Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
I'd see it this way:

1a) Grab old Boxxer RC or Team with coil boinger for the cheapz.
1b) Could also be a OEM Fox chassis, because the :monkey: says so.
2) Throw in aftermarket damper with MOAR SHIMZ.
3) Profit.

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Well, my wife's and my bikes arrived this week, and I managed to get out for a christening today up in Pisgah as recommended. I rode some trail called "Kitsuma" which was pretty sweet, thanks for the recommendation! There was a lot of potential to go real fuckin fast on that trail, so I did. And things were good. I really missed bikes. All and all, one of the best "first ride on a new bike" experiences I've ever had, what a time to be alive.

Oh also the bike is cool too. Apparently there were some delays in production and they ended up having to upgrade the brakes on the early batches of the reign advanced 1 from Code R's to Code RSC's in order to get them shipped on time. I had purchased some cura 4 pots preemptively because I haven't liked SRAM in the past, but upon realizing these were RSC's, and I could throw the formulas on my wife's bike and I could get rid of the shimano shit on there, I was all about them. Bike felt pretty good. Seems like all the high end mountain bikes these days do though - they all seem to pedal pretty well, grip the ground pretty well, and be pretty stable and able to take some abuse. Giant made a good one.

Also, anybody have any tips for getting rid of the super fucking gnarly loud grindy noise in the lowest gears on GX under hard pedaling? I've heard of it, but living in an area with no hills, haven't had the chance to experience it first hand. Sounded like I was tearing the derailleur and chain apart, it was pretty horrendous.

Also, holy hell the black one has a lot of flake in the paint. In cloudy light, it just looks like a gloss black or gray bike. With sunlight, it almost looks white because there is so much sparkle reflection coming off it.

Attachments

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Well, my wife's and my bikes arrived this week, and I managed to get out for a christening today up in Pisgah as recommended. I rode some trail called "Kitsuma" which was pretty sweet, thanks for the recommendation! There was a lot of potential to go real fuckin fast on that trail, so I did. And things were good. I really missed bikes. All and all, one of the best "first ride on a new bike" experiences I've ever had, what a time to be alive.

Oh also the bike is cool too. Apparently there were some delays in production and they ended up having to upgrade the brakes on the early batches of the reign advanced 1 from Code R's to Code RSC's in order to get them shipped on time. I had purchased some cura 4 pots preemptively because I haven't liked SRAM in the past, but upon realizing these were RSC's, and I could throw the formulas on my wife's bike and I could get rid of the shimano shit on there, I was all about them. Bike felt pretty good. Seems like all the high end mountain bikes these days do though - they all seem to pedal pretty well, grip the ground pretty well, and be pretty stable and able to take some abuse. Giant made a good one.

Also, anybody have any tips for getting rid of the super fucking gnarly loud grindy noise in the lowest gears on GX under hard pedaling? I've heard of it, but living in an area with no hills, haven't had the chance to experience it first hand. Sounded like I was tearing the derailleur and chain apart, it was pretty horrendous.

Also, holy hell the black one has a lot of flake in the paint. In cloudy light, it just looks like a gloss black or gray bike. With sunlight, it almost looks white because there is so much sparkle reflection coming off it.
good call for a "jumping back in" trail. kitsuma's a classsic. it was my first "mountain" trail when i moved here in 06.

...anybody have any tips for getting rid of the super fucking gnarly loud grindy noise in the lowest gears on GX under hard pedaling? I've heard of it, but living in an area with no hills, haven't had the chance to experience it first hand. Sounded like I was tearing the derailleur and chain apart, it was pretty horrendous.
I get crap like that with my E13 cassette on a SRAM X01 setup. I have pretty much decided that wide range cassettes are touchy in the largest two or three rings of the cassette. In particular, don't try to downshift three cogs in one swing.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Don't they have some sort of narrow wide going on with the largest cog on Eagle cassettes? Check your chain isn't one link out of sync. On the 11 speed we run, the only time any of it starts to grind is new chain on worn out narrow wide front cog.

Kitsuma is definitely a mach chicken kind of trail, mucho fun.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017

Eagle is very sensitive to B-screw adjustment. On my buddy's bike I velcro a stap to the rear brake to put tention on the chain and an backed turned the b screw in a bit to quiet it.

The wife and I rode Kitsuma yesterday. Fun trail.

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Haaaapy...happy birthday to me...(sung to the Cracker song)

Gonna be almost full XTR and carbon wheels

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
do you notice the increased weight? slowness?
no. i was really surprised how lightweight they are. when i received the box i honestly thought it was empty until i opened it. they are under 100g per wheel (even for the 29" version, but more for the plus size version, i think around 150g). no slowness either, at least not noticeable (in terms of rolling resistance, which is what i'm assuming you meant).

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Yeah that sounds great, how difficult did it make the mounting process? I have an ass guy/ibis carbon rim combo on my rig and it is everything I have to get those mounted without an insert. Really sucks...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah that sounds great, how difficult did it make the mounting process? I have an ass guy/ibis carbon rim combo on my rig and it is everything I have to get those mounted without an insert. Really sucks...
honestly the install process was only marginally more difficult than just mounting a tire, at least for the rim/tire pairing i have (enve m70 / michelin wild rock'r2). it was just a tiny bit tricky getting the rim bead into the center channel of the rim, had to use a little extra elbow grease. on the flipside, having the insert in the tire actually allowed me to get enough of the bead mounted into the hook area of the rim that i was able to fully seat it with just a regular floor pump. i was able to kind pull the tire against the insert to pull it out of the center channel.

again, ymmv depending on what tire/rim combo you have.

i do like their valve stems, first i've used that sealed on the rim without any manner of fuckery, and they only needed to be hand tight.

chris_f

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
Got some toys on order for the V10 which'll arrive next week. Finally got rid of the emerald, and I picked up a used Fox 40 2018 model with the Ohlins Stx 22 damper in it. Also ordered a complete set of Cura 4 that I'm really curious as to how perform. If they can't cut it on the DH bike they'll end up on the enduro bike and I'm just going to switch the maguras back on the V10. But we'll see. Pictures will follow when everything is on the bike next week!

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Vole. Y U no coil?
Because I haven't consumed vast quantities of knedlikies and maintained my girlish figure. :thumb:

So I bought a previous gen Trail Pistola which came with the aero ribbon, and I transferred the parts over to the resin model pictured above. I really have no complaints about the fork (my fave to date tbh) , although I have bumped around on @SuboptimusPrime 's converted spring loaded ribbon and it seems even moar divine. May have to make the switch when this cart needs a full service.

chris_f

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
Picture quality is trash but here it is: Cura 4, Fox 40 and a used titanium railed Ergon seat I picked up for a steal.
Saved me close a full kilo across the bike, most of it up front.

v10foxohlins.jpg

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Th
That's the real colour combo! Looks awesome. Are you all healt up again?
Thanks, I originally wanted some custom gold stickers, but then when it showed up it was obvious I needed to go full Dracula. Knee is much better, but still pretty weak, so I gotta keep hammering down HGH infused German sodas.

@Udi , the red spray paint wouldn't stick to the kevlar compound on the renthals, so it looks like I will have to step up to something that's actually rojo.