Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
Still working away on the dentist rig, still a few more things to do- new deity bars waiting for these ones to get banged up a little more, raven 165
eewings, 52t oil slick cassette and chain, absolute black 32t oval front, bikeyolk 200mm revive dropper, and trying to hunt down a 77 designs stem in the states- all of that should drop another 3/4lbs off the bike.

Recent updates:
- Industry nine 315c wheels- amazing ride quality- turq hubs and orange
- sworks phenom saddle (insanely light)
- AXS upgrade, would almost have paid retail for this, it’s that damn good
-turq painted port covers
- fresh dissector DH and assguy DD tires+Cushcore xc, heading to Tamarack this weekend
- occam + tubelito s x2 tubes and tools

Attachments

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Ooooo dentisty...I like. So you are digging AXS? I personally am but it's still a mind F*ck having one bike w/ and one without...The only downside I seem to notice is that I hit that damn trigger all the time (unknowingly when off the bike), so my bike is never in the right gear. I was riding DH last weekend and I swear every time I got off the lift it was in the wrong gear...

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Ooooo dentisty...I like. So you are digging AXS? I personally am but it's still a mind F*ck having one bike w/ and one without...The only downside I seem to notice is that I hit that damn trigger all the time (unknowingly when off the bike), so my bike is never in the right gear. I was riding DH last weekend and I swear every time I got off the lift it was in the wrong gear...

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Lift served DH with a $700 rear derailleur? That could get a little...pricey no?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Lift served DH with a $700 rear derailleur? That could get a little...pricey no?
Generally I would probably say the same thing but practically it's not exactly a spindly piece of equipment, it's pretty tough. Also I'm absolutely not changing out my derail for 3 days of riding. In my 20 years of riding i've only fully killed 1 rear derail so not much of a concern...I'd also hope that SRAM can smack out some cages etc if there were ever a heavy hit.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
I'm loving it... I have always been hard on my rear mechs and have had zero issues thus far. Just did a full day at tamarack in Idaho riding everything blind and fast and smoked it once and it still shifts perfectly. The micro adjust is money, never out of line and always perfect. Have over 300 miles on it and still over half battery life. The shifting is damn smooth, love the two or three gear dump options and i find the trigger to fit perfectly in my thumb with my set up. I do notice the random ghost shifting but oh well.

Yea and $700 for the damn thing, $1k for the kit..... but who pays retail (well besides dentists). I would happily pay $700 though for a new rear derailleur, its worth it after running it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yea and $700 for the damn thing, $1k for the kit..... but who pays retail (well besides dentists). I would happily pay $700 though for a new rear derailleur, its worth it after running it.
Damn, that's some serious next-level shit. Here I am on rides thinking about how great my derailleurs shift and how they hold up so much better than in years past and now they don't work again!

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Have you submerged it yet? Or pressure cleaned? Kinda curious how they will last

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Dump it's actually more, I think it's like $1,000 USD at full retail. Luckily I didn't pay even half of that for mine...
I see everyone has a hookup these days :)

meanwhile, my x0 from so long ago I can’t remember is still running perfect.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I see everyone has a hookup these days :)

meanwhile, my x0 from so long ago I can’t remember is still running perfect.
Yes, I am lucky in that regard...I can't see myself ever paying retail for this stuff. As for those old XO's, they are still amazing...I don't blame you.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
The instinct and Altitude are the exact same frame this year, with different rockers and shocks for your intended purpose. The frames will also have two wheelbase length options (10mm variance). The ride 9 stays as well, so super tunable.
So essentially an Instinct BC is just an Altitude.

Size MED geos Slack/Neut/Steep
Reach = 456 / 462 / 468
TTH = 609 / 608 / 607
HTA = 65.1 / 65.7 / 66.2
STA= 76.1 / 76.7 / 77.2

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Do you ever look back and wonder wtf you were thinking with some bikes?

Like using Ardents on the DH bike or having Codes on the trail bike and Elixirs on the DH. :panic:

I only look back with a bit of remorse for selling great bikes. Otherwise, looking back mainly confirms the great decisions I made over the years! :P

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I only look back with a bit of remorse for selling great bikes. Otherwise, looking back mainly confirms the great decisions I made over the years! :P
True true. I guess you're right. That Transition was amazeballs in every way, except the stupid integrated headset. Bromont would make it wiggle loose every weekend.

That same which brought so many memories and skills also funded my first year of college, after selling it. Which has now allowed me to continue on with more and more bike purchases. :)

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
True true. I guess you're right. That Transition was amazeballs in every way, except the stupid integrated headset. Bromont would make it wiggle loose every weekend.

That same which brought so many memories and skills also funded my first year of college, after selling it. Which has now allowed me to continue on with more and more bike purchases. :)
I still have a Yeti DH6 I bought my first year in college. It blew up shocks so quickly after each rebuild that I never felt comfortable selling it.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Downduro (aka monster truckin' on an F1 course)
* Squished the first 8 gears of a SRAM 12-36 cassette onto a 7 speed hub
* Put some 2.35 DHF EXOs on
* QR seat collar installed
* Popped the seatpost (needs to be a little taller...)
Enduro V10.jpg

Took it on my regular XC/DH loop.

In the end I was within striking distance of my times on my much lighter hardtail.

Not sure whether that's awesome or downright embarrassing :close::happydance:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Downduro (aka monster truckin' on an F1 course)
* Squished the first 8 gears of a SRAM 12-36 cassette onto a 7 speed hub
* Put some 2.35 DHF EXOs on
* QR seat collar installed
* Popped the seatpost (needs to be a little taller...)
View attachment 149413

Took it on my regular XC/DH loop.

In the end I was within striking distance of my times on my much lighter hardtail.

Not sure whether that's awesome or downright embarrassing :close::happydance:
I guess not much climbing involved or super rough descents?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Do you ever look back and wonder wtf you were thinking with some bikes?

Like using Ardents on the DH bike or having Codes on the trail bike and Elixirs on the DH. :panic:

Never understood the popularity of the Ardent, I tried it once and was "meh", but shops stock them like crazy and seem to sell them...

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Never understood the popularity of the Ardent, I tried it once and was "meh", but shops stock them like crazy and seem to sell them...
like 10 years ago before people started throwing dhfs on everything it was pretty much the only tire in maxxis's lineup between dh and xc.