Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i'm always wanting to find the perfect ratio of longer reach/lower standover/more travel...newer bikes have been making me happy...even on my do it all nomad v4 i keep the seat scooted all the way back and run a 50mm rather than 40mm stem...stupid long torso.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
i'm always wanting to find the perfect ratio of longer reach/lower standover/more travel...newer bikes have been making me happy...even on my do it all nomad v4 i keep the seat scooted all the way back and run a 50mm rather than 40mm stem...stupid long torso.
I am only 5'11" and have found that I am perfectly comfortable with a 490 reach + 50mm stem, although that may be on the long end of the sweet spot.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Plans for it:
Stock rear shock is 84x44 = 120mm travel
So I'll go 190x50 shock or 7.5x2 (50.8) = 139mm travel
slightly face the iscg tab
Run mullet
Leave in high position
I have a angleset in it now

Fork will be fox 36 150mm

Figure I might as well play with it a bit and see...make it more enduroish.

Already checked throw and it will handle it, chip can run low or high with 27.5 rear without tire rub.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Observations on shakedown ride with WAY too many new parts:
Helm: no complaints, setup was almost perfect just guessing at air pressure and rebound. Impressed. Stiffer than a pike, for sure.
Kitsuma: Very similar impressions, ran everything basically in the middle of all four adjustments. Possibly could have used 5 psi more, but I was on a brisk ride with new friends, so I didn't fuck with it. The 'lockout/compression' lever seems to be an infinite needle/aperture, so I was able to 'fine tune' compression in-between lever positions.
I found the cable tension on the One Up V2 to be super duper finicky, had a little trouble dialing it in quickly on the trail after the cable stretched a bit.
Sweet Wings came loose at the very end of the ride, I'm not a fan of the 16mm Allen bolt. (Who happens to have one of those on the trail, lol) Made due with a few different Allen's, but not ideal. I thought I torqued the crap out of it at home. It's not a friction interface, so once it came loose, it was loose.
Galfer 220x2.3 was titties once it had broken in.
XTR pedals we're perfect out of the gates.
Couldn't really get any impressions of the One Up bar as the ride was short, I usually only start noticing bar stiffness when I'm really fatigued. But it seemed excellent, I guess.
Awesome shakedown ride on rocks and rocks.

Last edited:

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I've never had the 16mm bolt on eeWings come loose, but I slather that sucker with Ti prep. The preload ring is a lot more finicky though. It seems really easy to go from too little to too much preload, and the gold threaded part is supposed to be super glued to the spindle. Which isn't a very strong connection if you end up putting on too much preload.

Also CC's ti chainring bolts are utter shit. They made the head so short that the machining for the T25 is longer than the head of bolt by like 1mm, creating a paper-thin wall at the very end of the shaft. I've snapped the heads off 2 of them, and my buddy who has a pair has also. Just use steel SRAM bolts.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
The real question here is how many 'murikan flags can you stamp on it?
How many you want!!
Cause I'm patriotic lol doesn't mean I need American beer, american undies and an endless love to say "hold my beer, watch this!"..

Ok well I'm keeping my "hold my beer, watch this"...probably an unamerican beer your holding for me...chances are most of the stuff in ambulance are not American as well.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
How many you want!!
Cause I'm patriotic lol doesn't mean I need American beer, american undies and an endless love to say "hold my beer, watch this!"..

Ok well I'm keeping my "hold my beer, watch this"...probably an unamerican beer your holding for me...chances are most of the stuff in ambulance are not American as well.
I'll be holding my beer for your ride impressions! I have to admit Evils intrigue me a lot, there aren't many of those down here, and the reviews I've found online fall between pure advertorials and "gawd this feels cramped".

I have a lot of prejudice against single pivots... maybe my DW fanboyism is what draws my attention towards these bikes?

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I have a lot of prejudice against single pivots... maybe my DW fanboyism is what draws my attention towards those bikes?
I'm the opposite, I like single pivots and think DW is the Apple of mountain bikes.
I'm old, fat and slow, 10% better suspension ain't gonna do shit for me, falling rate single pivot is fine.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I just ride a lot of different stuff to get a feel and there are strengths and weaknesses with the different designs.. .I like DW's stuff as well as the rest of the guys out there...his to me has had a good pedalling platform and mid section...this one I just need to fun ride and JIB.
If I don't like it no biggie I'll sell it and come up on the deal...if it works great it'll be a cheap play bike to take out on vacations and pedal with wife...

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I worked on a friend's Evil once. I wasn't too impressed by the poor fit of the bearings: I could remove the main bearing on the drive side with my bare hands. Then the bolts on the delta link sheared...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I worked on a friend's Evil once. I wasn't too impressed by the poor fit of the bearings: I could remove the main bearing on the drive side with my bare hands. Then the bolts on the delta link sheared...
Did notice the bolts use soft metal had to drill and smack a next size up torx into lower shock bolt to get a bite...but I've had to do that before on other stuff...

I do know the original stuff was plauged with issues, alot...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I had the pleasure of disassembling a buddies Evil Revolt with a hammer.

The Undead frame he got was great though, sad he didn't use it more than twice.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sweet Wings came loose at the very end of the ride, I'm not a fan of the 16mm Allen bolt. (Who happens to have one of those on the trail, lol) Made due with a few different Allen's, but not ideal. I thought I torqued the crap out of it at home. It's not a friction interface, so once it came loose, it was loose.
mine have never come loose either. agreed with andeh, apply ti prep liberally. slather it if you will.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
For the record, the Evil I mentioned above was not the latest. It was a Following and I know that there has been a new version of it since. It was probably a first gen, then?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
2015 2016 had issues 2017 apparently corrected it and then v2 came out 2018

Grabbed a 2023 fox 36 for it, working on getting a shock called ohlins and have a plan...
Russians dont take a dump without a plan son.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I was going to comment on how in the hell is your GX derailleur still functioning and not flopping around like a soccer player, with all that damage....but then I noticed the 11 speed text.
I've got a 11sp X1 that's been to hell and back, three sets of pulleys (on this last one I've switched to aluminum) and it still doesn't have any noticeable play. I've concocted a homemade Hall Lock about two years ago, maybe that has contributed to the RD's longevity...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I've got a 11sp X1 that's been to hell and back, three sets of pulleys (on this last one I've switched to aluminum) and it still doesn't have any noticeable play. I've concocted a homemade Hall Lock about two years ago, maybe that has contributed to the RD's longevity...
They were or are some good stuff.

Meanwhile, I have 3 GX eagle (sea gull?) derailleurs sitting here on my shelf that don't look half as bad as @scrublover 's there.

The first one, went out on its 2nd or 3rd ride. Stick in the chain, but I stopped immediately. Stick didn't actually reach the derailleur. The thing looks straight, but it's bent somewhere. New derailleur fixed it up.

Repeat, rinse etc

Now I have a cheap Deore derailleur on the bike. Seems just as stout, but for much less cost.

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Meanwhile, I have 3 GX eagle (sea gull?) derailleurs sitting here on my shelf that don't look half as bad as @scrublover 's there.
I remember when I showed the (then) new GX Eagle ASX to my friend, the one who has the bike shop. His first words were "if they made this the same way they did with the cable actuated GX, pivot play will make shifting impossible in the short term" :rofl: .

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
They were or are some good stuff.

The first one, went out on its 2nd or 3rd ride. Stick in the chain, but I stopped immediately. Stick didn't actually reach the derailleur. The thing looks straight, but it's bent somewhere. New derailleur fixed it up.

Repeat, rinse etc

Now I have a cheap Deore derailleur on the bike. Seems just as stout, but for much less cost.
it's taken some pretty decent knocks. still works quite well. I've no need to swap to 12 speed yet, so the same 11 speed stuff is on all my bikes. makes it easy to buy/keep spares about. the sun-race 11-46 cassette with a 30t ring is a good combo for me/where i ride.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Put a 170mm air shaft in the eeb's fork, mostly to bring the BB and bars up some. (Chonky bike rides lower than numbers on paper say.) 10/10, would bang again.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Yes sir, this is my take on a wreckoning turned dh bike, picked up my fox 40 over the weekend. Can't wait to get the paint done so I can start hanging all my stuff on it. Going to be mostly ZEE stuff w/ some i9's etc.