Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
I've run Michelin tyres in the past and sold them after a week. These seem destined for the same fate. I have no idea how Hill wins on them, they just don't work for me and I'm scared. Going back to an Assegai or Mary ASAP.
I'm gonna take a while guess and assume he's not running OE rubber. I've experienced the same thing with Vittoria tires. Same tire, different rubber for OE and aftermarket. BIG difference.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm gonna take a while guess and assume he's not running OE rubber. I've experienced the same thing with Vittoria tires. Same tire, different rubber for OE and aftermarket. BIG difference.
Idk the new michy stuff is pretty good. I have a set of the wild rockr2 on my megatrail, and just picked up a set of dh34 for the bike park, and these came highly recommended.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I dunno. The first set of Michelins I had were purchased aftermarket so they shouldn't be OE spec. The pair that came on the Mega definitely felt like the rubber was nice and soft as well. To be clear, they're not bad tyres really - the back tyre is really nice (although the casing feels a bit light? Around 100g lighter than a DHR2 DD). I never punctured it, but really only ran them for maybe five or six rides in total.

The front was the main issue for me - I think they need a higher pressure than a Maxxis or Schwalbe to provide support but there's also a sort of gap in the transition from upright to edge knobs. If you're confident and riding aggressively its a non-issue. You know those tracks and rides where you're hammering the straights and slamming into corners fully banked. Where I didn't like it was those nervous slow moments where you're spending too long leaning from the centre knobs to the edge. Like a slow drop into a techy chute or traversing cross-camber, the combination of a gap in tread pattern and softish casing and squirmy edge knobs make it feel a little less re-assuring.

We were doing practise for the past weekends enduro and one stage had a long section of "side-hill" where the trail cut along the side of the hill for maybe 1:30 of track. I had three separate moments where I nearly lost the front end by failing to get the front tyre onto those side knobs fast enough. For the race I went back to the Assegai front (DD, Max Grip) and the only issue I had was being too unfit to sprint the flat connectors on that stage.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Took the Zeb out for its first ride today. Felt like crap with only 45 psi in it, much better at 60. Needs a token installed.
could definitely feel the extra heft on wheelie drops...but I could also feel the extra stiffness in some ruts that nearly stopped the bike’s forward momentum. Like it so far!

Last edited:

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
DAMMIT @buckoW!!1!!!!111!!1!! i don't. understand. how you ride. with the nose on the saddle. at anything less than parallel. to. the. ground.
Because some uphill trails are steep in Yrup, like really steep and long. And then it's an absolute pain in the back to keep your ass from moving backwards off the saddle all the time. Going uphill for more than 1200 m vertical ascent with an average gradient of 15 % is arduous by itself, no need to make it harder just to follow fashion.

Last edited:

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Because some uphill trails are steep in Yrup, like really steep and long. And then it's an absolute pain in the back to keep your ass from moving backwards off the saddle all the time. Going uphill for more than 1200 m vertical ascend with an average gradient of 15 % is arduous by itself, no need to make it harder just to follow fashion.
Our hills aren't that big - most are just 150 - 500m climbs. But they're steepish. I think once you're doing 15%+ climbs (or whatever 150m vert/1km equals) a dorky steep SA and a downwards tilted saddle are basic needs unless you either don't like your lower back or enjoy numb wedding tackle.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Our hills aren't that big - most are just 150 - 500m climbs. But they're steepish. I think once you're doing 15%+ climbs (or whatever 150m vert/1km equals) a dorky steep SA and a downwards tilted saddle are basic needs unless you either don't like your lower back or enjoy numb wedding tackle.
Numb wedding tackle, exactly the words I was looking for. :banana:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
maybe i just have a weird shaped ass...anything less than parallel with the ground and i feel like i'm constantly falling out of the saddle. and yes, i have a wide variety of climbs on my rides. i'm probably one of the least "fashionable" riders you'll find. but seeing saddles with the nose pointed down makes me viscerally uncomfortable!

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
My lower back is moldy and it’s steep af right out my back door. My back decides what we do these days. He’s the quiet type but very persuasive. I would like that Anaemoly seat angle thing for the downs though.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
My lower back is moldy and it’s steep af right out my back door. My back decides what we do these days. He’s the quiet type but very persuasive. I would like that Anaemoly seat angle thing for the downs though.
I actually kind like the theory of that stupid Wu seatpost that Specialized had. Nose down for the climbs, nose up for shenanigans. But limited drop sucks.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I actually kind like the theory of that stupid Wu seatpost that Specialized had. Nose down for the climbs, nose up for shenanigans. But limited drop sucks.
Agreed! I’ve been patiently waiting for a 170mm to 200mm version since that WU one came out. That Aenomoly will do if it ever comes out.

New E bike is fun af. I need a 200mm seat post on there. Who makes a inexpensive 200mm one?
48DEB1E1-B3A7-46FB-9303-EB4B370C937B.jpeg

This new to me lathe is for making bike parts so that sort of counts.

39D878A0-D704-4702-BCA0-537894EB39A3.jpeg

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
reddin' up the DH bike for the season, as its largely sat unused for a few years since kids. finally lacing up my 823s, Michelin DH34s, cushcore.

considering a reach adjust headset because the bike is now 11 years old.

also lucked into an Avalanche Woodie shock for it. :waits for RM to be triggered:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Not a whole lot. About 5–7mm max, depending on headtube and steerer tube configuration.

Works Components makes pretty decent ones at a fairly reasonable price.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
This was discussed not to long ago, what you get in reach you lose again due to the stack increase, so net zero actual change in reach. It does put your steerer and front axle 5mm farther out though.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have had the same thoughts, but have never looked into them.
How much added reach can you realistically get? - and is that at a cost that makes sense?
Not a whole lot. About 5–7mm max, depending on headtube and steerer tube configuration.

Works Components makes pretty decent ones at a fairly reasonable price.
yea, it wouldn't be a ton, which is why i'm only considering it. fwiw its a straight 1.5 head tube with a 1-1/8 straight steerer so it is the 'optimal" configuration for it. the works version would give me i think 6mm

This was discussed not to long ago, what you get in reach you lose again due to the stack increase, so net zero actual change in reach. It does put your steerer and front axle 5mm farther out though.
this is on a DH bike with the above configuration. its a ZS headset, my current headset is 7mm stack height, the works version for my setup has a 9mm stack height, so only 2mm net increase.

edit: looking at the exploded diagram on the works version, if i was really serious & motivated about this i could probably have 2mm milled off the bearing cover for no net increase.

Last edited:

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
On DH bikes with straight 1.5" head tubes and 1 1/8th straight steerers reach adjust can add quite a bit of length and doesn't affect stack. It's less viable on tapered head tubes though.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
On DH bikes with straight 1.5" head tubes and 1 1/8th straight steerers reach adjust can add quite a bit of length and doesn't affect stack. It's less viable on tapered head tubes though.
Unfortunately all of my DH bikes have either been 1 1/8th or tapered head tubes. I wish the 1.5 standard had caught on more.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Unfortunately all of my DH bikes have either been 1 1/8th or tapered head tubes. I wish the 1.5 standard had caught on more.
when was the last time you bought a DH bike? mine is 2010 and is 1.5 headtube. DH is about the only place 1.5 straight head tubes still exist, despite i think only manitou ever making a 1.5 steerer. i mean, even specialized still uses a 1.5 straight headtube on the demo.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
didn't the totem come in a 1.5 straight? my uzzi had a 1.5 upper and lower - when i trashed the upper a few years back the hub (bike shop in the heart of pisgah) just laughed and said no way they had a replacement in stock.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
didn't the totem come in a 1.5 straight? my uzzi had a 1.5 upper and lower - when i trashed the upper a few years back the hub (bike shop in the heart of pisgah) just laughed and said no way they had a replacement in stock.
possibly. i will give the industry lizards credit for settling on tapered steerers. i mean, they got road and mountain to agree on something.