Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
interesting. I hadn't heard of these before.
cool concept for drive mech....
Yeah after killing my Novatec twice in a few weeks I figured redundancy might be fun to have.
The bearing location should also make it a bit less likely to flex than my Novatec.
Current Shimano hub has maybe 500km on it and I think it is near end of life, it skips a bit under power.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
What's that saying, measure twice cut once? Measure once.....you're an idiot? Well I'm an absolute fool. Girlfriend got me a bronze XX1 chain for my birthday and I decided to slap it on, while making dinner last night. Somehow, I cut it ten links too short. At least sram quick links are pretty.

Anyways. New chain and installed the oneup edc light that I got myself for Christmas. Also China carbon seat and new cassette recently.

Also finally got around to trying these shoes I got over a year ago. They are for sure a downgrade from the version I currently use. Had to adjust the cleats 3 times, retie the laces 4 times and ended up not using the top lace holes. I hate new shoes, will probably just continue to run the old pair into the ground.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
kitsuma air report, finally, for @Nick and anyone else.

3 rides in. local xc-ish trials, local "jumpline" trails, mountains gnar. overall, got it dialed mostly in. feels good. firmer platform than my previous push 11-6 coil. however felt good through rough chop. sag at 28-30%; only issue now is it chirps/bottoms out on hard/fast impacts. added hsc. will see if that helps. wish it was a touch suppler over low speed bumps. but i guess that's air cs coil, as i have lsc dialed all the way out and don't think decreasing air pressure would help overall...

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I have a kitsuma air that I haven’t totally tuned into something I love, but both my other bikes are coil, so that’s probably not fair. Probably will have to wait until August to mess with it. Oh, well. I’ll be curious what settings you settle on, and how different your SC kinematics are to the ‘21 Altitude.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Got a Marzocchi Bomber air shock for the Smuggler to replace the DPX2. First ride I was a bit concerned I'd gotten the wrong tune as it seemed over damped but I went down a volume spacer size and this arvos ride it felt a heap better. Maybe broke in a bit?

The compression dial doesn't seem to do a lot. Anyone else got one? How noticeable is the LSC adjustment?

20240624_164837.jpg

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
gap is barely visible with a black stem and black bars.

i have the 35mm length on my enduro bike, but i want something a touch longer for my new trail bike, but 50mm is too long.

and yes, i do need the low stack. it helps that i like the stem too.
Going back a bit, Spank still do some fairly low stack stems and they do a 43mm-

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
So I'm taking the ebike thing more serious
Practicing for getting an ebike back when it dies on the trail!!!
View attachment 213768
Well you don't really need 650watt. But I'll admit it is more fun. Uphill berms are now an awesome thing to rock. But if you can already pedal...then a TQ motor and 360w. And it's a bit more stealth/silent/not obvious it's an ebike. Does not sound like an r/c car. If that's a thing for you. See Trek Fuel exe. Otherwise, train on big boy! :D

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Well, I put some sweet XTR 165 cranks on wifey’s bike, with a sweet 28t chainring. She wasn’t NEARLY as excited as I was.
I mean, in any rational world, that would be grounds for a blowjob.
yeah, right.
:D

Last edited:

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Well, I put some sweet XTR 165 cranks on wifey’s bike, with a sweet 28t chainring. She wasn’t NEARLY as excited as I was.
I mean, in any rational world, that would be grounds for a blowjob.
yeah, right.
:D
Problem is wifes tend to be very unrational about the serious and important stuff like bikes, booze and boobs. :panic:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
@bullcrew and other American made gear lovers.
Does anyone know if Scott goggles are still made in the USA?

EDIT- Shot off an email and got an almost instant reply, made in Utah.
Will get some tomorrow, my last ones were great.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
@bullcrew and other American made gear lovers.
Does anyone know if Scott goggles are still made in the USA?

EDIT- Shot off an email and got an almost instant reply, made in Utah.
Will get some tomorrow, my last ones were great.
I would be extremely skeptical of this.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I would be extremely skeptical of this.
I asked why they don't advertise that they are made in the US-

'We do not advertise as such because the goggle accessories, like the cases, bags, and cloths are unfortunately not made in the U.S.

We own our goggle and lens manufacturing but we cannot officially say the whole product was made in the U.S. because of the contingencies from the accessories.'

I haven't bought any goggles for years, but the last Scotts I bought were the same price as the Oakleys before them, the Scotts were better built and were more comfortable(for me).

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Should be all I need to keep riding in my jobless time ahead.
PXL_20240701_071724480~2.jpg

Yeah I know the Jagwire brake bleeder kit is probably the same as something on Ali, but I couldn't be bothered sifting through reviews and the brake thread.
And yes I know I can use a piece of cardboard to protect my rotor.

EDIT- Yesss, the tyre plug kit fits in Saint cranks!

Last edited:

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Those jagwire kit's, I've used and abused them for years in the shop, have a set in my personal workshop at home.
But you know what.... I never really liked them other than the plethora of adapters, I really just don't, and some how I still end up getting a set. Just get a pair of the cheapie's with the red seals and a pair with the black seals, and be done with it for 70% of the brakes.
They work slightly better, no fuss and a fraction of the price.... they just don't have all the adapters for random weird arse brakes some clowns got off aliexpress.
I should probably just be taken out the back paddock and shot.