Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Had to google it - it's the Manitou branded BikeYoke Revive, right? Best post out there, period.
There is a small caveat with the Manitou post. It does not use Bikeyoke's barrel-nut-pinch thing, instead, it's a large fixed nut that's part of the cable. So if you ever want to run another cable (inner), you need to purchase the barrel-nut-thing or somehow find a cable like the original, which would be rare. I like Bikeyoke's original way of doing it, since you could use ANY brand of lever and I watched other posts (where the shift nut is at the dropper post) cables pull out of the lever on rides before, whereas with bikeyoke's lever, you can only run bikeyoke since the shift nut sits in there. On the plus side, the Jack comes with a nice dropper lever, an absolute steal for the money, but if you need to ever replace the cable you're going to need to come-by one of those barrel things.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
There is a small caveat with the Manitou post. It does not use Bikeyoke's barrel-nut-pinch thing, instead, it's a large fixed nut that's part of the cable. So if you ever want to run another cable (inner), you need to purchase the barrel-nut-thing or somehow find a cable like the original, which would be rare. I like Bikeyoke's original way of doing it, since you could use ANY brand of lever and I watched other posts (where the shift nut is at the dropper post) cables pull out of the lever on rides before, whereas with bikeyoke's lever, you can only run bikeyoke since the shift nut sits in there. On the plus side, the Jack comes with a nice dropper lever, an absolute steal for the money, but if you need to ever replace the cable you're going to need to come-by one of those barrel things.
What barrel thing?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
whereas with bikeyoke's lever, you can only run bikeyoke since the shift nut sits in there
Slightly confused by your statement, wife and I have slightly different BY levers on our GG's, despite buying them both at the same time in 2021 and you can either let the barrel tension itself in the lever - so you have to get it perfect at the dropper end , or there's a grub screw to pinch a cable tight.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Slightly confused by your statement, wife and I have slightly different BY levers on our GG's, despite buying them both at the same time in 2021 and you can either let the barrel tension itself in the lever - so you have to get it perfect at the dropper end , or there's a grub screw to pinch a cable tight.
Yeah, the Jack is neither.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
To clarify, the POST is exactly a Bikeyoke post, no mechanical difference. The Lever looks to be a good lever that could be used with any post. It's the cable that is wacky (and missing the grub screw part).

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I never really understood having to get it "perfect", since there was a barrel adjuster on the lever. Close, but erring on the side of too big and I never had an issue with that system. I only measured it out the first time I did it and just estimated after with nary an issue.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

So basically a cable knarp?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So basically a cable knarp?
It's just bizarre that the manitou cable works with none of these and is this odd proprietary thing. It doesn't hurt much...but it means you need either of the two I posted eventually. But again, for the cost of this thing, coming WITH a lever, that's an absolute win still.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Bikeyoke changed theirs hey - it used to be a tiny thing with a grub screw that pinched the cable (cable end at the lever) but they went with the option of a barrel that you slide the cable through now and tension and clamp the cable at the lever end instead.

old
1729477888506.png

New
1729477910968.png

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It's just bizarre that the manitou cable works with none of these and is this odd proprietary thing. It doesn't hurt much...but it means you need either of the two I posted eventually. But again, for the cost of this thing, coming WITH a lever, that's an absolute win still.
It's peculiar for sure. Then again, of all the dropper issues I've ever experienced, a failed cable isn't one of them. :knocks on wood:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I go dry, use Pedro's heavy metal tire levers (look like spoons)..have no issues. Used a clamp to keep tire from unseating with a insert and used levers to force it...no nicks ..however I have had a tire so tight it pulled tape back...

Soapy water on edges works brilliant or pour stans around the bead and rim to glue it..

Hope any or some of this helps...

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I don't need hookers and blow to feel regret and poorness, I have dumb bike related purchases to do it for me.
I'd say 1/5 British products I buy are decent, I am praying to the dark lord that this will be one of the winners.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I don't need hookers and blow to feel regret and poorness, I have dumb bike related purchases to do it for me.
I'd say 1/5 British products I buy are decent, I am praying to the dark lord that this will be one of the winners.
With a name like Infinity Drive, you know it's designed on solid physics principles.

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Got this for wifey’s birthday.
My longest standing riding buddy does development for Giant. This XS was in the U.S. for a photo shoot, (but never unboxed). It is a euro only model, so it was the actual landed Giant Global cost, which was like 65% off of retail. ( just double checked the math).
ridiculous!
IMG_2343.jpeg
IMG_2342.jpeg

to say she was stoked is quite an understatement.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My longest standing riding buddy does development for Giant. This XS was in the U.S. for a photo shoot, (but never unboxed). It is a euro only model, so it was the actual landed Giant Global cost, which was like 65% off of retail.
ridiculous!
View attachment 220515View attachment 220516

i bet that paint looks awesome in daylight.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Are you actually buying it?

Man you really have a knack for nutting yourself. :rofl:

That hub was promoted somewhere else a while back and I theory sounds great. Especially for flexy +190mm long fatbike hubs.

But the rotor situation....... :panic:

And the name... :twitch:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Not sure, but that was a bit of pita to sort out. You can actually adjust steer tube angle, reach, height, and roll (tied into reach, basically). Thanks, MTG! It comes with a bunch of angled chips/steer tube spacers, etc.
But yeah, I’m not really a fan. Stupid light, though.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Bikeyoke changed theirs hey - it used to be a tiny thing with a grub screw that pinched the cable (cable end at the lever) but they went with the option of a barrel that you slide the cable through now and tension and clamp the cable at the lever end instead.

old
View attachment 220365

New
View attachment 220366
fox also makes that cable nut. I was able to fabricate one out of a cable end as a temporary fix, and it worked so well I never replaced it.

My bontrager post works fine with a regular shifter, but I guess I should be surprised that the industry found a way to make something more complicated.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not sure, but that was a bit of pita to sort out. You can actually adjust steer tube angle, reach, height, and roll (tied into reach, basically). Thanks, MTG! It comes with a bunch of angled chips/steer tube spacers, etc.
But yeah, I’m not really a fan. Stupid light, though.
interesting that it has some basic adjustability built in. is it OEM only? many years ago i did a parking lot test of a trail bike that had the (IIRC recently launched) scott / syncros integrated bar. i didn't immediately hate it.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Are you actually buying it?

Man you really have a knack for nutting yourself. :rofl:

That hub was promoted somewhere else a while back and I theory sounds great. Especially for flexy +190mm long fatbike hubs.

But the rotor situation....... :panic:

And the name... :twitch:
Yeah it's ordered.
Hadleys went up $100 since I got my last, our dollar is in the toilet and my current Hadley needs a full rebuild after maybe 1000 miles.
Time to try something different again, hahaha!

The lack of Ti freehub is pretty annoying, especially for the price.

I'm fine with the different rotor, at the moment my rotors last probably 20X longer than my rear hubs.

The name, it sounds like a AliExpress copy.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
My longest standing riding buddy does development for Giant. This XS was in the U.S. for a photo shoot, (but never unboxed). It is a euro only model, so it was the actual landed Giant Global cost, which was like 65% off of retail. ( just double checked the math).
ridiculous!
View attachment 220515View attachment 220516

those xs are amazing for short legged people, one of the lowest stand over height in the market

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Yup. However, what we found was that to make it a mullet, the front of the top tube is sky high, as the angle is more severe. From mid-way and back it’s lower, but that’s 1/2 way inaccessible due to the saddle. She’s under 5’, so this was a major consideration.
That said, it’s got basically every single thing on my wish list for her. So far the only things I’m replacing is the seatpost, as the stocker is still too tall.
Also gonna try and find a 160mm crank solution for the Transmission. (Drop stop B chainring)