Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
I just dent the stanchion near top and it gives me bottom out resistance . Takes 10 seconds and tool is a rock...
You laugh eh! But I went to this guy's place called Sickline Suspension and the dude litterally did that to my stanchions when I told him I wanted more bottom-out resistance!!! What a fucking freak!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Dual dent special was by far the best deal man
Lmao I actually had a guy come in with a bottom out issue and a bind like feeling...he creased the whole back side of a stanchion...nice and clean no raw metal just distortion....man the crap i see these surrons doing to forks and shocks external and internal is nasty....did a shock for Josh hill and his rear was DESTROYED internally..had another guy broken lowers, bend CSU etc..m

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Those things go fast, get banged up, are relatively heavy and powerful for their size, so it is a bit pushing mtb suspension chassis I guess!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Those things go fast, get banged up, are relatively heavy and powerful for their size, so it is a bit pushing mtb suspension chassis I guess!
Yeah in a huge way got buddies gapping 50 foot and running them more like MX ..Had 1 guy bring me 4 dorados all screwed up..stanchions were bent in middle over 1/4 ...had to clamp on vice and hammer ends out with a shaft in foot nut...heated off all the parts I could strip and trashed whole exterior..

Drew and Eli have these 15k motors and allblah blah stuff (don't know what it all is) but the bikes rip extended swing arms and running around $14k+ builds...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Slapped galfer 203mm 2mm rotors and green pads on the evil...

I LOVE THIS BIKE!!!! Man this thing is fun to rip on it hammers corners and whip it around...hard to believe it's 120mm rear (modding that to 139).

Hit some ruts and rocks on it today and just aimed at all the shit in the way, bump jumped stuff up and over landing in more rocks...

What a KICKASS bike ..

There, had to vent that..

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I got an inverted coil fork with open bath cartridge from a former obscure french company: a Fore from CR conception.
View attachment 193254
It sits on my trail bike.
And I got it before push revealed its own. I am not trying to be trendy in other words :brows:

It was a bit of a gamble to buy a fork from a former company knowing that I could not get any spare parts and now, after the first ride, I have to face that the spring rate is too soft :panic: :bonk: the rest of the fork feels good so far and I would like to find a stiffer spring for it even if it means cutting a spring from another brand.

Have you seen info about dimensions of coil springs for forks somewhere? I am mostly interested in the outer diameter. My google-fu didn't work today...
My fork has a coil with 25mm outer diameter which is probably on the small side compare to available coils for single crown forks like öhlins, formula, cane creek, etc...
I looked that company up a year or so back to see if they were still around, and the German mob that did stupid light forks, both gone. Loads of people seem to want something weird these days even if it doesn't work well, wonder what happened?

I have done a couple of chopped springs, I heated the spring with a MAPP gas torch then used Vise grips to flatten the winding and ground it flat.

Worked fine in my Vengeance and Totem.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I looked that company up a year or so back to see if they were still around, and the German mob that did stupid light forks, both gone. Loads of people seem to want something weird these days even if it doesn't work well, wonder what happened?

I have done a couple of chopped springs, I heated the spring with a MAPP gas torch then used Vise grips to flatten the winding and ground it flat.

Worked fine in my Vengeance and Totem.
Yes, I wonder too what happened to CRconception. The company disappeared, Facebook page was erased and the same for their YouTube...

Thanks for the advice about using a gas torch to flatten the windings!

I had som fun in my shed this weekend modifying a Boxxer u-turn coil. Definitely better support than with the previous coil.
I used some modified plastic part to give support to the non-flat end of the coil. Sorry no pictures...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
New fork lowered to 100mm, boost kit fitted and then all installed on the front of old faithful. Ready for an upcoming trip.
20230508_174948.jpg

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
New fork lowered to 100mm, boost kit fitted and then all installed on the front of old faithful. Ready for an upcoming trip.
View attachment 193571
That's cool, got a buddy who's doing camping on his now...might build one to go camping and disappear once in a while...wife and I geared up and we're training for a portion of PCT in NW...Did all sorts of training, loved it...might pitch her on this...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
That's cool, got a buddy who's doing camping on his now...might build one to go camping and disappear once in a while...wife and I geared up and we're training for a portion of PCT in NW...Did all sorts of training, loved it...might pitch her on this...
I bought the frame for racing the Tour Divide in 2011. The only parts left from the original bike build are the frame, seatpost and stem. It's normally running rigid and gets taken on plenty of singletrack like that. But I swap to a squish fork when I know the upcoming terrain on a trip needs it. Just sold the original Hope Pro 2 on Arch wheelset earlier this year when I picked up a new set of DT Swiss 240 wheels stupid cheap. I sold the 2009 Reba XX at the same time as it didn't have space for a 2.35" tyre and front mudguard, picked up the SID as a new take off, I have the same fork on my XC race bike.

I wonder how many other people are running a 135 QR dropout bike with 135x10mm thru bolt axle out back and a boost front fork up front? :D

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Fork is finally back together and on the bike.
New bushings installed and sized/burnished by S4.
Smashpot travel change to 160mm
Torque caps on the front hub.
Smashpot takes 110ml and the Avalanche cartridge takes about 290ml of fluid.
Fork clocks in at 6.0lbs / 2.72kg
Bike with the new Exo+ MG Assegai and MT Dissector - ready to ride is 36.41lb

2023 Rebuild w new bushings and seals.jpg

20230510_143629.jpg

Rebuild 2023.jpg

20230510_143126.jpg

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
For this season's cockpit puzzling, I ordered some Renthal Fatbar Lites and a fresh set of ODI Elite Pros. I know I like the ODIs, but was trying out Ergon GE1 Slims the last several months. I've found my hands slipping too much lately, so want to go back to the ODI's half waffle underside. I've never run Renthals, but want to try them for the 7* backsweep. I went with the Lite because they come in 760, my preferred width. I would think that their bars designed for 760 width are more compliant than their 800 bars cut down to 760, but that might be giving the lizards too much credit.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Some new 1x11 Chicken™ for the new xc ride. Cranks, shifter, brakes and wheels will be reused.
IMG_3497.jpeg