Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Just installed an XTR 9100 lever, didn’t notice it wasn’t the 9120, I thought “how different could it be?”
well, it has a totally different lever feel, kinda like there is more modulation, which so far feels weird. (A little spongy, perhaps).
Also has a carbon lever, which is narrower. I might need to just get a 9120, but I‘ll do a ride or two first.
sounds like someone needs to go AXS…

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
How long does a full battery last, and do you remove the der. to recharge? Or, what's involved with charging?
Battery clips off the component and then charges in a little cradle powered by micro USB. S and I both have SRAM wireless on our road bikes.

I've never tracked how long the charge lasts, but each component has a LED that shows current charge, green, orange - you should probably charge at the end of your ride, red - don't plan on a 24 hour race right now.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
How long does a full battery last, and do you remove the der. to recharge? Or, what's involved with charging?
lasts me weeks. The derailleur has a status light on it to allow you to check the charge level.

you pop the battery out to charge it. The setup comes with a charger. Takes about 30-45mins to charge a drained battery. I bought a spare for the hell of it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Just installed an XTR 9100 lever, didn’t notice it wasn’t the 9120, I thought “how different could it be?”
well, it has a totally different lever feel, kinda like there is more modulation, which so far feels weird. (A little spongy, perhaps).
Also has a carbon lever, which is narrower. I might need to just get a 9120, but I‘ll do a ride or two first.
Yeah, no servo-wave. Less absolute power too, but doesn't bite down nearly as aggressive. I don't find my XTR race brakes lack power for their purpose, but they aren't enduro brakes for sure. The carbon lever is nice for insulation.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
One day I will have enough self control that I can afford to buy a whole bike in one shot.
In ~20 years I have bought one complete bike, and it was used.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
lol same. last bike i bought complete was my gary fisher sugar in 2002
That was the last non pub bike my brother bought, it is all original and still waiting for its first service.
The Cane Creek shock still works too.

I bought an Intense Tazer HT which lasted a few months before it cracked, luckily bought it from a bike shop worker so I got warranty.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
View attachment 162105
bought from good ol blue wheel at its OG Elliewood Ave location after my Kaitai was stolen off my car in Richmond. Hit some sweet Big Levels loops on it and lots of Walnut Creek and Panorama Farms laps.

broke chainstay about a year later....

Nice. Scott Paisley from Blue Wheel is one of the few people I will ever trust to touch one of my bikes, awesome human being to boot.

When I was back in the 'ville earlier in the month I couldn't bring myself to ride any of the in town trails. I had the time so mountains please.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Did you get across the street to the Hurricane Mt trails? I hope you did. Great stuff over there.
I didn't, we had a very short timeline on our way up to Maine after riding Thunder and Highland for a few days. I know I missed tons of good stuff in the area, headed back up in early October.

Last edited:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
In other news my lady (who just started riding DH last September) basically cleaned all the tech she rode in the bike parks. Now it looks like we are buying a DH bike after she rode this rental v10 down ODB/ODC @highland (my favorite loop)

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Looks like it's hanging. could it be one of those hanging wicker garden chairs?
Correct! It is much less comfortable/practical than you’d think!

As far as fancy goes, yeah… certainly more bike than she needs. But what the hell. It came up and it was a solid deal for what it is. Plus, if I kill mine, I now have a pretty solid backup rig!

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Proper pedals acquired, and a slightly less soul shattering chainring.
C8C1B2A0-6405-48EF-837D-FB76D84599E0.jpeg

And some proper grease. That blue Park stuff just wasn’t cutting it.