Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
Nothing special here, just enough to get me back into the dirt. bar and stem are my roommates and just holding the front end together. XT tranny and brakes will be ordered after pay day. glad im 'getting back into it' cause I drink too much. I figured what better way to get back into it with a 29er and a smurf jizz paint job.

thinking about pulling the trigger on one of those DVO forks on sale at Jensen as I don't really want to run another 32 fork again (part of a package dealio). im also looking for a low rise 780 bar, let me know if anyone knows where to find a decent deal on one. most of what I am finding is too short for me.

Attachments

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
same ol 2009 uzzi/coil/float 36/hopes with ex500s/xt cranks/x9 shifty bits/reverb which still does it all. new parts this year...tires. grips. that's it. does local xc and hux with a little effort. long days in mountain gnar (what it's built for) happily. and occasional lift served days with grace. considering new brakes, xt's are increasingly inconsistent, which is starting to scare me a bit.

here it is in its natural element.

i'll admit, looking at the RM slayer or GG megatrail as the two replacement options when the time comes...

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Nothing special here, just enough to get me back into the dirt. bar and stem are my roommates and just holding the front end together. XT tranny and brakes will be ordered after pay day. glad im 'getting back into it' cause I drink too much. I figured what better way to get back into it with a 29er and a smurf jizz paint job.

thinking about pulling the trigger on one of those DVO forks on sale at Jensen as I don't really want to run another 32 fork again (part of a package dealio). im also looking for a low rise 780 bar, let me know if anyone knows where to find a decent deal on one. most of what I am finding is too short for me.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/us/en/answer-pro-taper-780-dh-riser-bar/rp-prod90461

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Zerode Taniwha 1.jpg
Have this for now. It is a LG and too small so looking to get the XL. Have this listed now also a Geometron G13 s9" is in my future from the looks of it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Here you go: https://www.answerproducts.com/components/bars/carbon-810/

They are advertising the 810 and 12.7 rise (which is nearly nil). I have an earlier version that is 780 and it's low rise, can't be more than 20. Thing I like about it is that it's beefy as hell, I'm far more confident about it than some thin aluminum bar at that length that they've tried to make light by making thinner. I have a CB carbon bar on my fatbike that is the same length and looking at the layup and comparing, it looks like I'm risking my life every time I ride it.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Nothing much new for me other than the new dumb bike.

I do have one new M8000 XT brake coming back on warranty replacement. Will be putting those back on the trail bike with new metal pads, and then finally putting the Saints back on the DHR.

Do need to get a heavier spring for the DHR.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
To fill the (pretty much non-existant) between my Scout and Gambler, I picked up a 2nd hand Patrol just recently. Intend to use it for the occasional enduro and build it into a travelling bike that lets me do some backcountry rides as well as hit bike parks and DH lines. It came with a mish-mash of parts that I wouldn't normally run which has been an eye-opener for me - I'd forgotten how annoying the varying bite point of bad brakes can be and I still can't figure out how Reverbs are as popular as they are given the horrible remote. Aside from that - this bike rips. Super, super capable even on big rocky lines.

Attachments

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I struggle to empathise each time I read someone's hydraulic plunger pressing woes on the internet.
Deadset hey. Cable actuated is just 100x more practical for running repairs, cost, installation and availability of aftermarket alternative levers. The reverb lever sucks, the posts seem to always develop squish or rotational movement and they're not even a cheap post to semi-justify why they're specced on so many bikes.

Uh forget I said that. Reverbs are super reliable and just the best post on the market hands down. If anyone is interested in one of these wonder-posts, please contact me and I'm willing to regretfully part with mine for a decent price.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Cable actuated is just 100x more practical for running repairs, cost, installation and availability of aftermarket alternative levers. The reverb lever sucks, the posts seem to always develop squish or rotational movement and they're not even a cheap post to semi-justify why they're specced on so many bikes.

Uh forget I said that. Reverbs are super reliable and just the best post on the market hands down. If anyone is interested in one of these wonder-posts, please contact me and I'm willing to regretfully part with mine for a decent price.
Ha ha... Have a beer n chill out... it's just a seatpost... I have 20+ of the things, some move, some don't, some have cables attached others have hoses.they're really not worth getting upset about either way.

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
I just picked up a Brand X dropper post to give it a go on my hardtail. I've only ridden it once but it looks promising. I'll keep everyone posted.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
New trail bike for this year. Same NS Fuzz for DH. New stem/bars for safety sake.
I just picked up a Brand X dropper post to give it a go on my hardtail. I've only ridden it once but it looks promising. I'll keep everyone posted.
Same. One came on my Nukeproof Mega 275. So far so good. Just as good as the KS Supernatural on my last bike.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Been using the Revive on some training rides in the last few days finally. Super smooth, really like it. It's sensitive to how far you push too (as far as return speed).

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Season 2 on the Nomad.

Replaced the rear wheel with a MKIII flow rim laced to an X9 hub. Not baller, but I think I'll live.

Quite like the 350CR fork, but I'm pretty sure it is due for a service. Still not sure I've got my shock set up right again after the winter.

My XTR brakes are still requiring frequent bleeds. Baller, but not very satisfying.

Honestly, I think my next bike will be alum, but with fancy wheels. New bike is at least a couple years off, so plenty of time to change my mind.

Turbine dropper is still working well.

My TR450 continues to look sad in the shed. Perhaps I'll ride it more than once this summer...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My XTR brakes are still requiring frequent bleeds. Baller, but not very satisfying.
Take em to a bike shop. They have a 3yr warranty and I had one that was acting up. Shop called shimano and then shimano said they wanted both of mine because they wanted to give me two of the latest brand new ones.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Why is that?
Well, assuming there will still be reasonably priced options out there, I'd like to try spending the difference in frame price (carbon vs. Alum) on some fancy wheels instead.

I still have plenty of time to change my mind a dozen times before then.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
That picture was taken at noon on a summer day on the Shore. True story!

;)

edit: peach: you're the only person I know currently with a Bomber. I have a sweet old school Marzocchi hoody for you if you want it.
The weather is slowly starting to un-shittify. Not a mOment too soon.

As for the fork, it's RUX-ariffic. If your hoodie is woo-sized, I'd love it. Come deliver and we will ride.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Hey, I started this thread, and clearly stated upgrades to my 888.

Is the 888 no Bomber enough?
Figures, should have never sold the 66 Evo last week.:banghead:

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Well, assuming there will still be reasonably priced options out there, I'd like to try spending the difference in frame price (carbon vs. Alum) on some fancy wheels instead.

I still have plenty of time to change my mind a dozen times before then.
Makes sense.
I went from riding a carbon dh and a carbon xc bike to an alu trail bike (with kinda fancy Hope wheels) and i regret it to this day.

Ive never seen any of my carbon bike smoke or make hissing sounds when exposed to sunlight btw :D

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
Same Spitfire I was on the last two seasons. New DVO Topaz and a fresh handlebar. Looking at a longer dropper.

View attachment 125243

What length droppah' you got on there now? I have a 125mm on my 2016, and am like 4mm too short for a 150mm KS post to fit. Ugh. I feel like a roadie even saying that, but I have done a ride with a 150 on this bike, and it was just too tall, ok!? Good looking rig man.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
What length droppah' you got on there now? I have a 125mm on my 2016, and am like 4mm too short for a 150mm KS post to fit. Ugh. I feel like a roadie even saying that, but I have done a ride with a 150 on this bike, and it was just too tall, ok!? Good looking rig man.
Have you tried looking for a saddle with a smaller rail to seat distance?