Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Considering your size and style you may want to consider an ape grade stem like a Chromag.
I am an ape and I have a Profile helm on top of Intend's Stiffmaster or whatever it is called, it's a stupidly stout front end.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Light and reliable stems that are thoroughly tested are Syntace and Newmen. I lately buy nothing else.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I had the first ride with the Mezzer yesterday and I fucking love it.

I went from a 150mm air sprung Z1 650b to a 29er Mezzer at 130mm with a 650b wheel and the difference in performance is mental. With 20 mm less travel the Mezzer is both more supple and more supportive and it was really easy to get feeling good.
I hated the Z1 from the minute I jumped on the bike, how it got good reviews I will never know.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Well the renthal apex didn't twist bars stem is still straight...took it out and did a ride this morning nailed all rocks I could find to bump jump rocks and pushed ruts in and out...

Fox 36 flawless...the grip 2 damper is pretty bad ass I'm running 90psi on fork and aside of some small adjustment it held line really well...

I did push forward on bars to see if I'd get slip stem when hitting and landing (figure it's safer to have me do it knowing then out of nowhere)...I put a $h!t ton of power into pushing forward and down on bars when hitting stuff won't mimick a "Oh sh#t" moment completely but it gives me a good idea as to a limit...

Very happy with the way it rode and it will make a good ripper....gonna take it to the rock line tomorrow and dial it in....

The grip 2 is a really good damper LOVE the amount of adjustment on it....REALLY REALLY SURPRISED....

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Shakeout ride went decent all things considered. Not sure about the Trail Boss though. After 3 years on a DHR2 exclusively, I'm amazed how well I know that tire and can feel what it's doing. I can't tell what the Trail Boss is doing at all. Corners all weird, doesn't brake in the same way, and it doesn't behave in the same way over roots and on loose surfaces. This is to be expected I suppose, they are very different tires. But it rolls much quicker. I can certainly feel it accelerating out of a pump, and off the backside of a tranny....

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Added a poo brown seat, still waiting for spokes for the bigger new front wheel, lucky it is an ugly bike as a red hub and silver spokes would have looked a bit off, stupid Covid!
With the new wheel it should be 63deg HA static with 130mm travel.
20210706_160146.jpg

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Despite not being a mullet ( :panic: ) and rolling on Woo approved micro-wheels, this thing still absolutely slays. Also, front and rear inserts are deluxe

You missed the fact that it's single pivot, therefore unridable. Not knolly-approved.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
To be clear, I wasn't riding it, just aggressively shoulder carrying the bike down a hill. Its really the only way a "bike" like that can be managed. The good news the brakes weren't an issue at any point.
Ok that's a different story then!!! Phew I thought you were trying to reinvent the wheel and actually ride it down a hill....
You have to be clear on this kind of information rumors might get started!

Brakes....always good to have issue free...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
To be clear, I wasn't riding it, just aggressively shoulder carrying the bike down a hill. Its really the only way a "bike" like that can be managed. The good news the brakes weren't an issue at any point.
Sounds like a good reason to run a larger rear rotor.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Sounds like a good reason to run a larger rear rotor.
That's never the wrong answer, but I think if I spray paint my calipers red that should easily add the additional stopping power I need. I may also end up running a normal pad in one side and cut about 1/3 of the pad off of the other side to get the mullet benefit for braking too (i.e. modulation *and* power)

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
That's never the wrong answer, but I think if I spray paint my calipers red that should easily add the additional stopping power I need. I may also end up running a normal pad in one side and cut about 1/3 of the pad off of the other side to get the mullet benefit for braking too (i.e. modulation *and* power)
I have a brembro sticker you can have...it'll get you at least 1 foot more per mph and allow you to drift like Ken block...make bubba Stewart and gwinn look like amateurs....actually you have to cut opposite half off each pad...it has to do with mullet science and clamping forces they are different than rotational....

The red paint , I heard rumors but haven't tried that yet...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The funny thing is that a large number of OEM brakes already ARE brembos, they just aren't brembo mono-block caliper brakes.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Use gorilla tape residue on one side instead of a pad. Power and will last forever.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Just waiting for some fresh wheels with I9 1/1 hubs and WeAre1 30mm wide rims to show up. Then then fun begins...
EXO+ was the best I could find in town, tires be scarce these days. Never run the Minnaar, but looks pretty mean.
Ready to give those CO rocks a whooping. :rockout:

0707211210_HDR.jpg

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Be careful with those EXO+ tires in the rawks, even with an insert. I've found that the high thread-count casing is still susceptible to punctures and slashes from sharp rocks. I recommend riding with Stan's Darts. Still love the combo though.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Be careful with those EXO+ tires in the rawks, even with an insert. I've found that the high thread-count casing is still susceptible to punctures and slashes from sharp rocks. I recommend riding with Stan's Darts. Still love the combo though.
I destroyed a rear first ride back up at crestline...was what I could get before my tires came In...so HD tires from here on out..

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Just waiting for some fresh wheels with I9 1/1 hubs and WeAre1 30mm wide rims to show up. Then then fun begins...
EXO+ was the best I could find in town, tires be scarce these days. Never run the Minnaar, but looks pretty mean.
Ready to give those CO rocks a whooping. :rockout:

View attachment 161988
Spray some soapy water on the inserts. I got a bad wobble from those I never got with cushcore. They need to slip against the tire when seating the bead or it sticks and wobbles.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Long. Strong. Down to get the friction on.
smush.jpg

This took forever to get built, with some covid-related compromises and delays thrown in for good measure. I barely got it finished before splitting the city for a month in the dizzyingly high country of the Catskills. Been raining nonstop here so never even got a clean pic. It goes ok though.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Long. Strong. Down to get the friction on.
View attachment 162026

This took forever to get built, with some covid-related compromises and delays thrown in for good measure. I barely got it finished before splitting the city for a month in the dizzyingly high country of the Catskills. Been raining nonstop here so never even got a clean pic. It goes ok though.
About frigging time.

Now book a plane ticket.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Done.

170mm cranks, 10-45 cassette, 32t front ring, 180mm rotors, 35mm Renthal carbon bar w/ 30mm rise, 40mm RF Turbine R stem, 150mm 9point8 Fall Line R dropper, SQ labs saddle, Time special 8 pedals.

I was considering an 11 speed 11-42 setup, but the 10-45 cassette is pretty damn good. 10-51 was crap for jumps and shifting in the upper end. This thing shifts like a dream.

DH'ers XC bike for sure, flat out rips on the descents. No scale, but probably weighs 23-24lbs.

We've been getting thunderstorms/showers almost every evening, morning rides have been Epic™ !

0708211257e.jpg

0708211257.jpg

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
So a bit ago after (still more) heavy all mountain drinking, I caved and ordered a Gnarvana frame. Needing new bouncy bits and being really happy with the TTX22 air on the trail pistol, I went with more gold flavor here. Then I saw Yoann's (at that time) custom gold decals and begged @mtg to slap some on my bike if they went to production. Fast forward a few weeks and I've got a bike that is too good and good looking for my sorry ass. Looking forward to a ride when we dry out from the tropical shellacking we got this week. As always, big thanks to @mtg and the crew at GG for being generally outstanding to work with.

IMG_0766 (2).jpeg

IMG_0765 (1).jpeg

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Just installed an XTR 9100 lever, didn’t notice it wasn’t the 9120, I thought “how different could it be?”
well, it has a totally different lever feel, kinda like there is more modulation, which so far feels weird. (A little spongy, perhaps).
Also has a carbon lever, which is narrower. I might need to just get a 9120, but I‘ll do a ride or two first.