Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I almost bought a Tyee, but joined the Propain FB group first and I’ve never seen another thread with so many cracked frames and broken bolts.
A mate had a tyee and when we replaced his frame bearings. None of the bearing seats were sized or aligned well so it was still rough AF when cycled through the travel with no shock. Surprisingly it still rode well.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
A mate had a tyee and when we replaced his frame bearings. None of the bearing seats were sized or aligned well so it was still rough AF when cycled through the travel with no shock. Surprisingly it still rode well.
I have the last version in aluminum and have had really good luck with it up until recently. I’m chasing a creak coming from one of the many pivot locations. After reading this, I’m a little nervous to start pulling things apart. It is such a fun bike though.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I have the last version in aluminum and have had really good luck with it up until recently. I’m chasing a creak coming from one of the many pivot locations. After reading this, I’m a little nervous to start pulling things apart. It is such a fun bike though.
The old bearings came out no problem. The new bearings just seated super tight causing the new replacement bearings to spin tight rather than freely and if I remember correctly a few of the bearing seats weren't aligned ideally. Seen worse TBF. and from far bigger brands.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
I was looking at the current one. The broken bike pics were across the board in the FB Propain owners group.
Gotcha.

A season on my Hugene has been trouble free. Will probably do a pivot/bearing teardown and service over the winter and see what I find!

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I do like the look of the Hugene, their "Ultimate" build and price is very tempting. But my issue at the moment is I know I'd get FA trying to sell my GG.

Customer service didn't appear to be great from online reports when people had issues too.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I have a Sommet 29 CRS and love it. I'm gonna ride it till something breaks because parts will be impossible to find in the USA.
all the vitus bikes I've had have been super reliable but
if you want spare pivot hardware try looking for Ascend Components either on Facebook or ebay. Don't know the score with international shipping but Matt is a sound dude to deal with.

Aug 7, 2024
all the vitus bikes I've had have been super reliable but
if you want spare pivot hardware try looking for Ascend Components either on Facebook or ebay. Don't know the score with international shipping but Matt is a sound dude to deal with.
We currently have 3 Vitus bikes and I have been super impressed with them. They ride incredible and the build quality is great. I was so disappointed when they went under. I was really hoping some one would have acquired them and Nukeproof. I was looking forward to the VT-01 project. Seemed like a really good bike that will never come to fruition.

Thanks for the heads up on the parts. I'll have to check them out.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Damn QVIST hub fell apart internally, I walked home and overreacted when I got there.
IMG_20240907_185250.jpg

IMG_20240907_184951.jpg

IMG_20240907_185036.jpg

This bucket of shit is back together and I will see if I can fold the frame at the seat tube brace.

Tried to get a photo where all my bike build pics get taken but a bird hit me in the head on the way, so I abandoned that.
It didn't even do a war cry, just hit me.

EDIT- Seems eight months of no use has tuned my Mezzer in to a 3" travel fork, but in good news a 2yo Kryptotal rolls so much faster than a Pirelli Sorpion.

Last edited:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
PO BOX for everything!

Just picked up a Blackspire Crusher bash guard for the 5010. Hopefully I'll still be able to find those things for a few years, been running them for a long time!

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Only a parking lot test. My bigger concern is fairly dramatic reduction in travel.
My experience with two different mid-high pivot bikes is that they're good for taking the edge off of horizontal hits. So you can get away with shorter travel in rock gardens. However, they do nothing for vertical impacts, so they feel like their actual travel numbers when it comes to landing drops, over shot jumps etc.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
My experience with two different mid-high pivot bikes is that they're good for taking the edge off of horizontal hits. So you can get away with shorter travel in rock gardens. However, they do nothing for vertical impacts, so they feel like their actual travel numbers when it comes to landing drops, over shot jumps etc.
So it'll feel the same as the fork?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
How good of a deal was it
$4500. Was built up for the release event of the new high pivot Norcos. Ridden a couple of hours. The pads weren’t even bedded in!

Hopefully the Synthesis wheels are good. Carbon! Lifetime warranty etc etc…

I think I’ll find some Dominions for it, though. Think I’ll put my AXS dropper on it.