Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Hey that's pretty sweet though.

When we looked at the house I was all pumped on this weird little garage it had w/ a bunch of junk piled in it.

The day I started work:

i'm definitely not complaining. although my shop is still very obviously an unfinished basement. and very messy, as it doubles as storage and a wood working shop.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
i'm definitely not complaining. although my shop is still very obviously an unfinished basement. and very messy, as it doubles as storage and a wood working shop.
I somehow ended up with a Maremma Shepard cross that loves hanging in the garage/workshop. I'll take your mess over having to clean dog hair off every bike part that I drop. Next dog is gonna be short haired for sure.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I somehow ended up with a Maremma Shepard cross that loves hanging in the garage/workshop. I'll take your mess over having to clean dog hair off every bike part that I drop. Next dog is gonna be short haired for sure.
Our DSO is shorthaired.

Everything I possess has short white hairs stuck to it.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Here is the final version of my Banshee Titan with mullet wheels. Now on full Shimano drivetrain, rear fender finally made and mounted and no longer fiddling with anything.

Loving the bike so far. Stem could maybe be a touch longer - not because the frame isn't long enough, but for some less twitch on specific g-out things.

I weighed it this morning and as she sits, with the Dakine tool wrap and spare tube mounted (pretty much how it is in the pic below, minus water bottle), it is a stout 38.5 pounds. And that's with EXO casing tires. :rofl:

Its heavy, but so am I. It feels so good once its pointed down a hill. I haven't compared frame geometry, but this bike feels much longer and more stable than the Banshee Spitfire I had last year.

I guess I could save a little weight by switching to a lighter spring, or I could just save that $150...

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I went down a little rabbit hole on grips lately. I noticed that the grips that I had been running for ~6 months or so (Ergon GE1 Slim), while comfortable, were resulting in my hands slowly sliding inboard and rotating under by the ends of long days of vertical. I've also had that issue with OneUps, and attribute it to a tapered profile. Then I injured my hand (sprained thumb and middle finger), so I figured it was time to sort out my perfect grip once and for all. I knew from prior experiences that grips >30mm cause me to get arm pump from over gripping. So I picked up a pair of ODI Elite Pros (have gotten along pretty well with them before), Elite Flows (never tried, similar to Pros but with offset thickness instead of thicker palm), and AG2s (never tried). I installed the AG2s, and put the Pros & Flows in my pack, and headed out for a shootout, running back to back laps, with different grips each one.
The winner (for me): AG2
I just wish they weren't 2-toned, and didn't have the ridiculous AMURICA eagle on them.

70666512488__1EAAB67F-59F5-45E4-83AC-051BD36F6F98.JPG

70666532075__B6AA67D5-A7EF-46F1-9BAD-6D55686CB08D.JPG

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Grips are something I've wondered about as well.

Girlfriend got me a pair of those same Ergon slims, which I have yet to try.

When I was grabbing stuff for this new frame, I got the Diety Knuckledusters as they are much thicker (32mm) than majority of the previous grips I've tried out. So far so good.

Will need to swap to the Ergon's and give them a try.

Wasn't a fan of the OneUps, as they didn't seem to last long at all. Same with Chromag Squarewave grips - they felt okay, but for how much they cost wore out too quick for my liking.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Here is the final version of my Banshee Titan with mullet wheels. Now on full Shimano drivetrain, rear fender finally made and mounted and no longer fiddling with anything.

Loving the bike so far. Stem could maybe be a touch longer - not because the frame isn't long enough, but for some less twitch on specific g-out things.

I weighed it this morning and as she sits, with the Dakine tool wrap and spare tube mounted (pretty much how it is in the pic below, minus water bottle), it is a stout 38.5 pounds. And that's with EXO casing tires. :rofl:

Its heavy, but so am I. It feels so good once its pointed down a hill. I haven't compared frame geometry, but this bike feels much longer and more stable than the Banshee Spitfire I had last year.

I guess I could save a little weight by switching to a lighter spring, or I could just save that $150...
Jaysus. My steel FS bike is several pounds lighter. Similar build, but with a lighter lyrik, however the 240mm dropper post should make up more than that difference.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Jaysus. My steel FS bike is several pounds lighter. Similar build, but with a lighter lyrik, however the 240mm dropper post should make up more than that difference.
Just looked it up, 8.7 pounds for this anodized frame with a Fox X2 air shock. The coil shock with the cheap heavy Fox spring isn't helping.

Not sure how much that tool pouch weights, but I guess not much in the grand scheme of things - it has a full crankbrothers lead weight tool, co2 cartridge and tool, plug kit....other bits.

Maybe the mile of foam tubing in the downtube has absorbed all sorts of gunk? :busted:

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Re : grips.

Deity Knuckledusters were my favorite grips before I installed Ergon GE1 slims too. (Same version as Andeh's) The jury is still out to see if I prefer them, but after one ride, I have nothing special to report so it's a good sign.
Deity Supracush were too big for my hands, and SQ Lab 711 Tech&Trail (small) did not fit at all. I have tried them several times on different bikes and were always weird. Actually if someone wants to try the SQ Lab, I have two pairs (one new and one like new) that I'd give away if you pay shipping.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021

My '20 Meta AM weights the same (38,6lbs) with 1250g tires but without any accessories. I like my 28t chainring for long fire road climbs. :dirol:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
My '20 Meta AM weights the same (38,6lbs) with 1250g tires but without any accessories. I like my 28t chainring for long fire road climbs. :dirol:
Climbing is fun with a heavy bike... :rofl: I have a 30t ring, but we don't have the same kind of climbing that yall have over there.

But it feels like the weight is a good thing once it gets rolling. This bike seems to have much less tendency to be kicked offline, even when doing something dumb like straight lining it through a trail embedded with baby head rocks. I can just point and go.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Yeah I always value reliability and durability over light weight when choosing parts (like my Deore all-steel cassette on both bikes, on steel freehub bodies, heavy tires with rear insert, coil shock, etc.). My just-built NS hardtail has the coil Helm and weights like 36 pounds, I just can't escape it.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
I got one of Neko’s bikes here to try out this weekend.

View attachment 194308
Holy,I guess it is just an everyday thing? Here we have Nekos Bike for a few weeks. Yeah,like that happens everyday. Fuckin buckoW,you are a Kewl Cat,no doubt about that!

What the riders on Vital wanna know: Is that rear Tire on the Market yet? The People have been waiting,and waiting for it to come to Market? Eheheh.

Avy

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
converted the boy's bike to tubeless today. found a pre-WT 2.5 DHF EXO to match nicely with the i25 rim. installed a Rimpact in the rear too. by far the easiest tubeless setup I've ever done. I was surprised when I was done that everything was holding air properly... Hopefully I can get out for a ride with him this week.

edited to add: the shop did the tape job on the rims (WTB i25s of some sort). They put stans tape right over the spoke guard strip in the drop channel. I had to clean up the edge of the tape at the valve hole, and at first I was cursing them caus' it seemed thick and messy, and I was worried it wouldn't hold air. But I had some e-Thirteen valves for the front wheel, and the valves that came with the Rimpacts for the rear, and it seems to be holding air fine. I wonder if that's a purposeful strategy, and if there's value to that system. Hmmmm

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Blingy Freedom Coast levers for closer reach on the TRP Evos and my dedication to Sparkle Motion. Also swapped out the 500 lb spring for a 450, rear suspension feels amazing now.

PXL_20230529_002409351~2.jpg

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Blingy Freedom Coast levers for closer reach on the TRP Evos and my dedication to Sparkle Motion. Also swapped out the 500 lb spring for a 450, rear suspension feels amazing now.

View attachment 194403
Lulz...your stem face plate is upside down. Do you even parking lot bro?

But for serious - love your new trail chariot. Am also vaguely lever curious now. Was the swap pretty easy?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Lulz...your stem face plate is upside down. Do you even parking lot bro?

But for serious - love your new trail chariot. Am also vaguely lever curious now. Was the swap pretty easy?
Swap was pretty simple, only challenge is small parts that enter a parallel universe if/when dropped.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Holy,I guess it is just an everyday thing? Here we have Nekos Bike for a few weeks. Yeah,like that happens everyday. Fuckin buckoW,you are a Kewl Cat,no doubt about that!

What the riders on Vital wanna know: Is that rear Tire on the Market yet? The People have been waiting,and waiting for it to come to Market? Eheheh.

Avy
Well, not everyday…. Thanks Avy!

What tire?

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Well, not everyday…. Thanks Avy!

What tire?
The rear Schwable. I was reading on Vital that Danny’s Tire is not on the Market. The Pro’s have been on it a few years from what they say,but not for the Public. It was all shiny and right in my face n the picture,it brought that to mind.

You are Welcome Brother.

Avy

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
The rear Schwable. I was reading on Vital that Danny’s Tire is not on the Market. The Pro’s have been on it a few years from what they say,but not for the Public. It was all shiny and right in my face n the picture,it brought that to mind.

You are Welcome Brother.

Avy
I’m pretty sure that is just a 27.5 Magic Mary in Super Soft. Those are my buddy’s parts on the frame.