Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
East Texas, fuck that

Is Martha hot? Does your wife know you have a phone date with her?
East Texas as possibly included in a show about early 20th century art in the South (culturally and economically there are a lot of reasons to do so). I ain't goin' there.

Martha's hot if you're into 75 year old retired curators who look kind of like a more masculine version of Bea Arthur from the Golden Girls. She does go for hikes in the mountains every Thursday, so that's pretty cool.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
That's an absolute bargain.

All arrived in original boxes and looks genuine.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Bargain.
I thought I'd done well with $130ish for the 7 speed SRAM DH GX groupset I put on my bike this winter.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Edit 2: how long was your layover at ORD? did you find good grub?
15mins, instead of 3 hours.

Inbound flight got in 15 mins late, I deplaned and knew there was a DEN flight leaving in 45 minutes. Got myself on standby and basically had time to buy a bag of trailmix opposite the gate as they were already boarding and I was somehow listed 1st standby out of 20ish people \o/

We'll have to bribe S into a couple of Apex shuttle runs once the snow has melted in May :D

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Still beating my old Rallón R4. Just had 3 days riding to test the new Superstar Slackerizer angleset (-2 degrees). So far, digging it. Took me a couple of tries to have it decently aligned with the frame (I know I've said this a few times in the past, but damn I'd love to have polygonal head tubes/seat tubes/ fork steerers). The low speed maneuvering isn't serioulsy compromised with the new geometry (64° HA, 75.5° SA) due to the short offset Marzocchi, but the pedaling position got improved, and when pointing the thing down those two extra degrees of slackness are a wonderful thing to have.

The Slackerizer itself is pretty well built, and the bearings seems to be quality ones. A good way to modernize a bike with a ~$40 investment.

Let's see how long can I keep milking this old cow.

photo5094077529886664843.jpg

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
Gonna build up a Commencal supreme over the next few months...Decided on most of the parts aside from the shock. IDK if a fox DHX RC2 will work well with it because of the ramp up and similarly if a gucci shock like an EXT Arma or Fast holy grail are worth 2x the cost.

If anyone has ride time on those shocks, or knows any other good brands I'd love to hear it. Cheers!

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
@dovbush

I have just called 3 top suspension service centers to ask about a shock with longer service intervals than my Float X2 (dont really need the X2 for week day rides), and about a solid coil option (summer is coming so something for the bike parks). All said the Float X2 and DHX2 have issues that result in shorter service intervals, and not specifically routine intervals e.g. after X hours. Fox are trying to address the issues with new models.

My Float X2 has some play at the very top of the stroke as a result of air getting through the seals. This happened to my last Float X2 on a previous frame, so not too chuffed (Services are not cheap) and starting to see a trend.

For coil, all recommended a tuned Marzocchi as an affordable an effective option, CC DB as a solid performer at a mid price point, and all raved about the Ohlins.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Gonna build up a Commencal supreme over the next few months...Decided on most of the parts aside from the shock. IDK if a fox DHX RC2 will work well with it because of the ramp up and similarly if a gucci shock like an EXT Arma or Fast holy grail are worth 2x the cost.

If anyone has ride time on those shocks, or knows any other good brands I'd love to hear it. Cheers!
I’d get the EXT out of those 3 choices But I haven’t tried the Fast.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
For coil, all recommended a tuned Marzocchi as an affordable an effective option
This!

Nevertheless I got a Holly Grail for my "enduro" since I found one cheap on the local craiglist and since resizing and retuning it was also quite affordable. It is my second Holly Grail and did not have any issues with reliability with the first one, the second one has not seen much use yet... performance is fine for my level of riding, FWIW.

The drawback with Fast, or EXT, is that you will need to send the shock to a service centre since they don't sell service kits. Personally I like to service my shock at home.

Fox has some reliability issues with the X2 / DHX2 and should be avoided. Hopefully their new shock will solve that? Or they could just bring back the DHX RC4 ;)

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
The drawback with Fast, or EXT, is that you will need to send the shock to a service centre since they don't sell service kits. Personally I like to service my shock at home.

Fox has some reliability issues with the X2 / DHX2 and should be avoided. Hopefully their new shock will solve that? Or they could just bring back the DHX RC4 ;)
I seen comments on PB saying the EXTs are really easy to work on but not being able to get seal kits slipped my mind.
Tuned Van RC sounds good but I had a DHX 5.0 with that tipping IFP issue and the vans have plastic ones iirc, Unless tuners replace it or fox fixed it?
DVO Jade looks like a nice shock. They got good feedback on here aside from needing to be re-valved somtimes.

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
I seen comments on PB saying the EXTs are really easy to work on but not being able to get seal kits slipped my mind.
Tuned Van RC sounds good but I had a DHX 5.0 with that tipping IFP issue and the vans have plastic ones iirc, Unless tuners replace it or fox fixed it?
DVO Jade looks like a nice shock. They got good feedback on here aside from needing to be re-valved somtimes.
Apparently they have changed something about the Jade. Something about the bladder and possibly valving. I´d check with DVO if that´s the case.I read it on PB i think and it was nothing definitive, but probably worth checking before buying.

I´ll probably buy one of the older Jades in the next days.I can give some initial impressions once it´s on the bike, but no ride report till May.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle

As small company like EXT isn’t making their own seals, if you’re motivated it’s pretty simple to measure things out and buy the seals off the shelf from a hydraulic supply place. That’s how we had to do it with off-road shocks in the bad old days because nobody understood the concept of after sales support