake line barb/olive thingy use this as suggested by Udi here . I ran them with flawless results in different Formula and Shimano brakes.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Nice one :wub:

Loking forward to hear your thoughts on it. I instantly fell in love with mine for the turn stability and front tire grip that thing offers in steep terrain. I'm running the 462 mm chainstay dropouts though and a Works Comp -1° head set.

For the brake line barb/olive thingy use this as suggested by Udi here . I ran them with flawless results in different Formula and Shimano brakes.
I got some of those barb things, so I can tidy up the front brake this weekend. :)

I guess the only downside with it being one piece, is that you really have to make sure the hose is seated all the way inside of it.

For any north american people, if you need but can't find one of these fittings, S4 Suspension has some. They mailed some out for $5 next day shipping - I just had to message them through the site and call to finalize the purchase.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I kinda want to swap to an ohlins 38 for next year.

Do I spend the money.
I love it...I prefer more glued to the ground I can bump psi up to give a little pop and it stays active regardless...went over several ?s with Ohlins before getting the sc too...wanted to make sure it handles like the dh 38 m.1...and it does..mimicks it....blew my back out couple weeks ago as soon as it stops spasming I'm going to the jump line....I can lift still but riding is another level of (shit I got old pain lol).
Definitely smoother than fox remove the negative spacer and it soaks up small chatter, want a park jumpy set up leave it in. It does make a difference and it's SIMPLE to remove.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
i just started to discover that place. there is so much tech riding there that it will last me at least to next year to ride everything. from next month on it’s just a 2h train ride away instead of 3h now after i moved to Zurich. all those tiny villages on the left mountain in the background are connected with old hiking paths, i was on that mountain before climbing the one the photo was taken on.

B295A709-6C81-4615-A08C-11F292A3B9DA.jpeg

FD3F9D83-A95D-42DE-BDD3-2B7FB1C4139F.jpeg

A1C969BD-A547-4398-BB68-F2F6100BF960.jpeg

C071A71A-BA33-4CED-8FCF-C77B16B527C6.jpeg

993C36EA-02EB-4779-BB54-CA8FE0F42538.jpeg

CADE6AC2-8339-4A5B-BFD0-8726F3AEF3F2.jpeg

16C1C979-C11E-4D87-B058-BB28AB239BB8.jpeg

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
i just started to discover that place. there is so much tech riding there that it will last me at least to next year to ride everything. from next month on it’s just a 2h train ride away instead of 3h now after i moved to Zurich. all those tiny villages on the left mountain in the background are connected with old hiking paths, i was on that mountain before climbing the one the photo was taken on.

View attachment 190514

View attachment 190515

View attachment 190516

View attachment 190517

View attachment 190518

View attachment 190519

View attachment 190520
freakin' awesome... but shouldn't there be snow there this time of year!? did Woo steal all your snow?

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
nope, ticino usually is super dry and mostly ridable year round, at least the lower parts. i saw some snow at around 1700m+. it‘s on the south side of the alpes, so most times completely different climate than the rest of switzerland. was totally grey all day on the north side of the alpes

FD4444F9-8A08-42B7-8F8D-91FD585CAFFF.jpeg

there are lots of palm trees there and spring already happening in the lower parts

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah peeps in France on our backcountry board are saying they havent seen new snow in 2mo

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Hugene?
I really liked the look of them, but I think they couldn't take a bash which put me off.

I just built up a Tyee and it doesn’t have tabs, but it came with an adapter for the BB to run one. We’ll see how it holds up.
What he said. It's indexed so as to not rotate. Durability is an unknown, but at least it mounts to alloy hardpoints and is replaceable.

A non-issue for me, as I've not used a bash on a trail bike in a few years now though, since moving to using steel rings.

Connect and bleed a new rear brake line, set up the shifting and dropper cables tomorrow, then it'll be good to go! Then the fit and shock tweaking will begin!

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
What he said. It's indexed so as to not rotate. Durability is an unknown, but at least it mounts to alloy hardpoints and is replaceable.

A non-issue for me, as I've not used a bash on a trail bike in a few years now though, since moving to using steel rings.

Connect and bleed a new rear brake line, set up the shifting and dropper cables tomorrow, then it'll be good to go! Then the fit and shock tweaking will begin!
I have bent steel rings in the days before bash guards.
Now I run an ISCG taco and an E-type upper guide on the trailbike (Mozart) and an ISCG bash with upper and lower guide on the DH bike. (MRP) I do like a plastic bashes ability to glide over stuff without getting hung up. Chain rings are really bad at that.

How do you find it without? No bent rings, tweaked teeth or stiff/kinked chainlinks or nasty hangups I assume?

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
I have bent steel rings in the days before bash guards.
Now I run an ISCG taco and an E-type upper guide on the trailbike (Mozart) and an ISCG bash with upper and lower guide on the DH bike. (MRP) I do like a plastic bashes ability to glide over stuff without getting hung up. Chain rings are really bad at that.

How do you find it without? No bent rings, tweaked teeth or stiff/kinked chainlinks or nasty hangups I assume?
No trouble so far. one stainless Wolftooth ring, and two SRAM steel rings in use at the moment. The WT ring is a couple years old and has taken quite a beating with seemingly no ill effects. 30t rings on all the bikes.

Now that I've just jinxed it though...

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
I wonder if they added the ability in a newer version.

the lower two tabs aren't any thicker where the join the ring, but they are thicker at the threaded bit (5mm vs. 4.8mm) for bash attachment.
not sure how much abuse it could take before folding, but doesn't seem to fragile. backside is splined a bit - no worries about it rotating.

IMG_0040.JPG

IMG_0041.JPG

wonder if they make the versions for their bigger bikes any burlier?

anyway, i'd not let it dissuade you from buying one.

Nice! I'll be interested to hear what you think after a proper ride or three.
I as well! Off a few days, but the forecast is also crap for much of that time. Should be able to at least get out enough to fine tune the fit and shock a bit.