Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
What don't you like about the BB height? I found the Bronson V3 to be one of the most telepathic handling bikes I ever owned, and the Nomad V4 has basically the same geo.
Last time I checked GG was lower, so sticking 26" wheels in there would get me in the chainring-hits-ground-at-bottom-out territory.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Looks like a crankset preload, but I see no threads on the inside.
The silver ring without threads on the inside has threads on the outside. Pretty bitching packaging preventing damage while en route.
I have procured a new germanic attachment for zee west coast rocks. :rockout:
Slow boat shipping took only 2.5 months!

View attachment 156609
It works well but cries on zee rocks a little.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Not sure what material the one on my ancient set of XTR 970 cranks is on my trail bike...

edit: ha, just checked how old they are and it's exactly 11 years to the day since I bought them

Capture.JPG

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
After cracking a few plastic preload rings I sprung for the metal Cane Creek version. WHY would anyone make that fragile part of plastic? :disgust:
The first RF Cinch ones were aluminum, but they had issues with creaking in some cases, and switched to plastic after a year or two.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
After cracking a few plastic preload rings I sprung for the metal Cane Creek version. WHY would anyone make that fragile part of plastic? :disgust:
I killed one of those too by over tightening the Allen head, not realizing that it was made of stale licorice. Gosh i was pissed.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Welllllll.... excuse the long winded post but its new bike day and I'm 4 beers past being legally allowed to operate a keyboard.

Got a new bike today.

20210218_155416.jpg

2021 Nukeproof Mega 275 RS.

Yep 27.5 wheels. That's it stock with the addition of pedals and bolt on fender. Bolt on fenders are sick btw - this shit should be mandatory.

Finishing touches on it are pretty cool. Check out the oil slick everything on the Code RSCs

Oil.jpg

Like every bolt is oil slick. Even the damn pad spring is. Good effort.

Ok so rambling, incoherent, 4 lap assessment.

This thing is damn cool. Obviously built by someone who rides, there are shields on all the bearings. No catch points for filth to pile up, proper sized hardware all round and it comes with pre-installed frame wrap. Included in the box were spare cable entry grommets, touch up paint, protective 3M film stickers and a bunch of tokens for the fork. Impressively, they included the full Deemax kit - valves, 6 spare spokes and a fucken spare freehub if I wanted to covert to Shimano. Speaking of the Deemax, I'm normally wary of proprietary spokes and silly less-than-32 spoke wheels buuuuut first impressions are promising. 28mm internal, 56 point engagement, no Centrelock bullshit and they have the sickest decals I've ever had.

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1613616471267_6767998019908389928.jpeg

Finishing kit is all pretty normal - Reverb (fuck off to the bin you go - who runs 150mm drop these days you overpriced piece of shit). Why are Reverbs still around? They're mediocre and horrible.

Guide RSCs with oil slick everything. X01 drivetrain. Michelin Enduro tyres. Zeb fork. Nukeproof bars and stem.

4 quick runs to assess it, so here is the complete and scientific review.

31.8mm carbon bars make 35mm alloy bars feel like noodles. Jesus they're monsters. Unfortunately I have too many broken hand bones and I prefer higher rise than 20mm so they're going on the old bike for sale and 35mm rise Chromag alloys are going on.

The Nukeproof Enduro saddle feels like you were the smallest guy in the lockup cell overnight with a guy called Bowling Ball Bag Bob. I cut the ride short to go get something that at least packed lube.

I've run Michelin tyres in the past and sold them after a week. These seem destined for the same fate. I have no idea how Hill wins on them, they just don't work for me and I'm scared. Going back to an Assegai or Mary ASAP.

There's no non-wanky way to say this, but Codes feel like the off-brand imitation Lego bricks you get in flea markets compared to Hopes. Sure they seem to mostly work but they're kinda "plasticky?" I guess. I'll give em a few more runs and a bleed but they're definitely in the maybe category.

The Zeb is bonkers. I thought the Lyrik was ok but this is a different kettle of fish. Needs more time but seriously - sideways landing into a rut and I've never felt more direct or controlled on a single crown fork.

The whole package - stupidly quiet. Doesn't climb very well - I think the lockout is in reach for a reason. Descending it seems to go well - I did three laps and the last one was 1sec off the KOM on a new bike on a 1:02 segment. I don't trust the front tyre enough to really be silly but thats promising.

Will report back again. Glad I stayed with the fun wheels tbh. I test rode a bunch of 29ers and they're super confidence inspiring but in the end I got into MTB because I couldn't afford a rally car. 29ers feel like formula one cars and I'd rather just get a bit loose and have fun.

Last edited:

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Welllllll.... excuse the long winded post but its new bike day and I'm 4 beers past being legally allowed to operate a keyboard.

Got a new bike today.

View attachment 156719

2021 Nukeproof Mega 275 RS.

Yep 27.5 wheels. That's it stock with the addition of pedals and bolt on fender. Bolt on fenders are sick btw - this shit should be mandatory.

Finishing touches on it are pretty cool. Check out the oil slick everything on the Code RSCs

View attachment 156720

Like every bolt is oil slick. Even the damn pad spring is. Good effort.

Ok so rambling, incoherent, 4 lap assessment.

This thing is damn cool. Obviously built by someone who rides, there are shields on all the bearings. No catch points for filth to pile up, proper sized hardware all round and it comes with pre-installed frame wrap. Included in the box were spare cable entry grommets, touch up paint, protective 3M film stickers and a bunch of tokens for the fork. Impressively, they included the full Deemax kit - valves, 6 spare spokes and a fucken spare freehub if I wanted to covert to Shimano. Speaking of the Deemax, I'm normally wary of proprietary spokes and silly less-than-32 spoke wheels buuuuut first impressions are promising. 28mm internal, 56 point engagement, no Centrelock bullshit and they have the sickest decals I've ever had.

View attachment 156721

Finishing kit is all pretty normal - Reverb (fuck off to the bin you go - who runs 150mm drop these days you overpriced piece of shit). Why are Reverbs still around? They're mediocre and horrible.

Guide RSCs with oil slick everything. X01 drivetrain. Michelin Enduro tyres. Zeb fork. Nukeproof bars and stem.

4 quick runs to assess it, so here is the complete and scientific review.

31.8mm carbon bars make 35mm alloy bars feel like noodles. Jesus they're monsters. Unfortunately I have too many broken hand bones and I prefer higher rise than 20mm so they're going on the old bike for sale and 35mm rise Chromag alloys are going on.

The Nukeproof Enduro saddle feels like you were the smallest guy in the lockup cell overnight with a guy called Bowling Ball Bag Bob. I cut the ride short to go get something that at least packed lube.

I've run Michelin tyres in the past and sold them after a week. These seem destined for the same fate. I have no idea how Hill wins on them, they just don't work for me and I'm scared. Going back to an Assegai or Mary ASAP.

There's no non-wanky way to say this, but Codes feel like the off-brand imitation Lego bricks you get in flea markets compared to Codes. Sure they seem to mostly work but they're kinda "plasticky?" I guess. I'll give em a few more runs and a bleed but they're definitely in the maybe category.

The Zeb is bonkers. I thought the Lyrik was ok but this is a different kettle of fish. Needs more time but seriously - sideways landing into a rut and I've never felt more direct or controlled on a single crown fork.

The whole package - stupidly quiet. Doesn't climb very well - I think the lockout is in reach for a reason. Descending it seems to go well - I did three laps and the last one was 1sec off the KOM on a new bike on a 1:02 segment. I don't trust the front tyre enough to really be silly but thats promising.

Will report back again. Glad I stayed with the fun wheels tbh. I test rode a bunch of 29ers and they're super confidence inspiring but in the end I got into MTB because I couldn't afford a rally car. 29ers feel like formula one cars and I'd rather just get a bit loose and have fun.
Nice, congrats. So this replaces a Patrol?

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
That's sick. Congrats. The Mega is on my list but gonna play with the Reactor for a bit fist. Agree with the clean finished product as fas as the frame goes. Enjoy

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
That's sick. Congrats. The Mega is on my list but gonna play with the Reactor for a bit fist. Agree with the clean finished product as fas as the frame goes. Enjoy
There's just something really nice about bikes that don't have nooks and crannies everywhere for mud and filth to get trapped. I've had some shockers in the past that had massive canoe sections that made you invert the bike to get water and mud out of. The IH Sunday had an annoying catch spot for starters. A buddy's Banshee Legend was terrible for it as well.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
compared to what?
Whoops edited. I've been on Hopes on my bikes for the past three years. The Codes seem powerful enough, they just seem a little cheesy is all. The 180mm rear rotor is a little annoying also, but will see how long it takes my brake dragging ass to turn that thing purple.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Whoops edited. I've been on Hopes on my bikes for the past three years. The Codes seem powerful enough, they just seem a little cheesy is all. The 180mm rear rotor is a little annoying also, but will see how long it takes my brake dragging ass to turn that thing purple.

But oilslick

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Pretty much done with this build and it's spot. Horizons back on the full sus and decided to try some Vaults. Changed out the Reverb for a Manic. Hand me down tires were really looking chewed up and I wanted to see if I could find something that would roll faster, so giving a 2.4 Disector and 2.3 Aggresor a shot. 2 rides in and super happy. Riding hardpack and communiting to trails on tarmac. Havent pushed them really hard in corners yet, and with trails being wet there is some added traction. I expect Summer loose over hard will be the real indicator. I was a little concerened with the volume of the Disector, coming off a 2.5 DHF, which is a balloon. I will say this combo rolls alot quicker, and is really noticable when coasting into doubles that I typically manual through or gap. This has been the perfect Winter bike for local laps and playing on pump tracks, keeping the miles up through the off season. No plans to take it to the mountains.

20210219_064504.jpg