Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
finally got around to installing my rear MT5 this weekend (after having the front on for a few weeks). Also installed sintered pads both front and rear. Holy jeez what a difference in braking power. They come on a bit less powerful than XTs (M785) they replaced, but god damn, do they ever have a lot of power further down the stroke. So much so that I think I will have to re-learn how to brake as they just skidded over the rough stuff when pointed downhill. No more panic braking, and I'll have to choose my braking points better. Also lay off the brakes in corners.

I did, however run into shifter-placement problems. I can't find a good spot for my XTR shifter. If I run it in-board of the brake (stem-side), it's about 1cm too far from my thumbs. If I run it between the lever and grip, I can't rotate it to the correct position. I see two possible solutions: shorter brake levers that would allow me to run the lever/clamp closer to the grip, or a new mount/bracket for the shifter. I would imagine that second option would be cheaper, but I don't know if they exist... any suggestions?

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
finally got around to installing my rear MT5 this weekend (after having the front on for a few weeks). Also installed sintered pads both front and rear. Holy jeez what a difference in braking power. They come on a bit less powerful than XTs (M785) they replaced, but god damn, do they ever have a lot of power further down the stroke. So much so that I think I will have to re-learn how to brake as they just skidded over the rough stuff when pointed downhill. No more panic braking, and I'll have to choose my braking points better. Also lay off the brakes in corners.

I did, however run into shifter-placement problems. I can't find a good spot for my XTR shifter. If I run it in-board of the brake (stem-side), it's about 1cm too far from my thumbs. If I run it between the lever and grip, I can't rotate it to the correct position. I see two possible solutions: shorter brake levers that would allow me to run the lever/clamp closer to the grip, or a new mount/bracket for the shifter. I would imagine that second option would be cheaper, but I don't know if they exist... any suggestions?
I used this to get my shimano shifter where I wanted it with my MT5s: http://www.magurausa-shop.com/product.htm?pid=237759&cat=11915

But I already had a I-Spec Shimano Shifter. I think it's easier to convert an XTR shifter, but I don't recall and dunno which XTR shifter you have. But yeah it's expensive for a relatively small piece.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I used this to get my shimano shifter where I wanted it with my MT5s: http://www.magurausa-shop.com/product.htm?pid=237759&cat=11915

But I already had a I-Spec Shimano Shifter. I think it's easier to convert an XTR shifter, but I don't recall and dunno which XTR shifter you have. But yeah it's expensive for a relatively small piece.
SL M-9000-r. Non-I-spec version. thanks for the link, I'll have a closer look. It almost seems like the SRAM version might work. Would be nice to see one in a shop...

Do you 1 finger brake or 2? I found that running my shifter outboard of the brake gave me tons of space between the two when I had the lever in the right spot so that my index finger was on the "hook".
I brake with 1 finger. but I have the 2-finger lever. this means I have to run the lever farther left (away from my hand). with the shifter on the left of the lever, it's kinda far away from my thumb.

Maybe I have really short thumbs! I have to let go of the bar and reach over to shift. Makes grabbing a couple of quick gears as you fly into a rough patch kinda hard. I can try and move the levers to the right a bit more, so I'm not resting in the hook as much, but that would feel weird. Maybe i'll just get used to it. I was just wondering if there are solutions out there. If I don't get used to it, and I don't find a simple solution, I might get the shorter levers over the winter.

Last edited:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I brake with 1 finger. but I have the 2-finger lever. this means I have to run the lever farther left (away from my hand). with the shifter on the left of the lever, it's kinda far away from my thumb.

Maybe I have really short thumbs! I have to let go of the bar and reach over to shift. Makes grabbing a couple of quick gears as you fly into a rough patch kinda hard. I can try and move the levers to the right a bit more, so I'm not resting in the hook as much, but that would feel weird. Maybe i'll just get used to it. I was just wondering if there are solutions out there. If I don't get used to it, and I don't find a simple solution, I might get the shorter levers over the winter.
I had the 2 finger levers as well, but used them with 1 finger because I never listen to Germans. I did have to rotate the brake levers "up" when running the shifter outboard of the brake in order to get them further away from the grip, it put everything in basically the same spot in relation to my index finger as my old XTR levers with the shifter inboard of the lever, if that made any sense at all. Turns out running the levers rolled a bit further up drastically reduced hand numbness too, so that was an unintended win.

Last edited:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
I actually like the the two finger lever more because it has less of a hook at the end. That hook really gets uncomfortable on longer descents imo.
My shifters (both sram) are clamped separately between the grip and the lever. With my hand always resting far outside on the grip this brings the shifter in an ideal position.
Maybe their lever clamp would be of interest for you?

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I actually like the the two finger lever more because it has less of a hook at the end. That hook really gets uncomfortable on longer descents imo.
My shifters (both sram) are clamped separately between the grip and the lever. With my hand always resting far outside on the grip this brings the shifter in an ideal position.

thanks. That lever clamp is what CaptainSpauldin linked to. I'd go for that, but my shifter is not of the direct mount variety. I think I would need to get a new cover for it, and they we're getting into pretty pricey territory. Might be cheaper to get the shorter levers.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
thanks. That lever clamp is what CaptainSpauldin linked to. I'd go for that, but my shifter is not of the direct mount variety. I think I would need to get a new cover for it, and they we're getting into pretty pricey territory. Might be cheaper to get the shorter levers.
The levers are shockingly expensive also, I had initially looked into running the 1-finger levers.. figured out it was cheaper to just do the Magura adapter, but I already had the i-spec shifter.

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
Get the shorter levers. They improve the brakes a lot. Better bite point and more ergonomic. I was very happy with my MT 7 for years until I made the change and boy was I blown away by the improvement.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Hand rehab bike in the works. Pretty much banned from trails from my ortho doc for 2-3 months minimum.

Gravel bike!

Much parts bin content and as much new stuff bought to be compatible with what I'm running on the mountain bikes. Such as the guide RSC brakes mounted to the alt bars. Same brakes I run in the other bikes.
20191004_163450.jpg
So I have a spare set now...

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Hand rehab bike in the works. Pretty much banned from trails from my ortho doc for 2-3 months minimum.

Gravel bike!

Much parts bin content and as much new stuff bought to be compatible with what I'm running on the mountain bikes. Such as the guide RSC brakes mounted to the alt bars. Same brakes I run in the other bikes. View attachment 137575So I have a spare set now...
I hope you take it off some sweet sweet jumps! :D

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are

Gravel bike!

Much parts bin content and as much new stuff bought to be compatible with what I'm running on the mountain bikes. Such as the guide RSC brakes mounted to the alt bars. Same brakes I run in the other bikes. View attachment 137575So I have a spare set now...
Those headset spacers....
:fancy:

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Those headset spacers....
:fancy:
Yes. As someone who is normally a "slam that headset" kind of guy it pains me.

Oh you meant the colors.

I've been working on stocking up the ano spares in the parts bin since the early 90's.
A 20+ year old red SRP cassette lock ring is going on here as well!

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Yes. As someone who is normally a "slam that headset" kind of guy it pains me.

Oh you meant the colors.

I've been working on stocking up the ano spares in the parts bin since the early 90's.
A 20+ year old red SRP cassette lock ring is going on here as well!
Maybe you said it elsewhere but what happened that you’re off the bike? Hope healing goes better than expected.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Maybe you said it elsewhere but what happened that you’re off the bike? Hope healing goes better than expected.
Fully torn thumb ligament, pulled off a bit of bone which all got lodged under a bit of muscle. Surgical repair done, now healing up.

I can *maybe* start easy rides in a few weeks. Right now can barely put weight on the hand/wrist just on the trainer.

Running is ok after stitches out next week.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

What front tire is that?

chris_f

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
On the list of "new toys for the dependable steed" I have to say that "a new wheel because the garbage-tier SLX-hub on the old wheel broke" is thoroughly unexciting! A new XT wheel cost the same as getting cheap components separately and having a shop build a wheel for me, but it really wasn't what I had planned on getting in the way of bike bling this month.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Yup, that is the way it goes.
One of the crew just demo'd a wheel.
Bought another as it was cheaper than rim, spokes and build.
First day out with new rim, multiple flat spots and a walk down the mountain.
(Fair play to him that he was riding at Thunder so the line was new and not known)
I just helped him install a Cushcore. Ain't that a ball ache.

I'm lucky, it has been a couple of years since I have had Flat-Irons or Taco's.

Which means I'm probably about due.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I've been avoiding this thread for the past 4-5 years because I've been living in the flat hellscape that is texas, and riding glorified gravel bikes and calling them "XC bikes" isn't really my thing. I didn't want to make myself feel bad or envious.

But I escaped, and am now living in NC, just started a new job, and got a new reign adv 29er 1 on its way that should get here hopefully by Friday, and life is real fucking good.

Although I'm not sure how I feel about joining the 29er club. Never ridden one extensively before, but if @kidwoo likes them, they can't be that bad right? Will post pics once I get it built up.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I'm sorry, truly.
Wasn't the end of the world, met some good people there, just didn't get to be a part of the mountain bike world really. Just started a new job within the industry though, and there are bikes and trails to be ridden!

Also, in the spirit of spending all of the money that there is, in addition to the advanced 1 I have on the way, we got my wife an advanced 2. This coming week should be a good one in the "new bike week" thread.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I've been avoiding this thread for the past 4-5 years because I've been living in the flat hellscape that is texas, and riding glorified gravel bikes and calling them "XC bikes" isn't really my thing. I didn't want to make myself feel bad or envious.

But I escaped, and am now living in NC, just started a new job, and got a new reign adv 29er 1 on its way that should get here hopefully by Friday, and life is real fucking good.

Although I'm not sure how I feel about joining the 29er club. Never ridden one extensively before, but if @kidwoo likes them, they can't be that bad right? Will post pics once I get it built up.
where'd you end up?

and to ammend @kidwoo's endorsement..
grandfather district
grandfather district
grandfather district

and a little bit of pisgah proper off season

hope to rode with ya sometime!

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
where'd you end up?

and to ammend @kidwoo's endorsement..
grandfather district
grandfather district
grandfather district

and a little bit of pisgah proper off season

hope to rode with ya sometime!
I'd love to! I'm still trying to get settled in the new job and area so the first few rides will probably be wherever coworkers tell me to go or take me, but any chance I get to ride within an hour of where I live and I'll be a happy camper. I'm over in scenic Columbus, because that's the happiest medium for my wife and my job. I'd definitely love to ride once I get this mountain bike thing going again, I'm pretty far into the "washed up downhiller" and I'd like to get back into riding faster than a tourist on a a cruiser speed

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Got a Boxxer to replace the RV1. Couldn't find any '19 World Cups in the US from an online shop that didn't require CA sales tax, and can't do the red on the Ultimate so I grabbed a Select and will order a charger 2.1 then add in a Push HC97. Sending the Van RC off to Avalanche as an experiment; first time I've used them. I had a fully Avalanched DHR for 6 months when my buddy broke his leg, but it wasn't tuned for me specifically and was 17 years ago.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Got a Boxxer to replace the RV1. Couldn't find any '19 World Cups in the US from an online shop that didn't require CA sales tax, and can't do the red on the Ultimate so I grabbed a Select and will order a charger 2.1 then add in a Push HC97. Sending the Van RC off to Avalanche as an experiment; first time I've used them. I had a fully Avalanched DHR for 6 months when my buddy broke his leg, but it wasn't tuned for me specifically and was 17 years ago.

Nice!
All the new boxxers are now air-sprung right?

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Yup. Until someone decides to make a coil conversion. 20mm boost as well, although that was really a non-issue.
How about this?

Plus this?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
How about this?

Plus this?

Nice, just needs a hydraulic bottom out.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
How about this?

Plus this?

I read in a german forum that they changed threads in the stanchions, so stuff is not retrofit-able. Third party dampers for example are not possible to get from an old into a new chassis.