Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

chris_f

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
Ordered one of these:

Finally taking the big bike to single speed. Anyone have any experience with this one? I looked both this and the more expensive version over and couldn't justify almost twice the cost for the newer version.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Hey Ben, how much travel do you ride on the front? Looks like 170.

Reason I'm asking is that it was too much on my 160 mm Reign with -1.5° HS, front had a tendency too wash out in corners on all but the real steep shit. But maybe I'm just too weak to maintain a proper forward riding position.
That’s a 170mm air spring.
there’s so many variables that could make your front end push wide and lots of ways to fix it without lowering your fork travel.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Ordered one of these:

Finally taking the big bike to single speed. Anyone have any experience with this one? I looked both this and the more expensive version over and couldn't justify almost twice the cost for the newer version.
I have a lot of friends who ride those and i’ve met the guy who machines them. They seem to be extremely well made. His pedals look pretty good too.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
That’s a 170mm air spring.
there’s so many variables that could make your front end push wide and lots of ways to fix it without lowering your fork travel.
I took out one 10 mm spacer, rolled the bars a bit further forward. My stem is a 50 mm one already, don't want to go any longer. Next step would be a 37mm offset CSU. Any other suggestions?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Next step would be a 37mm offset CSU. Any other suggestions?
Ok, no joke but I seriously think thats a huge change to make to a bike. At the moment, I kinda lean towards recommending it myself but i feel like its an expensive shift to make if you don't like the handling variations.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Maybe try less air pressure and a token? That could make the front ride deeper in the travel without bottoming.
Vorsprung Smashpot ;-) would need a lower spring rate, but I like the one I run.
So no unicorn moon dust available? Ok, will give the 37 mm CSU a try.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Reason I'm asking is that it was too much on my 160 mm Reign with -1.5° HS, front had a tendency too wash out in corners on all but the real steep shit. But maybe I'm just too weak to maintain a proper forward riding position.
I took out one 10 mm spacer, rolled the bars a bit further forward. My stem is a 50 mm one already, don't want to go any longer. Next step would be a 37mm offset CSU. Any other suggestions?
Why the CSU?

Have you exhausted changes to bar height, ride height, tire pressures and compression and rebound settings along with riding position?

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Why the CSU?

Have you exhausted changes to bar height, ride height, tire pressures and compression and rebound settings along with riding position?
I played around with ride height and damping settings, to no success. How should tire pressure be of concern when increasing travel, ride height, wheelbase, fc length and decreasing steering angle?

Do you have the same problems keeping weight on the front tire if you remove that -1.5 headset?
Didn't try it, I really like the slack steering angle as I ride steep trails most of the time. Removing and reinstalling the headset is quite a hassle. :s

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
How should tire pressure be of concern when increasing travel, ride height, wheelbase, fc length and decreasing steering angle?
It changes contact patch along with affecting damping settings which will change traction for that end of the bike.

How about riding position? I went from a 2008 medium sized 26er frame to a 2018 large 27.5. The almost 3" wheelbase change plus significantly longer reach took me a long time to get used to. A year later and I still get lazy at times cornering and push the front end. I find I still at times ride from the back half of the bike when I need to be much more aggressively be weighing the front. When I weight the front correctly it never pushes.

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
...How should tire pressure be of concern when increasing travel, ride height, wheelbase, fc length and decreasing steering angle?
Along the line of what @Salami already stated...

-1.5-degree change in head angle kicks the front tire out. Longer the fork travel, more pronounced the effect. Assuming 545-ish mm sagged crown-to-axle height, going from 66-deg HA to 64.5-deg HA would move the front axle by about 13mm, while the center of your body mass and the rear axle location stay the same, more or less.

On paper, with some assumed numbers, this 1%-ish (relative to the WB) increase in FC would decrease the static weight on the front tire by like one pound at 200-lb rider weight. Doesn't seem significant, but OTOH, people seem to be able to feel the change in cornering balance by extending the chainstay 10mm, and you're contemplating reducing the fork offset 5~7mm (
) , so...

Wouldn't hurt to try 0.5 psi lower in the front tire while adding the equal amount in the rear tire to compensate for the slight change in weight distribution, assuming you have sufficient sidewall support up front. It's free, and easily reversible.

I ended up going the other way on head spacer. I used to have my stem slammed against the headset, trying to shift as much weight towards front as possible. After a couple of big injuries over the past 2 years, my focus started shifting from going "fast" (by has-never-been old guy standard) to just having fun. So I added a 15mm spacer to make bunnyhopping easier and to reduce my lower back pain.

Oddly, now it's actually easier to weigh the front tire. My aging back isn't particularly limber, so maybe I can bend over forward better by having the handlebar higher?

I understand you've already tried just about everything the conventional wisdom suggests. Have you tried the opposite? I wouldn't write them off until you actually try.

Attachments

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
I ended up going the other way on head spacer. I used to have my stem slammed against the headset, trying to shift as much weight towards front as possible. After a couple of big injuries over the past 2 years, my focus started shifting from going "fast" (by has-never-been old guy standard) to just having fun. So I added a 15mm spacer to make bunnyhopping easier and to reduce my lower back pain.

Oddly, now it's actually easier to weigh the front tire. My aging back isn't particularly limber, so maybe I can bend over forward better by having the handlebar higher?

I understand you've already tried just about everything the conventional wisdom suggests. Have you tried the opposite? I wouldn't write them off until you actually try.
I recently went from 20mm to 35mm rise bars and first two ride impressions are that I have more front wheel traction. My theory is it lets me put more pressure on the front tire without actually unweighting the back tire. Though it has been wet here for about two months straight so I haven't ridden in the typical very loose over hard I usually ride in.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
With my bars lower I get over the front easier, but probably too much. With the taller bars it seems I can get pressure on the bars easier without physically getting over the bars as much which seems to help weight the back tire more than I could before.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Vorsprung Smashpot ;-) would need a lower spring rate, but I like the one I run.
So no unicorn moon dust available? Ok, will give the 37 mm CSU a try.
Try increasing your spring rate or compression in the rear to load the front tire more. What tire and pressure are you running?

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Try increasing your spring rate or compression in the rear to load the front tire more. What tire and pressure are you running?
Already did this. My RC4 is at 2 clicks from closed HSC and 10-12 LSC. More and it gets harsh. I did preload the 500 lbs/in a full turn, helped a bit but not enough.
I'm running a purple Magic Mary at 20 psi. I'm weighing 64 kg.

Thanks for all trying to help.

pe6u

Chimp
Apr 19, 2013
Hey Flo, I don't know if this will help, but I can share my experience with the Reign, with the stock 160 Lyrik turning was odd, maybe because of the 46 offset. I replaced it with MRP Ribbon coil, when I tried it at 170 mm, I felt the front washing out in corners. I put -2° HS (zerostack bottom cup), and lowered the fork to 160 mm, now it feels perfect. I'm 68 kg on 425 lbs coil in EXT Storia shock, I bottom out too, but i have insert in the tyre, which helps. I'm 170cm tall on medium 2017 Reign, how tall are you and what's size is the bike?

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
And still I'm occasionally bottoming it out.
The 450 is too soft.
Air assist is set to max, chamber size smallest possible. Pressure at 150-160.
My RC4 is at 2 clicks from closed HSC and 10-12 LSC. More and it gets harsh. I did preload the 500 lbs/in a full turn, helped a bit but not enough.
All that seems to point out that you don't get enough support from the rear...
Which year model is your Reign?

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Hey Flo, I don't know if this will help, but I can share my experience with the Reign, with the stock 160 Lyrik turning was odd, maybe because of the 46 offset. I replaced it with MRP Ribbon coil, when I tried it at 170 mm, I felt the front washing out in corners. I put -2° HS (zerostack bottom cup), and lowered the fork to 160 mm, now it feels perfect. I'm 68 kg on 425 lbs coil in EXT Storia shock, I bottom out too, but i have insert in the tyre, which helps. I'm 170cm tall on medium 2017 Reign, how tall are you and what's size is the bike?
It's the '15-'17 model, same as yours. I'm also running my 36 at 160 atm with the -1.5° headset and the standard 650b CSU. It is working good as it is, but sometimes it would be nice to have a bit more travel at the front.

All that seems to point out that you don't get enough support from the rear...
Which year model is your Reign?
Yeah, could be the case. Unfortunately I don't have the original mid valve piston in the RC4 and didn't find one yet. There is a Fast Suspension piston installed. Maybe it's time to re-tune the shimstack.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Wider
It's the '15-'17 model, same as yours. I'm also running my 36 at 160 atm with the -1.5° headset and the standard 650b CSU. It is working good as it is, but sometimes it would be nice to have a bit more travel at the front.

Yeah, could be the case. Unfortunately I don't have the original mid valve piston in the RC4 and didn't find one yet. There is a Fast Suspension piston installed. Maybe it's time to re-tune the shimstack.
Could you fit wider bars? Do you get them elbows out when cornering?

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Wider

Could you fit wider bars? Do you get them elbows out when cornering?
I think I do. I'm running a 760 mm now, tried 780, felt good on berm-ish trails, but hit 3 trees on my regular technical trails, resulting in one crash. Tricky, my favourite trails are all kinda narrow. Will give it another try though.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I think I do. I'm running a 760 mm now, tried 780, felt good on berm-ish trails, but hit 3 trees on my regular technical trails, resulting in one crash. Tricky, my favourite trails are all kinda narrow. Will give it another try though.

You could always just run your fork backwards. Negative offset, moar slackerz, moar trailz and more weight on the front wheel.

Probably the next revolution in modern geometry.

pe6u

Chimp
Apr 19, 2013
Funny thing with the Ribbon is that I have more travel in 160 mm mode. I prefer it with the heavy spring, but in 170 mm the fork was too progressive for my weight and I was at least 3 cm from bottoming (and i tried...), now it makes all the travel and everything, the front is lower and supportive and I can load it with more confidence.