Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Park bike? Or you're just undecided whether you should go single speed or not?

Anyhow, I am curious about what cassette you use

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah. Uplift DH bike. To replace both my vintage 26" DH bikes
That pic's from last week set up with custom 6spd 12- 18t cassette (10spd spacing). But it turns out a zee mech on a UDH leaves the top pulley wheel too far away from the sprockets to shift as crisply as I'd like.
So last night I fitted an 11-36 10spd cassette and a long enough seatpost to raise it if desired. (as *not really* seen in the night time pic above)
Couldn't be fucked fitting a dropper. But I might when I swap to the Large.

Frame's an XL but I should hopefully be swapping the front end over to an L in the coming weeks. XL Goes like fuck in a straight line but is a bit of a chore to pop and turn or hang off the back for me at 5'11"

Last edited:

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Sweet!
I put a Zee derailleur on my son's park bike and I found it to be quite the ticket for bike park: it's small, doesn't hang too low, has a switchable clutch and costs a fraction of any 11 or 12 speed derailleur.

Try to find a dropper with external routing for your rig. That's what I have for my park bike for when I want to climb with DH tires. It has only been on the bike at the beginning when I went to the local wood to dial in suspensions...

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Sweet!
I put a Zee derailleur on my son's park bike and I found it to be quite the ticket for bike park: it's small, doesn't hang too low, has a switchable clutch and costs a fraction of any 11 or 12 speed derailleur.
Yeah. I run Zee mechs on a few bikes.
Stock up if you can find any. Shimano quietly stopped producing them a few years back
The issue only arises when you try to run such a tight cassette spaced inwards on the freehub body as I was attempting to. No modern mtb mech allows you to run the B-tension close enough to work well shifting the 13, 14, 15, 16, 18 where you'd normally have a minimum of 15, 17, 19, 21, 24 on mtb cassettes. I run an 11-25 10spd cassette with a zee mech on my Ebike no issues but basically only an old skool SS road mech would work well with this custom 6spd set up
Try to find a dropper with external routing for your rig. That's what I have for my park bike for when I want to climb with DH tires. It has only been on the bike at the beginning when I went to the local wood to dial in suspensions...
It's a Nukeproof Giga. not a DH frame. So it already has internal dropper routing. I have a spare 170mm Reverb. Might fit. might not. Needs serviced first anyway.

Last edited:

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
It's a Nukeproof Giga. not a DH frame. So it already has internal dropper routing.
My point was that an external dropper is easy to remove for lift days.
The local bikepark here has anchor-like lift which might damage the dropper if you don't drop it all the way.

My bikepark bike also has internal routing for a dropper. I run a Ransom with a Boxxer.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
My bikepark bike also has internal routing for a dropper. I run a Ransom with a Boxxer
TBF it'd probably be just as much hassle running an external cable neatly than just doing it internally as the routing on the Giga is a piece of piss to thread cables/hoses through.
Our local uplifts are mini bus n trailer. Lifts at AFAIK only FtWilliam/Glencoe use saddle mounts in the UK

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have a bike that I switch to external or internal as the PNW post fails and I use my backup. I just leave the internal cable housing in there. Easy enough.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Drunken Rhino's?
You are the second person to mention that and I had no idea what that was at first. Naw, 27.5x95 Xiphias. Over the years I've learned my lesson about dragging gigantic tires. More float than those skinny 3.8 and 4.0s is good, but lugging around a J5, 2XL or Bud/Lou is a real drag after a while and even for expedition stuff, it's just too much drag IMO. The 95mm with 27.5 cakeeater 4.5s should be massive, those are currently the biggest 27.5.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Just got a Norco Optic C 2023 frameset. I also ordered a Cascade link to go with it.

I already have most of the components to build it. For next season, I will use the fork and wheelset from my Honzo ESD. Eventually, I'll get another fork and a wheelset to have the two bikes fully built...but I thought it was preferable to spread the expenses over a year or so.

The build will consist of a 2022 Lyrik Ultimate 150mm, Flow MK4 on RF Vault hubs, XO1 Eagle shifter-derailleur-cassette, XT crankset, Code RSC, OneUp handlebar, Renthal stem, OneUp dropper, Trailmaster LTD seat, DMR Vault pedals.

Should be a lot of fun! :)

20230912_Optic.jpg

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Just got a Norco Optic C 2023 frameset. I also ordered a Cascade link to go with it.

I already have most of the components to build it. For next season, I will use the fork and wheelset from my Honzo ESD. Eventually, I'll get another fork and a wheelset to have the two bikes fully built...but I thought it was preferable to spread the expenses over a year or so.

The build will consist of a 2022 Lyrik Ultimate 150mm, Flow MK4 on RF Vault hubs, XO1 Eagle shifter-derailleur-cassette, XT crankset, Code RSC, OneUp handlebar, Renthal stem, OneUp dropper, Trailmaster LTD seat, DMR Vault pedals.

View attachment 200513
Sweet couleur!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

View attachment 200513
Berry nice.

How much was that?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Radicalized AF! Especially like the updated top tube sticker - hope its not actually creaking tho.

Also hope your cranks aren't flexy pedal sticks...oh wait, nevermind, they're proper cranks.
Rather embarrassingly the creak turned out to be down to me in haste forgetting to tighten the crank pinch bolts. was built in a rush as I only had an hour and a half before having to leave to collect my kid. The sticker was to remind me to sort it out the next day.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
@FlipSide That thing looks like a lot of fun!

@Gary She must be stable compared to your other steeds! I’ve been enjoying the long bikes lately but still ride short ones too. Manuals took a sec to figure out but they are easier for me on these 464mm CS than I ever could have imagined.

Got some new Kryptotal tires and a sweet new shock. Also sized my fork bushings. She’s feeling so smooth now. Nobody around and the tracks to ourselves is also sweet!

IMG_2837.jpeg

IMG_2834.jpeg

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
@Gary She must be stable compared to your other steeds! I’ve been enjoying the long bikes lately but still ride short ones too. Manuals took a sec to figure out but they are easier for me on these 464mm CS than I ever could have imagined.
Yeah. got mannies and wheelies dialed on it the other day. a lot of that looking under the bar thing you mentioned a while back. Feels good. and made me smile a lot. It's mega stable at speed. so much so that swapping back to one of my other bikes afterwards felt pretty unstable at first. Haven't had time to take it out anywhere steep or twisty yet. Could be interesting I reckon 8-)

RE: chainstay length. I've been telling folk for years short chainstays don't make manuals easier. infact quite the opposite. They just make getting the front end up to balance point easier. But from then on a shorter stay is way more twitchy and needs far more input. Especially for an old stuck in his ways guy like me who still can't control them with rear brake drag.
The only bikes I truely struggle to manual are bikes with super long reach/front centre (Especially if it's a heavy AF modern pig of an Emtb)

That DH bike looks so good!

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Yeah. got mannies and wheelies dialed on it the other day. a lot of that looking under the bar thing you mentioned a while back. Feels good. and made me smile a lot. It's mega stable at speed. so much so that swapping back to one of my other bikes afterwards felt pretty unstable at first. Haven't had time to take it out anywhere steep or twisty yet. Could be interesting I reckon 8-)

RE: chainstay length. I've been telling folk for years short chainstays don't make manuals easier. infact quite the opposite. They just make getting the front end up to balance point easier. But from then on a shorter stay is way more twitchy and needs far more input. Especially for an old stuck in his ways guy like me who still can't control them with rear brake drag.
The only bikes I truely struggle to manual are bikes with super long reach/front centre (Especially if it's a heavy AF modern pig of an Emtb)

That DH bike looks so good!
Nice one! Ha, I had the same feelings the other day riding a shorter one that I thought would be my main DH bike this year. Turns out I like the stability the older I get and the the faster everyone else goes! This one has a steeper HA, longer reach and CS than anything I’ve ridden before.

Yeah, I remember you saying that about short CS. I agree! Cutties and schralps are easier for me below 440. I gotta really give her the beans with the long CS to break traction and square up a turn.

I recently cut off the tt and dt of one of my shorter ones. I’m thinking of welding on a new front end right in the middle geo wise. Maybe It’ll be the Goldilocks one? Doesn’t matter though. It’s a fun way to spend my time.