Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
...I'll try to see if Alyeska Bike Park has any 350 springs tomorrow, they have a plethora of coil springs there.
Agree with @Andeh to try s lighter spring if you're having to run less compression and moar rebound. I remember commenting how big (eye to eye) the shock was relative to the wheel travel when a local guy got a Rev'ed Smash a while ago. I think GG's Reved frame has numerically lower overall leverage rate than most other bikes, which IMO is a good thing.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
You should be able to get the spring off if you wind the rebound adjuster all the way in. Or you can remove it.

You'll need a RS spring if you're looking from the mainstream brands. They use a bigger ID than Fox et. al.
Yeah, I know about the spring ID. I have some Cane Creeks, but they are definitely not light enough. Bike Park has tons of springs though, should be able to find one.

No way to get that ring off without taking the rebound adjuster off, but that wasn't too bad.

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
Related but maybe unrelated, but TRP DHr-Evos continue to impress (also using their fat rotors) on both my trail and DH bikes. I'll say again if there are no long-term issues like wandering bite or corroding pistons, these are the winnars.
I'm still using a pair of OG Quadiems, which I bought from PB classified back in Oct 2018. They allegedly had 400 miles on, I've since put over 3500 miles on (the only reason I still use Strava, to keep track of components lifespan). The levers are worn out and sloppy and the rear brake fluid shows a tinge of grey. but still no wandering bite point.

I think you'll be pleased with your brakes in the long run. I would suggest cleaning the lever/piston pushrod pivots regularly and lube them with dry graphite (that's where mine is worn out, and replacement lever blades have been out of stock forever on TRP website).
brake.jpg

My buddy's buddy got himself a pair of gold DH-R Evos recently and he let me putz around on his bike a bit. With new organic pads, they were definitely more powerful than my Quadiems with half&half pads (metallic & semi-metallic). I don't know how they achieved less lever throw with smaller MC piston diameter, but the engagement felt more positive and precise.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
think GG's Reved frame has numerically lower overall leverage rate than most other bikes, which IMO is a good thing.
I think on paper it sounds good, but it means that most aftermarket stuff won't work due to being over-damped and most companies flood the market with their medium tune stuff, it gets really hard to find low tunes. This isn't as ridiculously low as Foes thankfully, but IMO too low creates more problems than it solves. Spring lb intervals for instance have to get smaller, whereas before you'd be ok with 50 or 25lb increments, you gotta go down to like 15lb increments to have the same % difference between the different numbers, except spring tolerance is generally not that good, so there's more chance of getting a screwed up spring rate, even if you think you have the right one. Not a big fan of low leverage...obviously not a fan of high leverage like RM6/7/9, haha.

I also question why they gave me a 375 and 400, because if it was say a 350 and a 375...even if the 350 was "too low", I could always run it in the lower leverage position of 155mm of travel, so having a 400 makes little sense. If it doesn't work in the 165mm setting, it damn sure isn't going to work in the 155 AND the shock has the adjustable bottom-out.

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
I think on paper it sounds good, but it means that most aftermarket stuff won't work due to being over-damped and most companies flood the market with their medium tune stuff, it gets really hard to find low tunes. This isn't as ridiculously low as Foes thankfully, but IMO too low creates more problems than it solves. Spring lb intervals for instance have to get smaller, whereas before you'd be ok with 50 or 25lb increments, you gotta go down to like 15lb increments to have the same % difference between the different numbers, except spring tolerance is generally not that good, so there's more chance of getting a screwed up spring rate, even if you think you have the right one. Not a big fan of low leverage...obviously not a fan of high leverage like RM6/7/9, haha.
Good point. Hard to argue with that.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
JM - sucks balls to put out so much cash only to be left underwhelmed. Even if it turns out to just be the spring it still sucks not to have a good experience after getting a shiny new toy, that costs 2 arms and a leg. Hope the spring fixes it.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Can you open more than zero?
You either have too high spring rate. Or wrong tune. Mine has tons of traction everywhere. And enough damping to not overuse travel. It's really nice pretty comfortable at high speed. But not annoying when just peddling in flat. I'd send it back to be retuned.

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Can you install a 36 RC2 damper in the 38? Asking for a friend.
For Rc2 I'm going to say no my other fork measured same on top cap...bottom hole I didn't check on lowers.
I mic'd the outer shoulder on the cartridge top cap.
36 is 36.4mm
38 is 38.4mm
So they are definitely relative to diameter and not necked down on one...

On the Grip2!
From what it looks like it's similar to what Craig at avalanche does. 1 cartridge with different top caps that are swappable...so if you could get a new top cap they are identical underneath I pulled them apart just now.
The adjusters for either top and bottom swap.

But I didn't pull rc2 apart to see if they had similar mounting to a 38 top cap...if it did being they don't balance anywhere down the length of the tube and bottom has same diameter hole it may work...I can look at a 40 rc2 cart later the lower should be the same and under top cap should be the same

Last edited:

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I'll try some double-sided tape, that will probably work excellent.

So how do you get the spring off, I saw that c-clip, but it looks like you have to take the rebound adjuster off too?

I'll try to see if Alyeska Bike Park has any 350 springs tomorrow, they have a plethora of coil springs there.
Screw the rebound adjuster all the way in (clockwise). That will give you enough clearance.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I'm at 375. They gave me a 375 and a 400 spring.
Contact SS. They'll swap your 400 for a 350 if the 375 is too much for you. If that still doesn't work, they'll retune it for you for sure. I've found SS to be really responsive and helpful. I know one of their guys rides a Megatrail, so I'm surprised they messed up the tune for you.

I weigh 165 without gear, and am running a 375# in trail mode, 400# in gravity (Megatrail). 400 is definitely too firm in trail. These put me at around 30% seated sag (with a fork at 18%).

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Agreed, contact the Suspension Syndicate. They told me there was a 30 day window or something for swapping spring rates for free.

Did they tune the EXT for you/the bike? With the non-existent lead time it seems like maybe no?

Mine is the exact opposite of what you describe; super sensitive and plush, but supportive when it needs to be. Settings around the middle of adjustment. But I did have to wait almost 2 months for it.....

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Agreed, contact the Suspension Syndicate. They told me there was a 30 day window or something for swapping spring rates for free.

Did they tune the EXT for you/the bike? With the non-existent lead time it seems like maybe no?

Mine is the exact opposite of what you describe; super sensitive and plush, but supportive when it needs to be. Settings around the middle of adjustment. But I did have to wait almost 2 months for it.....
:stupid: and all the other guys reporting good traction and support where needed. Mine came from the factory with the specific tune for the Titan and it just works out of the box without much fiddling, one or two clicks of HSC and LSR from the default settings and it's been out of thought since then. Same with my buddy's on his Megatower, just works. Took way longer to find my preference on the RC4 fitted to my Reign.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, I know about the spring ID. I have some Cane Creeks, but they are definitely not light enough. Bike Park has tons of springs though, should be able to find one.

No way to get that ring off without taking the rebound adjuster off, but that wasn't too bad.
Found a RS 350 at the bike park, will try.

But I'm skeptical if it's the spring weight. Although the 400 on the Bomber RC was also too stiff, that coil DID have the supple-initial travel still that clung to the small bumps on the traill...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Found a RS 350 at the bike park, will try.

But I'm skeptical if it's the spring weight. Although the 400 on the Bomber RC was also too stiff, that coil DID have the supple-initial travel still that clung to the small bumps on the traill...
Yeah, pretty much more of the same. A little better, but not by much. For every situation where the rear wheel needs to move fast...it just doesn't, and it transfers that shock. It's like running an old RP3 or RP23 in the middle setting where each bump encountered tries to fling your ass up. Lowering the spring rate seems to help a bit, but it's obvious that it's still doing it, I don't have that "coil contour" feeling and it even seemed a bit worse in the 165 setting vs 155. It feels more like I'm trying to make up for a harsh shock by going low on the spring, rather than somehow the Bomber CR being better at the small bumps even with a 400lb spring.

And I'm really fucking pissed I can't get this bike set up. This has been going on for months and it keeps going on.

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Slapped new gravity casings on in super soft for front after 3rd puncture straight through tread....can't ride a lighter weight casing...
So minimum trail star or super gravity...

Was super easy to change and reseat...what a simple to do set up...

Procore saved my ass I rode the rocks and out on a flat tire didn't even know I flatted till part way through a rock pile as I exited had a different feel.
20210821_181209.jpg
20210821_181227.jpg

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Ok so hit San Clemente jump line today...aside of an almost otb off a jump then dialed fox 38 in..FLAWLESS...I love this fork and I love the 951 now...it is what I consider my perfect bike for drops, jumps, gaps, pedaling and rocks....

Did the smaller step downs, jump line, wall rides and booters....it was a total blast...once 38 was dialed in it tracked and rode amazing. The 2021 update with vvc has alot better mid stroke support...
20210822_163710.jpg
20210822_163649.jpg

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Ok so hit San Clemente jump line today...aside of an almost otb off a jump then dialed fox 38 in..FLAWLESS...I love this fork and I love the 951 now...it is what I consider my perfect bike for drops, jumps, gaps, pedaling and rocks....

Did the smaller step downs, jump line, wall rides and booters....it was a total blast...once 38 was dialed in it tracked and rode amazing. The 2021 update with vvc has alot better mid stroke support...View attachment 163838View attachment 163839
if they hadn't stopped making replacement dropouts/parts for my uzzi vp and they weren't impossible to find i might still be riding mine. it was a damn fine one bike to rule them all.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
if they hadn't stopped making replacement dropouts/parts for my uzzi vp and they weren't impossible to find i might still be riding mine. it was a damn fine one bike to rule them all.
Yeah it is dialed, lack of parts is a concern for sure.....which sucks...
...of all the bikes I've had since 2002 this is probably one of the funnest I've had...it has an area of riding style and terrain that fits my favorite discipline....took a bit to dial in and find the right set up but ...DAMN man I think it's spot on.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Ok, so how does this make sense?

When I was switching springs I had both the”375” and the “400” and when I felt one was lighter I assumed it was the 375. Checked it, nope.The 400 is also significantly shorter than the 375. Both are labeled as 65mm. So that got me more interested. Put them both on the scale. So the “heavier lb” one is both shorter and lighter than the “lighter lb” one?

CE439EAE-9B67-4502-831A-D137D82FA033.jpeg
23FBC279-8FF7-46C2-AA23-2FC08824E592.jpeg

B6109E72-B6E0-47D8-A9B6-959B3692447E.jpeg

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland

When I was switching springs I had both the”375” and the “400” and when I felt one was lighter I assumed it was the 375. Checked it, nope.The 400 is also significantly shorter than the 375. Both are labeled as 65mm. So that got me more interested. Put them both on the scale. So the “heavier lb” one is both shorter and lighter than the “lighter lb” one?

View attachment 163854View attachment 163856
View attachment 163855
Measure the thickness of the wire. Sounds like it is mislabeled

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Measure the thickness of the wire. Sounds like it is mislabeled
The "heavier" labeled spring isn't noticeably thicker, but the thickness varies quite a bit, so taking it at different points around the coil isn't really that helpful, I think I'd have to do like 1" increments around the coil and then make the average of it to really know. I did measure, but it only showed that the heavier coil isn't noticeably thicker...

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
The "heavier" labeled spring isn't noticeably thicker, but the thickness varies quite a bit, so taking it at different points around the coil isn't really that helpful, I think I'd have to do like 1" increments around the coil and then make the average of it to really know. I did measure, but it only showed that the heavier coil isn't noticeably thicker...
Maybe it is the same thickness wire but with less coils and that’s why it is both lighter and a heavier spring rate. The shock sounds like it’s got too much hsr and hsc for your uses. Are you going to reshim it yourself?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Maybe it is the same thickness wire but with less coils and that’s why it is both lighter and a heavier spring rate. The shock sounds like it’s got too much hsr and hsc for your uses. Are you going to reshim it yourself?
No way, I'm not going to take the chance of screwing up something this expensive that I just bought.

I'm waiting for Dougal's Fox IFP valve adapters I ordered like 3 weeks ago, his shipping is ultra-slow. When I get those, I can bleed my Bomber RC that I valved lighter, but in the interim I might have to run the EXT in WA/BC next week.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I sold my DH bike and didn't buy a new one. I kinda feel naked without one, but I did get this thing and ordered some DH wheels and tires for it for those lift assisted mountain biker days:
1,455 days without a proper DH bike. I'm doing alright, but I think it's affecting my choice of bikes....
New whip

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons

View attachment 163854View attachment 163856
View attachment 163855
MAGNETS