Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Ok, so that’s a crappy approach, because you can’t use the cage for a regular size water bottle when you don’t need the bear spray. Two years ago I looked into the feasibility of having extra large bear spray bottle made that was 22-24 oz, or a ‘magnum’, if you will. (One that would fit perfectly in a composite bottle cage) Too expensive for where I was at, but I still like the idea.
the other issue is that ideally, you carry the spray on your hip in case you get separated from your bike.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
If I'm riding anywhere there's big bear I will make sure to keep my Glock on me...when we ride in northern Idaho I have it on me...
We do too much hiking and though hikes deep woods up there and other areas...I'm not a purist I don't wear skinny jeans, I'm not a hipster or millennial...so yeah bear gets shot if I get attacked...and I am fine with that...

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
oh, dear god, not the gun vs. bear spray thing.
dude, a Glock is just going to piss it off. Basically no chance of a positive outcome.
you stand a better chance of shooting yourself or a friend.
this has been proven repeatedly.
city-folk folly.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
oh, dear god, not the gun vs. bear spray thing.
dude, a Glock is just going to piss it off. Basically no chance of a positive outcome.
you stand a better chance of shooting yourself or a friend.
this has been proven repeatedly.
Yeah I'll do ok It's got a Rowland 460 conversion and I run hot rounds so it's pushing mid level 44 magnum...it's for backwoods...
There's no debate lol...

Not my first rodeo and not a ignorant gun owner, it's specifically backwoods...

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
You are correct, there is no debate. By the time you access it, quit shaking, and draw an accurate bead, the Grizzly has you in it’s fucking head, or you just shot yourself or a friend. This has been proven over and over. Grizzly can take a .44 to the skull and still charge and kill. Bear spray?
usually the conflict is over.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
You are correct, there is no debate. By the time you access it, quit shaking, and draw an accurate bead, the Grizzly has you in it’s fucking head, or you just shot yourself or a friend. This has been proven over and over. Grizzly can take a .44 to the skull and still charge and kill. Bear spray?
usually the conflict is over.
Exactly and the reason a grizzlies head defects is the cartlidge ontop and the angle of the bone..never shoot a bear in the head you aim for joints, legs and cripple points to slow it down. It can be one leg down and extremely effective killing machine still...
When we are backwoods it's on harness...
I've seen bear spray fail as well...the shotgun with slugs did the job though

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Very, VERY few people can draw a bead while panicking, especially with a shotgun. But yeah, some people have gotten away with it. And more people have shot their friends.
However, why the hell should a bear suffer for just being a bear…I mean, you are violating it’s territory. Bear spray *usually* makes them go away unharmed. Obviously this is more well known here, where we have a 1000 grizzlies and shit. We ride in Grizzly country every single ride, basically.

I have a better solution, you should just challenge the bear to a Cross Fit contest, winner takes all. :busted:

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Ok, so that’s a crappy approach, because you can’t use the cage for a regular size water bottle when you don’t need the bear spray. Two years ago I looked into the feasibility of having extra large bear spray bottle made that was 22-24 oz, or a ‘magnum’, if you will. (One that would fit perfectly in a composite bottle cage) Too expensive for where I was at, but I still like the idea.
the other issue is that ideally, you carry the spray on your hip in case you get separated from your bike.
Yeah, you can use a regular water bottle, fill it with foam, put your bear spray in it, it works fine.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Deer kill like ten times the number of people than bears do. Good old lizard brain predator fear.

Actually I damn near bear sprayed a juvenile mule deer that was trying to test it's new rack out on something.

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Deer kill like ten times the number of people than bears do. Good old lizard brain predator fear.

Actually I damn near bear sprayed a juvenile mule deer that was trying to test it's new rack out on something.
Moose...those are the ones I have issues with...they are all over up where we go and the Canadian grey wolves...

Love the video of that small deer boxing the old guy...never knew it was possible...lol

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Moose...those are the ones I have issues with...they are all over uo where we go and the Canadian grey wolves...

Love the video of that small deer boxing the old guy...never knew it was possible...lol
I saw a wolf once on a trail above the city in winter. I thought "wow, that's a big wolf-looking dog!". "Where is the owner?"

"oh shit, that's a wolf".

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Moose...those are the ones I have issues with...they are all over uo where we go and the Canadian grey wolves...

Definitely agree on the Moose, unpredictable fuckers. I have seen over 30 of them this year. But bear spray works on them, too.
But wolves?
they have killed/hurt like, less than 200 people in 150 years of recorded North American history. The hair stands up on the back of my neck when I see or hear them, but I have never actually been afraid of them.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Wolves are more cool to see in the wild than anything. I could give a F if I ever see another goddamn moose. The tourists swoon over them, but those fuckers are angry and ill tempered. They just stand in the middle of the trail and if you get too close, you get charged and at worst, trampled to death.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
We don't have much in Australia that wants to push you off a bike and kill you, it's mostly just snakes and spiders and they are usually fine.
Pretty happy these aren't in my state-
1628318176201.png

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
We had a moose charge and try to ram my 4runner years ago by mt idaho....the SOB'S are mad at life and everyone is a outlet for the anger lol...
I'll stay in my car and back from them...

Wolves they had a hunter who uses dogs treed in grangeville...wolves tore his dogs to pieces didn't eat em killed them for sport and he was stuck I'm a tree while they waited and circled around..

Buddy who just passed away on kamiah same thing he was riding and they were tracking him on the trail...he had a vantage point to cabin and sure enough a pack was close behind him...

These wolves aren't native they are the Canadian grey's they introduced several years back...they became Apex predator and started wiping out elk and cattle....they are a bigger northern wolf.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
We don't have much in Australia that wants to push you off a bike and kill you, it's mostly just snakes and spiders and they are usually fine.
Pretty happy these aren't in my state-
View attachment 163134
It's easy to see why he's angry lol...yeah I wouldn't want to be head butted by that thing...

There's a recent video of a bear chasing a biker lol..

You guys have fresh water Crocs I've seen em by Brisbane river and a ton of stuff that can do damage....

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I saw a wolf once on a trail above the city in winter. I thought "wow, that's a big wolf-looking dog!". "Where is the owner?"

"oh shit, that's a wolf".
Lol I did that with mt lion of Genesee here in San Diego...was near wife's hospital with kids we were goofing off before heading over..saw a big cat thought it was a bob cat so I took phone camera followed it into the bush.

Looked around and couldn't find it, was right behind it too...went back to car and realized it had a tail...asked the kids if it had a stub or a full tail...they said it was a full tail...lmao

Austen my oldest and I were night diving off harbor 11 pm. I had my Stryker lights and was spearfishing in cove...tide was going out I was shooting Surf perch for practice and cutting them off with the knife...Austen and I got out and we're sitting on jetty pulling off gear and in the light saw a massive dorsal fin, hit it with the lights and it was a damn good size great white...we had gotten out 3 or 4 minutes earlier..
Basically I was chumming by cutting fish off and tide going out...
We still dive there and spearfish just acut and gut on rocks or sack em and take em in...theres halibut, some lobster they are a bit of a pain in the ass and we have some big eels..great diving doesn't bother us

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
It's easy to see why he's angry lol...yeah I wouldn't want to be head butted by that thing...

There's a recent video of a bear chasing a biker lol..

You guys have fresh water Crocs I've seen em by Brisbane river and a ton of stuff that can do damage....
Yeah nothing down my way, biggest danger would probably be a bite from a Funnelweb Spider whilst digging. Big Goannas scare the crap out of you if they are sunning themselves in the middle of the trail, have seen a couple hit berms pretty well at speed hahaha!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Yeah nothing down my way, biggest danger would probably be a bite from a Funnelweb Spider whilst digging. Big Goannas scare the crap out of you if they are sunning themselves in the middle of the trail, have seen a couple hit berms pretty well at speed hahaha!
Did they roost!!! Lol yeah big ass lizards freak me out...spiders are what I don't like the funnel web is a NASTY SOB...that damn mamba you guys have is a no go as well..getting into houses at night...screw that

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Aussie critters are jerks. 99% of the stuff just bites or stings and you wander off and die. They don't even eat you afterwards.

It's the feet that they get you with. Kinda like a Jurassic Park raptor

1628372221658.png

Freshies just nibble occasionally. They're extremely rare in Brisbane, we have too many bull sharks here for them.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Pulled a bunch of old DH stuff out of the drawers and got the 2020 Demo up to snuff!
XO shifter/derailleur over the crappy NX, Shimano 11-28 roadie cassette, Saint brakes, Renthal bar, and a Praxis crank.

Also got a 2021 rear end mounted with the flip chip for adjusting of zee geometries. Once I build a 27.5 wheel we'll have some party in the back options to play with. But I will say it rides pretty damn good 29/29 so far.

Bummed that just as I finished it, all the smoke from Ca rolled in and made for shitty riding condtions in Colorado. :wacko:

0807211514a.jpg

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
spot the difference...
before
1628384365328.png

after
1628384403171.png

If I can get the groceries and last minute shopping done before 4 tomorrow, I should be able to test it out before going camping for a week...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Aussie critters are jerks. 99% of the stuff just bites or stings and you wander off and die. They don't even eat you afterwards.

It's the feet that they get you with. Kinda like a Jurassic Park raptor

View attachment 163151

Freshies just nibble occasionally. They're extremely rare in Brisbane, we have too many bull sharks here for them.
That's the one I forgot...but shark..we have those on east coast...angry sharks..

Yeah I have no drive to be disemboweled by those talons....that's scary as hell

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved

"The cassowary involved remains secured on private property at this time."

Doesn't sound very tidy
Yeah sounds kinda messy as hell...I'd guess he got gutted.....
I'd have bit the legs , granted still get ass kicked but go out biting!! "Paging Woo" BBQ sauce to the BC getting his ass handed to him isle!!!

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
^^ sick. Hoping Banshee has plans for a MX frame, preferably a Spitfire. Enjoy.
Get the 26" dropouts and run a 27.5" front end?

The bucket of bike parts still needs a headset and dropper post. The fork is going back to Cane Creek for a service. It'll be a couple weeks before it all comes together. Should be a good time!

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I’ve loved two Spitfires over the years—would definitely ride a Banshee again. Please report back on yours as I’ve not heard much about the new frames!

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
How come you ditched the Rid Egg?
Imma whore what can I say.

I loved the way it rode, hated the way it was put together. The headtube/headset interface bugged me as did the downtube cable routing. I couldn't get over it. Honestly when I was ordering the frame and I found out about the head tube stuff I almost cancelled the order. Fuggin proprietary weirdness is not what I want in my head tube.

Beyond that the cheesy middle america super stoked branding is a bit thick for me. Are they serious? Do they get the joke? I said fug it.

I can get 26" dropouts for the Banshee! The XL raw dog was in stock on Dirtmerchant. Take my money!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Very, VERY few people can draw a bead while panicking, especially with a shotgun. But yeah, some people have gotten away with it. And more people have shot their friends.
However, why the hell should a bear suffer for just being a bear…I mean, you are violating it’s territory. Bear spray *usually* makes them go away unharmed. Obviously this is more well known here, where we have a 1000 grizzlies and shit. We ride in Grizzly country every single ride, basically.

I have a better solution, you should just challenge the bear to a Cross Fit contest, winner takes all. :busted:
how about a gun that also sprays bear spray?