Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Related but maybe unrelated, but TRP DHr-Evos continue to impress (also using their fat rotors) on both my trail and DH bikes. I'll say again if there are no long-term issues like wandering bite or corroding pistons, these are the winnars.
Good info about your EVOs, and they will be the next brakes I get for my DH bike if/when my current Saint 810s finally spit the bit. My 810 Saints have been uber reliable (i.e. never displayed the infamous/deadly "to the bar surprise") and have plenty of power for most of my needs, but their bite point has always been less than ideal - especially when the pads are worn down a bit. No amount of fiddling with the little bite point screw seemed to really help. I've probably tossed a dozen or more medium worn pads because the bite point was so delayed that I (stupidly) thought the pads was glazed or otherwise contaminated. Now with a Team KFC phat rotor, it bites like Mike Tyson when you have BBQ sauce on your ear. I'm guessing it will improve overall braking performance as well since its moar stiffened and maybe can handle heat a little better.

Will probably start enfattening my other rotors as well, because if there's one thing I excel at, its aggressive, mid-corner braking.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Will probably start enfattening my other rotors as well, because if there's one thing I excel at, its aggressive, mid-corner braking.

I prefer to do that on off camber roots.

I feel as though it is my responsibility to find the mysterious frictionless inclined plane so often touted in physics classes.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I prefer to do that on off camber roots.

I feel as though it is my responsibility to find the mysterious frictionless inclined plane so often touted in physics classes.
Remember when people rode coil shocks and you could actually ride on that stuff without slipping?

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
"That was a good green trail warmup lap... Let's grab a drink"
Which conveniently brings me to "Million Dollar Idea No. 471" :

We all hate Strava to varying degrees, amirite? Maybe its when it magically stops recording, allows inconsiderate fuck blisters to bring attention to a previously hidden bandit trail and/or encourages said inconsiderate fuck blisters to Strava charge through crowded public trails in hopes of bagging a green trail KOM...But you know what would make it better? A breathalyzer app that would integrate into Strava and illustrate who really has a World Cup podium liver *and* can still ride navigate a bike around trees at a fair pace. I mean shit, I could smash the hell out of the typical pansy ass WC track or those vaguely steep BC rock slabs when I'm dead sober...Who couldn't? But lets see what happens when you're 8 beers deep...that will separate the wheat from the assless chaffs...All segment results would be prorated based on your BAC.

The Booza™ app is not the cycling app we have, but it is the cycling app we deserve.

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I think it exists at Gore and Whiteface fairly frequently.
definitely existed on the basin side of snowshoe after a morning of rain last weekend. there were a few times when we all stopped, looked at 4 different line choices and agreed that all of them were awful and fully of certain death. even with 2/3 bikes sporting magical springy boingers.
We could start our own series of YouTube videos to offer a modicum of contrast to the likes of Yoann and Remy. Maybe something like "Into The Bar"
i heartily endorse this idea. you can use my failed deck huck video still shot for the intro sequence.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
definitely existed on the basin side of snowshoe after a morning of rain last weekend. there were a few times when we all stopped, looked at 4 different line choices and agreed that all of them were awful and fully of certain death. even with 2/3 bikes sporting magical springy boingers.

i heartily endorse this idea. you can use my failed deck huck video still shot for the intro sequence.

Pink bike already has Friday Fails.

What the world needs is advice on how to successfully execute poor form at high speed.

Stiff legged flat landings
How to case like a pro
Front end drifts
How to stare at a tree and not hit it

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
From UT, a few in stock there, lead time non-existent.

$ARMAnd a leg.
Be very interested to know how you compare it to Avy.
I was seriously looking at them way back before their recent popularity.
This was also a version or so ago. Was not a lot of info that I could find so I chickened out and stayed with Cane-Crack then ended up at Craig's place.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I also have a 500 progressive cane creek 55mm so that would almost work!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Well, so far, very underwhelming and very expensive.

Pretty damn harsh in compression, doesn't like small hard ruts/bumps in the trail. Sharper stuff sticking up takes me kind of slamming the seat down with my mass at the same time to absorb, doesn't have that supple coil "cling to the trail" feel on off-camber stuff, etc. Doesn't really follow the trail well. Seems very overdamped. Have tried a lot of settings, initially had about half HSC, so backed that off. Have tried various combos of LSC. Needs a significant amount of LSR to work properly, you have to set it a lot slower than you think, otherwise I was getting bumped off jumps/rear end coming up. I rolled my ankle a couple days ago and my foot is swollen so I can't go 10/10ths, but I did get it on some pretty chunky stuff the last two rides. It's not blowing my mind. But it is expensive, so there is that.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

Pretty damn harsh in compression, doesn't like small hard ruts/bumps in the trail. Sharper stuff sticking up takes me kind of slamming the seat down with my mass at the same time to absorb, doesn't have that supple coil "cling to the trail" feel on off-camber stuff, etc. Doesn't really follow the trail well. Seems very overdamped. Have tried a lot of settings, initially had about half HSC, so backed that off. Have tried various combos of LSC. Needs a significant amount of LSR to work properly, you have to set it a lot slower than you think, otherwise I was getting bumped off jumps/rear end coming up. I rolled my ankle a couple days ago and my foot is swollen so I can't go 10/10ths, but I did get it on some pretty chunky stuff the last two rides. It's not blowing my mind. But it is expensive, so there is that.
On the rid egg?

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020

That sounds pretty much the opposite of my experience with my Storia on my Megatrail. Sounds like you need to drop a spring rate. I'm running my rebound 8/9 from closed, LSC 8/14, and HSC 7/16. The damper is very good. I know 4 other guys locally who also have Storias, and all are running the compression settings near the middle, and the rebound at least 2 clicks more open from what EXT recommends.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That sounds pretty much the opposite of my experience with my Storia on my Megatrail. Sounds like you need to drop a spring rate. I'm running my rebound 8/9 from closed, LSC 8/14, and HSC 7/16. The damper is very good. I know 4 other guys locally who also have Storias, and all are running the compression settings near the middle, and the rebound at least 2 clicks more open from what EXT recommends.
I'm at 375. They gave me a 375 and a 400 spring.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It's so the bottom out bumper doesn't get chewed up on the face of the shock body, which has a bunch of machined relief in it.

I glued it to the foam bumper on mine.
I'll try some double-sided tape, that will probably work excellent.

So how do you get the spring off, I saw that c-clip, but it looks like you have to take the rebound adjuster off too?

I'll try to see if Alyeska Bike Park has any 350 springs tomorrow, they have a plethora of coil springs there.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'll try some double-sided tape, that will probably work excellent.

So how do you get the spring off, I saw that c-clip, but it looks like you have to take the rebound adjuster off too?

I'll try to see if Alyeska Bike Park has any 350 springs tomorrow, they have a plethora of coil springs there.
You should be able to get the spring off if you wind the rebound adjuster all the way in. Or you can remove it.

You'll need a RS spring if you're looking from the mainstream brands. They use a bigger ID than Fox et. al.