Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Yes, also had a chance to ride one. It's a really good bike. Only shit I still don't get is the stupid bearing seat design.
Which bearings? Started pulling it apart and damn there are alot of bearings/seals/spacers in this thing! Good thing it doesn't rain in California anymore, changing pivot bearings is going to be a nightmare.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I will second that, but it also puts my Transition Scout to shame when climbing!

As much hate as Speshy gets (rightly deserved), this is the best bike they have done in a a long time. You can tell that the engineering department beat out the ID folks on this one (finally). Unlike the 2020 Stumpy...
Since when does special-ed have engineering? It’s always been art, legal, finance and marketing.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
New-to-me frankenUnridabrü26 2015 Canfield Balance, built as a shuttle machine for my next posting in El Salvador. Set up 26er for now, but glad to have the option for 27.5 with this frame in the future.

Got frame and parts from stiHacka and much appreciate his scavenging of many things I needed. Including the first dropper post I have ever owned in over 21 years of biking. It pedals so well it seems worth keeping it versatile.

That's my 7" 2005 Works 888 up front...think I used it 5x before stowing it for 15 years and it is still silky. 9spd gripshift and old MRP mini because fuck you, lizards and because. Built new wheels on Hope rear and a Nukeproof front w Spank something or other and 14g straight. Brand new TRP Quadiems, 8" f/r.

IMG_20200404_144022276.jpg

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
That's a proper monster bike for zombie apocalypse. I hope that the downtube sticker won't get you into too much trouble! :D Thank you for giving the frame a new life, Mike!!

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
That's a proper monster bike for zombie apocalypse. I hope that the downtube sticker won't get you into too much trouble! :D Thank you for giving the frame a new life, Mike!!
So I am not the kinda guy who normally puts a huge "SHRED PANZER" sticker on my downtube, but I will double down on it with these, which I think I took off a used Specialized Big Hit circa 2001-02. (The one with the 24" rear wheel...)

received_240992333763285.jpeg

FREERIDE, yo.

Also, I feel compelled to note I am running a stem longer than XC bikes have these days...

received_3023450647676266.jpeg

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Which bearings? Started pulling it apart and damn there are alot of bearings/seals/spacers in this thing! Good thing it doesn't rain in California anymore, changing pivot bearings is going to be a nightmare.
Their stupid design with two bearings in a seat coming in from both sides and a spacer between them. Even with really good and expensive blind pullers they are a real pain in the fucking ass to remove. At the horst link you can find one example of this glorious idea.

And on a buddy's s-werks frame kit one bolt snapped two times at 6.5 Nm where the manual calls for 12. Got a full free bearing and bolt kit everytime but annoying nonetheless. I think to remember it was in the new link driving the shock.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Yowza! Lovely build on the Stanton. What pedals are those? They look wauffa thin!
Thanks man! It's a slow evolution, rolling along as cash and time permits.

The pedals are Gamut Podiums. Really nice pedal until the going gets really burly, then the smaller platform is a bit of a hindrance, unfortunately.