Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Warning: garvel bike content.
Spending more time on this to let my thumb heal up means this bike is getting more love. Bits to make it more comfortable. Blurring the lines between this bike and my hardtail. No suspension, skinnier tires, geometry like my first mtb from 1990.

20241024_162555.jpg

Moved the Schwalbe ( with a Vittoria Air Liner) to the back for the skinny Ground Control up front. Gel pads under the bar tape. Dropper post.

20241024_162533.jpg

Aside: for a 27.2mm dropper, One Up v3 is
far superior to the others I've had a chance to try. The WolfTooth dropper remote is excellent.

20241024_162515.jpg

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I too am riding mostly paved roads/paths right now while recovering. But I'm riding my fat bike with studded tires. Because I like the sound they make.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Wait, what are we talking about here, again?
Gravel riding on gravel, or light duty xc on trails?
Its all just so confusing.
Yes.

Riding this forces me to take things easier. Less lkely to take the stupid options. As well, it puts my hand/thumb in a spot where there is no pain, and I can actually shift/brake easily. Was going to put a Grip shifter on the hardtail, but decided this is the better option for the circumstances.

If forced, I'd give up suspension before disc brakes, dropper posts and better/fatter/tubeless tires.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Warning: garvel bike content.
Spending more time on this to let my thumb heal up means this bike is getting more love. Bits to make it more comfortable. Blurring the lines between this bike and my hardtail. No suspension, skinnier tires, geometry like my first mtb from 1990.

View attachment 220628

Moved the Schwalbe ( with a Vittoria Air Liner) to the back for the skinny Ground Control up front. Gel pads under the bar tape. Dropper post.

View attachment 220629

Aside: for a 27.2mm dropper, One Up v3 is
far superior to the others I've had a chance to try. The WolfTooth dropper remote is excellent.

View attachment 220630
Companies still use a section of tube as a rail clamp?
I'm too fat for that, I need a clamp like this-
1729858608007.png

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Companies still use a section of tube as a rail clamp?
I'm too fat for that, I need a clamp like this-
View attachment 220635
I think some light weight options do, yeah. This is off an ooooooooold post though. Still solid. I'm only about 70kg, so can get away with some more minimal options - particularly on a bike like this. The One Up posts on my hartail and trail bike have the stock clamps in use.