Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
New “hack around with the kids at the pump track”-mobile
View attachment 154786

super score from a very nice lady.
Nice chromag! How did she get those unrideable forks that low? With some old fox travel spacers or DIY pvc spacers? Standard travel on the 26" durolux that I had for many years was 140 to 180 mm and changed by moving the little pin on the air shaft.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Nice chromag! How did she get those unrideable forks that low? With some old fox travel spacers or DIY pvc spacers? Standard travel on the 26" durolux that I had for many years was 140 to 180 mm and changed by moving the little pin on the air shaft.
no idea! All I know it was a screaming deal, and I’ve always wanted a RUX.

This is pretty close.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Just ordered a "light" wheel set for the Smash. Industry Nine Trail 270 32 hole in the rear, alloy rim and spokes, Enduro 305 28 hole up front, alloy rim, steel spokes. First time trying the I9 stuff. Maybe I'll see them by summer?

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Just ordered a "light" wheel set for the Smash. Industry Nine Trail 270 32 hole in the rear, alloy rim and spokes, Enduro 305 28 hole up front, alloy rim, steel spokes. First time trying the I9 stuff. Maybe I'll see them by summer?
I'd think they'd come decently quick. Pretty much everything is made in house except bearings. Hopefully those are not in short supply or we're all in deep shit. FWIW I've had a few sets of the enduro wheels and have been pleased and I9 is currently replacing the rims on one set as we speak. Got 5 years of Pisgah and medium big jumps out of them. The front is fine, rear has a few dings and I just wanted to freshen everything up.

Out of curiosity, why'd you chose the rim and spoke for each wheel? I get the wider rim up front since a bigger front meat is better but why steel up front?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Out of curiosity, why'd you chose the rim and spoke for each wheel? I get the wider rim up front since a bigger front meat is better but why steel up front?
My goal with this wheelset is to drop some weight, and try a stiffer wheel in the back for (hopefully) improved pedaling characteristics (anything to make climbing less of a chore). The latter is a bit of an experiment for sure. I went with the 30mm up front because I like how the 2.5 Maxxis /2.3 Schwable tires handle at that width; I went with steel for more compliance through chunk, and I went with 28 hole because that was the only option (I ordered the front as a pre-built). For the rear I went with the 27mm because it drops ~50 grams off the Flow rims on my other wheelset; alloy spokes because I want a stiffer rear wheel for pedaling purposes, and 32 hole for stiffness/strength. This wheelset will be for EXO+ tires, and my Flow/Hope wheelset will be for DDs.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
What's your take on alloy spoked I9s vs a typical non-I9 hand built steel spoke wheel, particularly the rear?
Not the fella you're looking for, but I ran a set of their alloy spoked wheels for a while and they were noticeably stiffer than a similar steel-spoked wheel I was running just before I got them. The spoke cross section is huge compared to steel, so more stiffness. Honestly, I liked the feel quite a bit, but the downsides were a durability and affordability tradeoff...softer metal that gouged a bit easier, fatigue life was shorter than steel so spokes would start failing a little sooner, and they were wickedly expensive to replace.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
What's your take on alloy spoked I9s vs a typical non-I9 hand built steel spoke wheel, particularly the rear?
I also find them notably stiffer than traditional wheels--really like it. I've never ridden carbon but I've liked my I9s better than any other wheel I've had (including some well built DTs, Hopes and Hadleys) mostly because of how laterally stiff they are.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Not for the bikes, but still for the bikes. Had to spend some of that sweet, sweet working with Covid money and help the economy, right? Little bits of overtime add up.

eta: not that fancy. didn't have a truing stand, and now that I've built up a half dozen of my wheels (still remarkable round!) figured it was time to get one.

the new stand bit is on top of my old stand, so it wasn't as spendy as springing for the whole thing.

20210127_173930.jpg
20210127_173812.jpg

Last edited:

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Shore frame is finally here. It's not light - 11.2 lbs with shock according to the bathroom scale, but feels...durable.

I want that so much despite not being able to justify having one even using the most lenient bike acquisition driven standards for an excuse or rationale. Keep us posted on your experience!

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Totally different shock layout, high pivot etc, but totally reminds me of the old Turner Highline.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Not the fella you're looking for, but I ran a set of their alloy spoked wheels for a while and they were noticeably stiffer than a similar steel-spoked wheel I was running just before I got them. The spoke cross section is huge compared to steel, so more stiffness. Honestly, I liked the feel quite a bit, but the downsides were a durability and affordability tradeoff...softer metal that gouged a bit easier, fatigue life was shorter than steel so spokes would start failing a little sooner, and they were wickedly expensive to replace.
Interesting, I have the same ride impressions, but have been absolutely blown away by the durability of the i9 spokes. My old set of 24mm wide trails gave me 4 good years, and 18 months later the buddy I sold the Intense to is still beating the shit out of them and has yet to break a spoke or even knock one out of true. I'm pretty easy on wheels, but he is definitely not, previously he was a 2-3 entirely new rear wheels a year kind of guy, and no matter who built the wheels I was truing his rear wheel every 3-4 rides.

I'm 100% sold on i9 wheels.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I want that so much despite not being able to justify having one even using the most lenient bike acquisition driven standards for an excuse or rationale. Keep us posted on your experience!
It's a full fledged DH bike that has a trail bike seat angle, it's TWO BIKES FOR THE PRICE OF ONE! What more rationale do you need???

Well...really it's a DH bike with a trail bike seat angle. I wouldn't actually want to trail ride on it.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Well...really it's a DH bike with a trail bike seat angle. I wouldn't actually want to trail ride on it.
Back in the day a local dude was known for trail riding his Yeti Lawwill 8 because " why would you not want DH bike geometry everywhere". He clearly was a prophet!

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
It's a full fledged DH bike that has a trail bike seat angle, it's TWO BIKES FOR THE PRICE OF ONE! What more rationale do you need???
If I did not have a HSP DH bike and a real nice megatrail this would be the obvious answer. I guess I could sell them both for oodles of money (since you know used bikes hold value super well) and buy one nice Shore and I'd actually be earning money! Hmmmm...bike math is best math.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
If I did not have a HSP DH bike and a real nice megatrail this would be the obvious answer. I guess I could sell them both for oodles of money (since you know used bikes hold value super well) and buy one nice Shore and I'd actually be earning money! Hmmmm...bike math is best math.
I just sold my Bronson, Clash and Glory and replaced with a Smash and Shore. You can actually make a bundle selling bikes right now.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
I just sold my Bronson, Clash and Glory and replaced with a Smash and Shore. You can actually make a bundle selling bikes right now.
Only problem is getting a new bike to replace the old ones. Hearing folks are taking orders for 20222 at this point unless its on the shelf or inbound soon.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I have friends who've managed to buy Spec, Ibis and Yeti at retail in the last month. Call your LBS. You'll have a better chance if your "local bike shop" is a regional chain.

Ridemonkey caveat: Yeah, I don't like those 3 brands either.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Thanks! Yeah I dig it.

Polished/clearcoated aluminum costs an extra $100 over the painted 2021 frames. However, due to an issue with delivery of the white/black painted frame, Commie USA gave me this at the cheaper price.

It's kind of a throwback to a 2008 freeride bike or something and about as far from EnduroBlue™ as you can get. I should be riding it in a basketball jersey.

Link

That's a great looking bike. Did it come stock polished like that? Or are we looking at some sort of powdercoat?

Last edited: