Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Some new toys over the year.

New Formula R0R brakes.
Used X01 cassette with worn down 42t cog for 40 € - new Wolftooth 42t cog in same red as my Hope pro 4 hubs for 60 € --> win.
-1.5° Works Comp headset --> epic win. Will never look back.

My little girl was having a good time photo bombing.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
did Chris Porter fit your saddle?
I was waiting for a comment on it. Partly too lazy to fix, partly digging it. Steep climbs, definitely higher sag at the rear - I don't like too much pressure on my crown jewels.

commencaldh

Jeremy Hottinger
Apr 26, 2015
IMG_0547.JPG

I got some Hope V4s on the Tracer. Sorry for the bad picture but I was in a rush to ride...
They feel way better than the guides that I had on before.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Winter Projects...

Petty much decided to rebuild my 26" Knolly Podium this winter.

Things to change...
Avalanche internals for the 888 RC3 Evo Ti
Service the CCDB, or small possibility to maybe sell and put an Avalanche or Ava tuned shock on?
Spank Vibrocore bars with a bit or rise
New rims 27.5 / 26 - Stans Flow / Spank Race 33 or ?
(Would love a set of the Spank 350 Vibrocore, but they only give the 26 to sponsored riders, not available to us plebs.)
Asseguy / DHR2 MG3C front / back ?? compound

Things to stay - although I am open to suggestions.
SRAM 10 speed, X0/X9 drivetrail - gives me no issues and its a Sunday driver DH bike.
RF SixC cranks
KMC gold chain
Thomson seatpost
Joystick saddle
Renthal stem
MRP Bash / chain
Hope Tech3 V4 brakes 200/180
Hope hubs
888 RC3 Evo Ti fork with custom shimstack - Keep chassis but change out to Avalanche damper
Serviced CCDB
Ergon GE1 Factory grips
Custom top cap w/ Ti bolt.

Thoughts?

commencaldh

Jeremy Hottinger
Apr 26, 2015
Winter Projects...

Petty much decided to rebuild my 26" Knolly Podium this winter.

Things to change...
Avalanche internals for the 888 RC3 Evo Ti
Service the CCDB, or small possibility to maybe sell and put an Avalanche or Ava tuned shock on?
Spank Vibrocore bars with a bit or rise
New rims 27.5 / 26 - Stans Flow / Spank Race 33 or ?
(Would love a set of the Spank 350 Vibrocore, but they only give the 26 to sponsored riders, not available to us plebs.)
Asseguy / DHR2 MG3C front / back ?? compound

Things to stay - although I am open to suggestions.
SRAM 10 speed, X0/X9 drivetrail - gives me no issues and its a Sunday driver DH bike.
RF SixC cranks
KMC gold chain
Thomson seatpost
Joystick saddle
Renthal stem
MRP Bash / chain
Hope Tech3 V4 brakes 200/180
Hope hubs
888 RC3 Evo Ti fork with custom shimstack - Keep chassis but change out to Avalanche damper
Serviced CCDB
Ergon GE1 Factory grips
Custom top cap w/ Ti bolt.

Thoughts?
as you seem to like unique parts and builds, I would recommend this shock
https://www.ndtuned.com/amortecedor-dh2xrc3.php
seems like a cool thing and no one has them so...

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
My BTR started in withsome surface rust in places where my (apparently toxic) sweat falls. Solution:

0F9184CD-653D-4512-9560-F0D978E636BE.jpeg

Always wanted a dark green metallic bike. Can’t wait to get it back together. Gonna be a fun slop slayer....

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Fox40 up front. Clearly went full enduro.
The bike is pretty capable with 170mm of travel and my single crown forks were taking a beating so I tried the 40 for fun one day and didn't want to take it off. No more creaky crowns and it's got a 190mm travel airspring to get the bars low enough.
:stupid: @buckoW esp. about that Öhlins shock.
I just got it recently so I haven't ridden that much. It felt really good in AZ rocks. Supple but still supportive. I found settings I like very quickly and haven't touched it since.

Fuck mate. No TwinLok? Do you even enduro? ;)
It's a S hame I can't run the lever to the Ohlins shock. Imagine how steep my seat angle would be with my shock locked out!

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
It's a S hame I can't run the lever to the Ohlins shock. Imagine how steep my seat angle would be with my shock locked out!
I figured you took the pic with the front wheel lower than the rear to make it harder for me to bitch about the seat angle :P

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Fatbike/hardtail now One-Up post and Wolftooth ReMote equipped. View attachment 131651
I'm looking at this combo as well.

What are your initial thoughts?
just ordered a wolftooth lever last night to replace the oneup one my shin snapped off when i wrecked the other day. hopefully it’ll be a little more burly than the oneup lever (although i guess i’m glad the lever broke and not my shin) :D

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE

I have been using the oneup dropper for 4 months now. I use the remote from the Bontrager drop line which is cheaper and less bling than the wolftooth. No real complain with the dropper so far, it just need to be regreased regularly in order to avoid unnecessary high level of stiction, the upper seal seems to be quite tight on mine. The process is easy: unscrew the collar, compress the post slightly and release it so that the white bushing goes up, apply grease and put everything back together. It takes no more than a minute

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
just ordered a wolftooth lever last night to replace the oneup one my shin snapped off when i wrecked the other day. hopefully it’ll be a little more burly than the oneup lever (although i guess i’m glad the lever broke and not my shin) :D

On the post and lever, after a couple months on my trail bike:

Post I shimmed down to 140mm (fit issue on my frme) and greased the hell out of it right out of the box. I've not noticed and increased stiction, likely due to that initial service. No lateral/fore-aft/vertical slop that I really notice.
Would love if they could figure out getting to the air valve without seat removal. Not a fan of the clunky rail clamps, but at least its solid and durable. Easy to fix/replace if you hamfist any of the bits. Oh yeah: the shimming it down bit is fast and easy.

First ride didn't even check psi and return speed was just fine, no annoying taint smacking or clunking. Checked it later and it was ~190. Upped to their suggested 250 and all is good. Have had it in temps as low as 22F so far and didn't notice it slowing up. Not sure how cold it can get before you'd notice slowing.

The only little downside: when you actuate the lever, it moves the housing at the bottom of the post to get things going. Just have to account for that. Have had my housing pull too tightly from bar movement/suspension cycling/will of the gods and actuate the post several times. Is an easy fix, but irksome. Have since re-routed things so it shouldn't be an issue. YMMV depending on frame it's in.

Both posts unshimmed in 31.6mm frames, slid right in, clamped easily.

Remotes.
Replaced the stock One-Up unit very quickly. Theirs works fine, but I just couldn't get on with it position-wise. If it's out of the way of convenient! knee! smacking! action! then it's in a crappy spot to use. Gave it to a buddy to replace his crappy el cheapo dropper remote, and he loves it.

Wolftooth ReMote: Excellent feel and ergognarmics! I don't find the textured bit too much. Have been putting grip tape on my brake/shift/dropper bits for years here in the sweaty/slimy/humid northeast anyhow. Am using the SRAM Matchmaker version. Mounted up just fine. Only little niggle: stop with the little M3 bolts and give us a larger M4. Yeah, you guys designed it so it'd round/strip before the bolt hole threads, but the thing is made of cheese. Stripped the head with little torque just with initial install and tensioning. Replaced with a stouter bolt.