Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I’m interested in hearing what you think after the shock swap

A non-piggy air shock and 34 wouldn’t cut it for me.

Your bike looks really fun!

View attachment 166455Well, gents, this bike shreds. Took it to my favorite local loop (Phillips Ridge to Phillips Canyon). 2500 climb and descent. I didn’t quite have enough air pressure in the shock, so my impressions are skewed by being only in the trail and climb modes. Got a PR without really trying. Rear shock is a bit ‘primitive’ after years of running shocks with 4 or 5 adjustments, I will definitely be getting the FloatX.
Seatpost insertion is actually fine with the 175 Transfer (inseam of ~32”).
This is one of the chunkier descents locally, and there wasn’t a hint of chain tomfoolery, so I will try it without the guide for now.
Love the two water bottle mounts, makes choosing between a water bottle or bear spray a thing of the past. But the upper wb mounts are positioned strangely, I wish they were closer to the lower ones, so I could fit a small front frame bag as well.
The Tube in Tubes are the easiest ever, no silliness for the dropper post cable. Everything is very well thought out. The tubes are really sleek!
I still have some fine tuning to do, but I will be very happy with this bike!
It is what I always hoped my SB100 would be, but wasn’t…
(sorry for the really lousy picture)

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
*probably* won’t be able to get the new shock and fork until at least December, so I really have no idea when I will be able to properly ride it in the chunk to compare. It is REALLY fun and poppy as it is (I can probably bunny hop a good 4-5” higher off flat ground than the 34 pound Altitude). I think it will be a blaster of a bike with the improved bouncy bits.

Last edited:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Bought a DVO Sapphire in December. Put it on the Throttle. Fork was titties until a burr appeared on the stanchion. Goodbye seals and oil. Dammit. Sent it back. They can't fix a janked stanchion but they can replace it. Crash replacement is gonna be a Diamond. Worth the extra coins me thinks. Imma excited to go riding when it gets back.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Bought a DVO Sapphire in December. Put it on the Throttle. Fork was titties until a burr appeared on the stanchion. Goodbye seals and oil. Dammit. Sent it back. They can't fix a janked stanchion but they can replace it. Crash replacement is gonna be a Diamond. Worth the extra coins me thinks. Imma excited to go riding when it gets back.
Diamond is a good fork...really impressed with those did a full rebuild and it's really well designed...was a couple years older but solid...

Played around on the one I rebuilt for a guy and it was solid...
20211007_183912.jpg

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Damn the Diamond is a nice fork. Only a 4mm difference in offset. Not sure I will notice the change. Pretty excited to get back to hammering the pedals. Still waiting on a Magura brake line to get the Banshee running.

112446.jpeg

Even frog approves of the new fork.

112104.jpeg

112494.jpeg

Last edited:

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Yup, just serviced mine after about 4 times the hours I was supposed to. Was still pristine inside grease had just migrated from where it needed to be and good as new when done.
:stupid:

Did the same after ~ 3.5 y, bought the service kit and it hasn't been necessary at all, all seals, pins and bushings were still in excellent condition. Similar to the DRT a very well thoroughly designed and engineered product.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Getting the Bronson MX dialed in. Swapped the 36 with a Lyrik and dropped the travel to 150 to tighten up the handling. Still figuring this thing out. It's weird in that the back-end feels long, like I need to shift to the backseat for carving, but at the same time the front-wheel feels under-weighted; usually the opposite is true (relatively long chainstays compared to wheelbase usually means more weight on the front wheel). The fork travel drop and running the geo in high mode is striking a better balance. Also got a Stompump; I don't think my healing broken hand could deal with a mini hand pump right now.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Ah dammit

I have two blue calipers and hoses I could have sent you that I don't need.

Well in the future, if you need two blue calipers and hoses for some reason, keep me in mind.

And my levers are hooked up to calipers they were never meant for, and stop 240lb dirt bikes at 30mph so I think you'll be good.

But yeah, goodrich if possible.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Ah dammit

I have two blue calipers and hoses I could have sent you that I don't need.

Well in the future, if you need two blue calipers and hoses for some reason, keep me in mind.

And my levers are hooked up to calipers they were never meant for, and stop 240lb dirt bikes at 30mph so I think you'll be good.

But yeah, goodrich if possible.
Lemme see how you connected the Hope hoses to a moto caliper

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
But it's for a winter bike, so you don't really need to stop fast anyway. But you do want them to work in the cold.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Lemme see how you connected the Hope hoses to a moto caliper
"it's complicated"

The easiest way is use this as an adapter

Cut down the long tube bit of the brake bosses and that fits right into some goodrich lines, and the nissin caliper on all japanese made bikes.

For a KTM the caliper thread might be different but that's the closest thing to a ready made adapter I could find. That's on one bike.

The other bike I bought a steel bolt that matches the caliper thread and just drilled and tapped it (which suuukkkkksss, but it does work)

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
"it's complicated"

The easiest way is use this as an adapter

Cut down the long tube bit of the brake bosses and that fits right into some goodrich lines, and the nissin caliper on all japanese made bikes.

For a KTM the caliper thread might be different but that's the closest thing to a ready made adapter I could find. That's on one bike.

The other bike I bought a steel bolt that matches the caliper thread and just drilled and tapped it (which suuukkkkksss, but it does work)
Awesome! I like your solution with the brake post!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Awesome! I like your solution with the brake post!
I just want you to appreciate that it took me months of searching thread pitches and a single plug and play adapter between those two sizes............because fucking hell those were hard to discover :rofl:

like page 28 of a google search and hundreds of dollars wasted on bullshit hydraulic adapters...

When in doubt, always look to a bmx badass somewhere. Never steered wrong.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
really?

but they're so pretty

I don't know, I became a hope fan when I bought some and never used them but I'm also not that bright. They seem pretty badass from a never used them actively mountainbiking perspective.
Ah they're not that bad. I've got em on the Smuggler. I just would always take the hit and get the V4s given a choice. 9g heavier but the power difference isn't little.

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
really?

but they're so pretty

I don't know, I became a hope fan when I bought some and never used them but I'm also not that bright. They seem pretty badass from a never used them actively mountainbiking perspective.
You will be fine, they have modulation for days but power where needed. I have had two different sets of E4 and hadn't wished I had another brand. I like the way they feel even with the cheap Discobrake pads I put in them.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I was running the previous bike's X2 brakes up front with 203/180 rotors and that was fine (but not color coordinated!). My ultimate plan though is to remove all Shimano brakes from my inventory as they fail or as I run out of pads, so those brakes get moved over to the race bike. The E4s on this bike aren't intended for as much speed and abuse as I can throw at my Megatrail. We did a nice 2000' drop yesterday, alternating between new snow and mud, but there's no way you'd ride snow on 45% grades like I do on the GG and I wouldn't push this bike that hard in the summer either.
249210634_10102409464456108_6788640094695249646_n.jpg

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I changed the chainring for a 32t from 28t and I also went from a 36 teeth ratchet to a 18 teeth. All that to theoretically reduce the likelihood of pedal kickback.
Did it work as intended? Probably!

Since I got covid in February I haven't been able to ride as I wanted but yesterday was the first time I could enjoy a full day in the bikepark without being braindead.
I am stoked to be back! We drove to Oscar Härnström's bikepark https://instagram.com/kisamtbpark?utm_medium=copy_link and it was mint! Not so many tracks but well done with alternative lines with varying level of difficulty. Heavy rain during the night made everything slippery: it was all fun and drift everywhere.
Screenshot_20211107-185145_Gallery.jpg

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I'll screw with alot of animals including sharks...chased a mt lion into bushes to get a pic...was in water and had a huge white go by my oldest and me while doing and spear fishing..wanted to shoot it but that carries a fee and potential jail time...

A MOOSE... HELL NO......I will not mess with one....

Glad your brakes worked. They are mean as hell and will stomp you out for no reason

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'll screw with alot of animals including sharks...chased a mt lion into bushes to get a pic...was in water and had a huge white go by my oldest and me while doing and spear fishing..wanted to shoot it but that carries a fee and potential jail time...

A MOOSE... HELL NO......I will not mess with one....

Glad your brakes worked. They are mean as hell and will stomp you out for no reason
Yesterday, one came up out of the bushes on to the trail and challenged me, like it was about to charge. It had one antler and looked like it was in bad shape. After a few moments, it backed off down the hill. That's pretty rare, as they will usually stand their ground or charge when you get too close. This one was limping badly and must have gotten pretty beat up in the rut.

Just a week or so before, I was waiting for a few moose to clear when a few other rides came up behind me. They said they had just recently "learned the hard way" that you don't throw snowballs at moose. WTF? Yeah, they will charge and stomp the hell out of you, they are not afraid of people at all. I think that's one of the biggest issues we get with stuff that draws international crowds, like the Iditarod where a few people got stomped a couple years ago. People think they are like deer and will be impressed and scared by a human jumping up and down. They ain't and the closer you get, the more agitated they get.