Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
IMG_2683_small.jpg

Got my frame back, had the black originally but had a warranty issue and they hooked me up with what I really wanted all along...RAW

Also have an EXT Storia on the back now. 4 rides on it so far and incredibly impressed so far, but the thing is very noisy, with lots of hydraulic noise plus a clicking sound from one of the valves...apparently normal. Still getting used to that part.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
View attachment 145719

Got my frame back, had the black originally but had a warranty issue and they hooked me up with what I really wanted all along...RAW

Also have an EXT Storia on the back now. 4 rides on it so far and incredibly impressed so far, but the thing is very noisy, with lots of hydraulic noise plus a clicking sound from one of the valves...apparently normal. Still getting used to that part.
It's a Titan you've got isn't it? Prime is on my current list of possible next bikes.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I reduced the rear travel to 170mm with a dirty spacer on the shaft and steepened the head angle 1*. Since the frame was green and the rear shock gold I thought she needed a red freeride fork. Hot damn is this thing a hoot to rip around on. it turns so tight

DB346717-6B87-47FB-B8A8-0223A8F845CE.jpeg
9BC5F2EC-A70F-47F4-BEBB-E2AD7BD00EDB.jpeg
62744005-A985-4AC3-8467-7AD6335B1935.jpeg

9320AFEA-8708-4BCB-A30B-2D13738DC845.jpeg

Later that same day Kristof, one of the trailbuilders, managed to ride up the entire WC DH track in Champery on a KTM Freeride 350 to go get the shuttle truck. He even rode the rock slab corner, where Hill crashed in 2007 and Bryceland in 2011, and all the big ledges. Amazing! It was the first time he tried that bike too!

4B371DC7-A3C5-40B0-98BB-B47ECC8D686A.jpeg

I went ahead to move a branch out of this landing and got a shot of Kristof coming down.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBC8kIZHUDM/?igshid=1kpzwml8jc1l6

This is the mix I listen to when working on the Rasta freeride bike in the spliff garage, if anyone likes old reggae.

I was thinking. How about one of these days, I organize a big chalet in Chatel or Morgins for y’all and we get a bunch of you out here sending laps, beers and BBQ’s.

There’s all kinds of riding for every Style of bike and body and it’s probably never going to happen but hey let me know. I can help finding a big cheap house with lots of beds at the base of the lift.

The lifts are opening next week so I guess I’m getting excited.... Oh, and I promise to leave my ebikes at home if you guys come over. @kidwoo I got a 300 exc for you and @Udi some HAYES BRAKES. Fly into Geneva, btw.

Last edited:

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I was thinking. How about one of these days, I organize a big chalet in Chatel or Morgins for y’all and we get a bunch of you out here sending laps, beers and BBQ’s.

There’s all kinds of riding for every Style of bike and body and it’s probably never going to happen but hey let me know. I can help finding a big cheap house with lots of beds at the base of the lift.

The lifts are opening next week so I guess I’m getting excited.... Oh, and I promise to leave my ebikes at home if you guys come over. @kidwoo I got a 300 exc for you and @Udi some HAYES BRAKES. Fly into Geneva, btw.
I was looking at Chalets in Champery just yesterday, but I take it that the lifts are closing again at the end of August? Finally Eurobike gets cancelled but I still can't seem to squeeze in a Champery trip instead.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Well @buckoW , here we are 10+ years later and I still hate you and that crappy life you have over there! :eek: :D

I hereby invite you to come to the Golden State; where you can sit in traffic all day long, maybe get shot on the freeway, pay way too much for beer, get harassed and threatened for riding your dirt bike, and lastly enjoy all the lift service trails we don't have. It's a paradise on earth.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I was looking at Chalets in Champery just yesterday, but I take it that the lifts are closing again at the end of August? Finally Eurobike gets cancelled but I still can't seem to squeeze in a Champery trip instead.
If you do end up coming let me know!

The lifts connecting all the bikeparks close at the end of August but usually there are a few weekends in September for Morgins and Châtel. Champery stays open until October usually. I really should know the dates better.

@Redwood Mulch Chucker and @Happymtb.fr Let’s try and make something happen in the next couple years. It could be fun!

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
My old Thule T2 was ugly, heavy and blocked my backup camera so I was removing it when not used. In addition new bikes are so big the wheels stuck out a good foot either side of the car. This killed fuel mileage an kind of sucked for some of the super narrow streets I drive. So I fabed up a single fork mount out of some shit laying around in the basement.

EDIT: just noticed my plates had expired, this has been corrected thanks to Washington's online DMV system.
The fact that you actually have a basement is deeply, deeply troubling to me.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The fact that you actually have a basement is deeply, deeply troubling to me.

Try digging a fighting pit in your living room. Yeah great for entertaining but it fucking sucks when you drop your car keys down there. You'd be surprised how much you have to use the hose for the keys to get into the basket.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
If you do end up coming let me know!

The lifts connecting all the bikeparks close at the end of August but usually there are a few weekends in September for Morgins and Châtel. Champery stays open until October usually. I really should know the dates better.

@Redwood Mulch Chucker and @Happymtb.fr Let’s try and make something happen in the next couple years. It could be fun!
Unfortunately i need lift service during the week, plus this will be my birthday trip and i'm paying for accomodation for everyone, so i opted for Schladming, where the Chalets are a bit more affordable.

I still really like the idea of a Euro monkey get together in Champery, let's look into this for 2021.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Unfortunately i need lift service during the week, plus this will be my birthday trip and i'm paying for accomodation for everyone, so i opted for Schladming, where the Chalets are a bit more affordable.

I still really like the idea of a Euro monkey get together in Champery, let's look into this for 2021.
Hey Sandro, been there last week. Take it easy, the new Jumpline is tricky, some jumps need some pedalling, some a speed check. And they changed the big Step-Up on the DH track under the gondola. Overshot it by 5-7 m and knocked myself cold out for at least 5 mins - spent 2 nights at the hospital with an excellent concussion...

Attachments

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
That's a blast, from the past is it still working? I have mine around here somewhere.
Yep! The remote LP version is maybe 8 years old, works great with the Thomson remote. 1"-2"-5" drop. Like I said, it's the spare that lives in the back of the car bike crap bin. For emergency use. With the shim and the external routing can be used on my or almost anyone else's bike if they have a problem at the trailhead or on a trip.

The O.G. Descender post still works fine, pulling townie/commuter bike duty. The pull knob assembly bonded to the outer post has pops free several times over the years. Most recently I said screw it and just have zip ties around it. J-B Weld has worked in the past but eventually it always comes free. It's at least 15 years old. 1-2-4" drops. It's great because I can whip it out of the commuter bike and with shin use it on any bike. Dated and non-remote as it is, makes a great back up to the remote back up.

Both have been used in backup capacity several times over the years.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Hey Sandro, been there last week. Take it easy, the new Jumpline is tricky, some jumps need some pedalling, some a speed check. And they changed the big Step-Up on the DH track under the gondola. Overshot it by 5-7 m and knocked myself cold out for at least 5 mins - spent 2 nights at the hospital with an excellent concussion...
Damn, heal up soon man!

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
@Flo33
Damn bro, overshooting 5-7m sounds scary on that jump. I´ve avoided Schladming so far cause i heard the new lines were still not properly hardened and therefore a little sketchy. How did you like the changes and new tracks so far?
And judging by that helmet, you´ll definitely need some resting time. I´m still struggling with the repercussions of a non bike related concussion few years ago and let me tell you, you need to take that stuff seriously. Long term effects are not to be trifled with. Hope everything goes well for you and you heal up fine!

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Duuude, I'm really sorry to hear that but thanks a lot for warning me. Hope you get enough rest and heal up completely.

Do you or @Loki87 know if Wagrain has added anything over the last two years? I like some sections there and the familial atmosphere that comes from hardly anyone riding there, but the park is a bit limited shall we say.

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
Duuude, I'm really sorry to hear that but thanks a lot for warning me. Hope you get enough rest and heal up completely.

Do you or @Loki87 know if Wagrain has added anything over the last two years? I like some sections there and the familial atmosphere that comes from hardly anyone riding there, but the park is a bit limited shall we say.
I haven't been up there last year at all, but the park seems a little dead for a long time. Last I heard they are severely limited by land owners interfering with pretty much anything they plan and in recent years it seemed like there was no interest to do any more than maintain the existing lines. I also frequently heard for years about them closing for a year to rebuild the gondola, which also hasn't happened. Last I checked they also shut down the homepage.
So I wouldn't expect there to be much new stuff. When are you planning to go? I'll definitely go at some point in the near future, as it's less than an hours drive from my home and can let you know how things are when I've been there.

EDIT: So according to the homepage it is finally happening and they closed the park until the new gondola is built. Lol, it only took them about 7 years since I was first told about it by one of the shapers.

Last edited:

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
waheeyyy
1592073718573.png

first impressions:
it's low as fuck. Like im 75kg on a 425 spring and i do not want more sag.
the rear end is flexyyyy
internal routing SUCKS
the best part about the EXT arma is it goes pshyk pshyk real loud when it hits things

overall cost me just under 4500 euro. only the fork and shock are second hand. i also forgot to buy a bash guard lol

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
around 34cm unweighted bb height and I think i have about 20% sag. my old bike is about 37cm and similar sag.

I just remembered i wound out all the compression in the shock so it must have been blowing through the travel when doing the stair test haha

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
New bars, grips, X01 shifter, Garmin mount insert and a shiny new PNW dropper lever from @Nick. All parts required to replace breakages from a crash last week.

20200613_201052_resized.jpg

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
@jstuhlman @Olly @StiHacka @Loki87 @Sandro @Happymtb.fr Thx guys, I spent last week chilling and relaxing. After a thorough inspection by a good friend of mine who happens to be a neurologist I did a proper road ride on Saturday and felt pretty good. Only thing I'm still uncomfortable with are vibrations and watching TV, both of which are easily avoided. So no mtb atam and no stupid movies etc.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
How did you like the changes and new tracks so far?
The new jumpline up top is a nice addition but still needs some refinements imho. On the bigger jumps I had to control my speed top not overshoot them and on some smaller ones I struggled to clear them or had to pedal hard. Ground conditions were pretty good when I was there, nothing too soft or bouncy.

On the technical parts of the DH track there are roots everywhere, but it's been like this forever and there are chicken lines everywhere if one doesn't like it. The new singletrail lines are sick, it was a good idea to get Markus Pekoll involved with the trail building, although he is not as free to decide as he should be. Andreas Kolb also has built some nice steep and techy lines on the DH track.