Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
LOL...orange fork stickers, yellow shock spring, white pedals, blue frame...are you even trying bro? 3/10

Seriously, that is a baller gravity blaster. Now if you could only get rid of the of extraneous grass popping up around your driveway :disgust1:
3/10 :rofl: thanks, I'll wear that with pride!

re: grass ... new lawn care people coming Thursday for clean up. I shall report back with moar refined conditions.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
goshdarnit @jackalope ... now I can't NOT notice the orange fork stickers. :rant: how am I even supposed to enjoy dh anymore???
Think of it as a way to acknowledge some the challenges our country has faced lately with your Trump fork, Anti asian shock, white privilege pedals and a police brutality blue frame. ;)

Myself, I'm a little more understated with this all-metal mound missile

Fork has a fresh rebuild, new Tenet pedals and managed to get it to stop squeaking by greasing the coil spring interfaces. Last time I rode this I got tomahawked into terrafirma like a ragdoll, so I'm hoping for decidedly less abrupt stops this Friday :headbang:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Think of it as a way to acknowledge some the challenges our country has faced lately with your Trump fork, Anti asian shock, white privilege pedals and a police brutality blue frame. ;)

Myself, I'm a little more understated with this all-metal mound missile

Fork has a fresh rebuild, new Tenet pedals and managed to get it to stop squeaking by greasing the coil spring interfaces. Last time I rode this I got tomahawked into terrafirma like a ragdoll, so I'm hoping for decidedly less abrupt stops this Friday :headbang:
Did you get the Tenet pedals before you ordered them?

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Same bike as the last couple seasons. Sent the rear shock to Steve at Vorsprung and initial impressions are that it is massively improved over the stock unit. Sent the unrideable flex-boxxer off for service and dropped a raceonlysprings progressive spring in there--also feels like a real improvement. The bike was a magnificent rock gobbler before but I'm sure it'll be extra powerful now. Headed to the bike park tomorrow with @jackalope to see who can overheat their brakes first during our initial I've-not-ridden-a-DH-bike-in-6-months runs. Can't wait!

IMG_0641.jpeg

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
Same bike as the last couple seasons. Sent the rear shock to Steve at Vorsprung and initial impressions are that it is massively improved over the stock unit. Sent the unrideable flex-boxxer off for service and dropped a raceonlysprings progressive spring in there--also feels like a real improvement. The bike was a magnificent rock gobbler before but I'm sure it'll be extra powerful now. Headed to the bike park tomorrow with @jackalope to see who can overheat their brakes first during our initial I've-not-ridden-a-DH-bike-in-6-months runs. Can't wait!

View attachment 160637
My new auto brake engagement technology will help me be the ultimate drag queen tomorrow!

My goal is to single-handedly displace 3 metric tons of precious new dirt and create waist deep brake bump holes.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
My new auto brake engagement technology will help me be the ultimate drag queen tomorrow!

My goal is to single-handedly displace 3 metric tons of precious new dirt and create waist deep brake bump holes.
How do you flush now?
I was wondering what riding scenario with @SuboptimusPrime required @jackalope to have his beginners set of anal beads with him??

Second thoughts, don't answer that.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
View attachment 160583

Ohlins shock
Cushcore F/R
Ohlins shock: tres excellent, 10/10 will bang as often as possible.

Cushcore: the rear wasn't holding air (because I may have forgotten to add sealant, we'll never know) but I did at least one rocky-ass shuttle lap at speed with 10 PSI in the rear and the wheel/tire are fine, and I could corner well enough. They work as advertised.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Ohlins shock: tres excellent, 10/10 will bang as often as possible.

Cushcore: the rear wasn't holding air (because I may have forgotten to add sealant, we'll never know) but I did at least one rocky-ass shuttle lap at speed with 10 PSI in the rear and the wheel/tire are fine, and I could corner well enough. They work as advertised.
Nice! If you're having issues with holding air and sealant does not solve it check your rim tape. I just went deep down that rabbit hole troubleshooting mine and turns out its pretty easy to ding the tape while horsing a CC and tire on there (even doing it the right way). Double wrap of tape and being careful solved my problems. Also really really like smashing shit with CC on the DH bike. Worth the headaches IMO.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Nice! If you're having issues with holding air and sealant does not solve it check your rim tape. I just went deep down that rabbit hole troubleshooting mine and turns out its pretty easy to ding the tape while horsing a CC and tire on there (even doing it the right way). Double wrap of tape and being careful solved my problems. Also really really like smashing shit with CC on the DH bike. Worth the headaches IMO.
Pro Tip. thanks!

I did notice some weeping around my rim's spoke holes, I probably fudged it up like you said.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Pro Tip. thanks!

I did notice some weeping around my rim's spoke holes, I probably fudged it up like you said.
I've nicked the DTSwiss tape before when installing an awkward DH tyre - if it's DTSwiss tape you've got in them.

You'll have to take the tyre off and pool noodle out and retape it :D

New limo mullet bike is 38.5 freedum units using the completely accurate bathroom scale + me method.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I've nicked the DTSwiss tape before when installing an awkward DH tyre - if it's DTSwiss tape you've got in them.

You'll have to take the tyre off and pool noodle out and retape it :D

New limo mullet bike is 38.5 freedum units using the completely accurate bathroom scale + me method.
it is DT tape, which come to think of it I never cared for.
I think @rideit has some gorilla tape for me.

38.5 pounds and 7 feet long!

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Nothing really new for the DH sled, besides a new G5 for the rear that I’ll hopefully have time to put on tonight. Hosed off the crusty dirt from last fall and good to go tomorrow for the first lift day at Thunder.
3ABD160B-03C9-4235-901D-9AAE0BFA441B.jpeg

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
If I had a TIG welder I might have done that during my mechanics rage volcano yesterday.
Someone should make very tiny buttplugs for the rim holes. That way, if there is a picometer sized hole in the tape, it would still hopefully let the white jizz seal up around the buttplug. Even if the idea doesn't work, I should snip off the erasers from the 10,000 pencils my kiddo has scattered around the house and sell them as "Buttplugs for your rim"...if CC can sell pipe insulation for $150, surely I could make tens of dollars.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Someone should make very tiny buttplugs for the rim holes. That way, if there is a picometer sized hole in the tape, it would still hopefully let the white jizz seal up around the buttplug. Even if the idea doesn't work, I should snip off the erasers from the 10,000 pencils my kiddo has scattered around the house and sell them as "Buttplugs for your rim"...if CC can sell pipe insulation for $150, surely I could make tens of dollars.
Fun fact: Specialized includes those with their high end tubeless wheels. If I was you, I would refrain from further publicizing my ideas unless I had some very powerful lawyer friends.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I don't think I can be saved now.

That reminds me, @Nick I need to give you back your loam lever. I stupidly thought their MMX version would allow me to use the SRAM MMX mounts to better alter the position versus the standard clamp - instead it's the exact same lever with a different clamp which puts it in pretty much the same place.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
That reminds me, @Nick I need to give you back your loam lever. I stupidly thought their MMX version would allow me to use the SRAM MMX mounts to better alter the position versus the standard clamp - instead it's the exact same lever with a different clamp which puts it in pretty much the same place.
This one came with the full clamp but I will mount it on a Hope brake lever.