Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Finally got my bike park project bike done and a shake down ride weekend at Snowshoe this weekend. Felt amazing to be back on a big bike and really digging the mullet setup on this.

Special shout out to @dhjohnr for donating the hub for the build, 20mm non boost aren't all that easy to find these days.

- Evil Undead
- 276/26" Mullet
- Singlespeed

Last edited:

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
I just did the front wheelView attachment 160940
My Large mondraker is 35.xx lbs with a coil
It's light enough for me.
I like light wheels... these aren't all that light.
These rims weigh in at 622g which is a bit heavy
Still lighter than the ol mavic 823s were. I've got aerolight spokes up front and aerocomps in the back
Nice bike, pretty rare here on the eastcoast. I remember when that bike went 1-2-3 on the podium at world champs in 2016, at Val Di sole nonetheless, talk about "streetcred"
I have wanted to try one ever since

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Nice bike, pretty rare here on the eastcoast. I remember when that bike went 1-2-3 on the podium at world champs in 2016, at Val Di sole nonetheless, talk about "streetcred"
I have wanted to try one ever since
Thanks,
It rides long and slack
the rear suspension is ok but its relatively chattery on small stuff. Tried an x2, rc4, an avalanche and a reworked avalanche (best so far). It has a ton of Antisquat for a DH bike, too much id argue.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Thanks,
It rides long and slack
the rear suspension is ok but its relatively chattery on small stuff. Tried an x2, rc4, an avalanche and a reworked avalanche (best so far). It has a ton of Antisquat for a DH bike, too much id argue.
I would agree. 300% is a lot for a starting point. Have you considered an eccentric bb to push the bb up so the start is a little lower?

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I would agree. 300% is a lot for a starting point. Have you considered an eccentric bb to push the bb up so the start is a little lower?
Hmm interesting.
I've not considered that.
Been planning on lowering the bb 5-7mm by shortening the shock next time I'm in the mood to take it apart.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I've got a 36t on it
A 38 seems a bit much
Threaded, I've currently got a 30mm spindle in there.
Agreed that 38t might be too much but it should be the cheapest way to check if less AS will give you a smoother ride. Eccentric BB are not cheap... going from 36t to 38t will move the chain upp by 4mm.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Agreed that 38t might be too much but it should be the cheapest way to check if less AS will give you a smoother ride. Eccentric BB are not cheap... going from 36t to 38t will move the chain upp by 4mm.
Good point. Less POE on the hub will also give it more degrees of freedom before it engages the chain.

It‘s a steep line so I think you only need to chill out the AS up until sag, more or less. After that it‘s decent.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Chain line?
Possibly if your chatting at me...
It pedals weird on the 42th ...can't explain bit it almost seems like the bike reacts to the 36 better ..I'll check chaimlime see if it's pulling diagonal and if so see if I can drop crank closer to BB...I think there's a spacer there I'll have to look..could also be picking up some rsisitance from mrp in and or out on pulley...

Hadn't thought of that since it works great in every year except that....I knew it was kicked but I'll verify now...good call...if nothing else smart to split difference more if I can.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Elixir front brake from 2009 is finally off the bike. Have gotten so used to it, but the pads were near done on them. Went to grab a handful of brake this week and blew a corner because of it. Now running xt front and back. Nice to know what brakes feel like again.

A9DFBC5A-3C4C-492C-B2AA-FC951A9DAC83.jpeg

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Elixir front brake from 2009 is finally off the bike. Have gotten so used to it, but the pads were near done on them. Went to grab a handful of brake this week and blew a corner because of it. Now running xt front and back. Nice to know what brakes feel like again.

View attachment 161222
Wife's avid juicy ultimate started seizing on master cylinder....was gonna rebuild but cheaper to get a good used set.. same time frame on hers...but they bit and I had to pry caliper off rotor lol

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Wife's avid juicy ultimate started seizing on master cylinder....was gonna rebuild but cheaper to get a good used set.. same time frame on hers...but they bit and I had to pry caliper off rotor lol
Yeah, I had a spare set that sat for 6 years, brand new, but as soon as I mounted them up, it was clear they were done. Pitched them and moved on.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
My bike is almost three and a half years old and I have spent zero dollars on it in a year or so, it sat with the tires flat for so long that they started to get little cracks where they folded.
I dusted it off last week and enjoyed my rides so I'm going to mullet the thing, I have a Mezzer, Hadley hub, CX-Ray spokes and a 481 rim on their way.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
What's the old pre-boost fork hub "standard" (but after 20mm)? 100x15? I think I'm ready to move up from my Pike. It's getting a little long in the tooth, and on proper rough trails it's just not keeping up. Either a Lyric or 36 I suppose. Whatever the used market offers up...

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
What's the old pre-boost fork hub "standard" (but after 20mm)? 100x15? I think I'm ready to move up from my Pike. It's getting a little long in the tooth, and on proper rough trails it's just not keeping up. Either a Lyric or 36 I suppose. Whatever the used market offers up...
Yep, 100x15. If that's your current front hub spec there are a number of ways to "boostify" it.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
What length/wheel size is it?
I think my 27.5/150mm Pike is 2014 vintage, I just added a Charger 2.1 damper and it's feeling great.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Yep, 100x15. If that's your current front hub spec there are a number of ways to "boostify" it.
yeah, it's a King. It started as a 20mm, now 15x100, and I think there are kits for 15x110. silly industry.
What length/wheel size is it?
I think my 27.5/150mm Pike is 2014 vintage, I just added a Charger 2.1 damper and it's feeling great.
It's a 2016. It creaks and the stanchions are getting pretty polished. I dropped a 2.1 damper in last year too. The damper is fine I guess, I think I'm mostly looking for a more stout chassis. I'm a heavy boy at 220, and prefer to charge through the rough stuff at speed. after installing an insert in my rear wheel, I've reverted back to "lean in, point and shoot" mode, and I'm finding the fork isn't quite keeping up anymore...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
So I parked my bike for a week and went to ride it.. apparently it's outdated now my 29'r wheels are hard to find and it's now 36" and boost is gone it's now turbo...wtf......and saddles, well those like skinsuits are gone they just sit on the post now...apparently this new generation wants to feel connected to the bike and feel loved at the same time...
Lol

Man I keep seeing new stuff and realized how much has really changed...all joking aside there is definitely some stuff that I can see...boost, bigger wheels, angles and reasons behind it as this sport progresses...

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
If only I could get the front brake properly bled. First time felt good in garage but 10 minutes into first ride, lever was pulling to grip. Bike loves changing direction and suspension feels deep and supporty, just can't yet ride it in anger without functional front brake.
20210618_201817.jpg
20210618_201013.jpg

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
If only I could get the front brake properly bled. First time felt good in garage but 10 minutes into first ride, lever was pulling to grip. Bike loves changing direction and suspension feels deep and supporty, just can't yet ride it in anger without functional front brake.View attachment 161501View attachment 161500
Snazzy looking Canfield ya got there, although I’m still surprised it’s not an e-bike with the name “Lithium”. Will be keen to hear what you think of the Hazzard.