Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
I point of the ranger is that it’s what the f150 should be. A small truck that can tow a dual 3500lb axle trailer. I don’t get the raptor though.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I think the point of the Raptor is for virtue signalling that your a tough manly man or something, by overpaying for a ute that's actually a bit shit off road (and in all likely hood will just have flashy road wheels/tires on it that render it impossible to take off road) and has fuckall load capacity in it's tray.

Could be wrong though?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I think the point of the Raptor is for virtue signalling that your a tough manly man or something, by overpaying for a ute that's actually a bit shit off road (and in all likely hood will just have flashy road wheels/tires on it that render it impossible to take off road) and has fuckall load capacity in it's tray.

Could be wrong though?
The raptors are decent off road for most that zoom and balls are in wife's purse , for a stock rig they are pretty capable and do well on power...look good and can be fun on fire roads and sand dunes within reason.
Anyone who had a wild hair up their ass for flying, they require a bunch of $ thrown at em ..
Got buddies who have broke the frames and destroyed them ..we all ran off road race trucks and prerunners (real ones, not budget) and all have that same launch mentality...
We have all broke are desert trucks too, so everything breaks...

Wife wants one, I'd be inclined to let her cause she looks good driving a badass truck..and we would get rid of the Tesla ..

I think for most people who want a fun truck to go mess around with and goof off it's a decent truck...like the Corvette though there's a certain type that drive them

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I think for most people who want a fun truck to go mess around with and goof off it's a decent truck...like the Corvette though there's a certain type that drive them
Except they can't really do truck things, I mean real truck things. And how many people are actually going to offroad something that expensive. Seems like a dirtbike or Quad would be a lot more fun and orders of magnitude cheaper. Owner will undoubtedly complain about gas prices.

1727133606827.png

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Well I figured out who drives a Corvette..white middle aged, fat cheesy gold chain wearing p-diddy clientele

Hey @jonKranked don't you have Corvette posters in your workshop .hmmmm....

Lol busting your balls man
Homey I'm 40 and on vehicle #2. First was a taco second/current is a Subaru Impreza. Cars are simply utilitarian to me.

I did @jimmydean my mom's minivan at the beginning of my senior year of high school.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I will not be stopped this winter when we get our first big snow and everything is screwed for a few weeks. Thats why I got the ZR2. Locking diffs and huge clearance. This way I can put in the singletrack trails while the muni is still digging out.
IMG_5712.jpeg

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
3 of my last 7 I've had ..go anywhere and jump too..

Both tacos got around 18mpg with gearing and drive all over daily all through Idaho, Washington and Arizona...all 3 had been on 3-4k mile road trips...
Jeep was unfortunately 13-14mpg and not totally gutless, the 4:1 case and low gearing made up for it when it needed to go .all rigs locked front and rear.
Screenshot_20240923_155510_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20240923_155806_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20240923_155604_Instagram.jpg

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Damnit, I need to figure out a way to make a flat bill hat fit my head now! :sarcastic:

For me it's not that complicated - I like spirited driving on curvy back roads, and I often go dispersed camping in places that require decent-ish clearance to get to. I'm going down to one car - wife doesn't want me thrashing her new 4Runner on bike trips and we're selling our old one (which I thrashed). My main requirement was that it needed adjustable dampers to go from fun backroad driving to off-road driving; I also didn't want a full-size. I don't tow anything so I don't care about towing capacity. Also needed seats that work with my jacked up back (hate our 4Runner seats), and has decent sized rear seating.

If you have similar requirements, I recommend.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
You don't need adjustable dampers to do that, you need good dampers to do that IME. Like the “have your cake and eat it too” kind.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
You don't need adjustable dampers to do that, you need good dampers to do that IME. Like the “have your cake and eat it too” kind.
That hasn't been my experience. Stiff comp damping is jarring off road, soft comp damping leads to more body roll. Short of changing the damping characteristics that's just how it is.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
That hasn't been my experience. Stiff comp damping is jarring off road, soft comp damping leads to more body roll. Short of changing the damping characteristics that's just how it is.
Or build a shock with flutter stacks to allow slow speed bump and when you hit it backs it up or body rolls it kicks in ..it's a pretty common stack design in of road racing and crawling... Allows us to get rid of some of the chatter and negate bad body roll..can still haul @$$ and it just engages the whole stack...

I run bypass, coilovers and hydraulic bumps on all my trucks unless I leaf it then I still use a bypass and just tune it pretty open and last couple inches past tube to act as a hydraulic bottom out..

An electronic adjustable set up for sure will be easiest but I also trust that like sitting on a razor blade hoping it won't cut my ass ..I don't trust electronics on suspension, not unless you can get it serviced all the time and updates...but then why in the F do I want to deal with all that crap too...I just want to drive...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Here it is with all its new parts .

I took the nomad out and rode it down the road a little..has a radial Albert rear and super soft Mary trail star front..when you hit a crack or bump in road the front even as soft as it is makes noise and bounces a slight bit ..
The radial is DEAD silent...pathump is about all you hear ..it reminds me of a old school slow reezay...gonna be solid...

New rfx38, new wheelset, new ttx22m, new tires, new seat stay..

20240924_175728.jpg

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Here it is with all its new parts .

I took the nomad out and rode it down the road a little..has a radial Albert rear and super soft Mary trail star front..when you hit a crack or bump in road the front even as soft as it is makes noise and bounces a slight bit ..
The radial is DEAD silent...pathump is about all you hear ..it reminds me of a old school slow reezay...gonna be solid...

New rfx38, new wheelset, new ttx22m, new tires, new seat stay..

View attachment 218960
Needs more cowbell