Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Holy smokes i have not. That's a good idea. I am on a WTB Volt, which looks (to my untrained eye) pretty tall. You might be onto something!
Other thing you could consider is punching yourself in the taint every day. Over time you can probably make a 4 mm divot.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
What length droppah' you got on there now? I have a 125mm on my 2016, and am like 4mm too short for a 150mm KS post to fit. Ugh. I feel like a roadie even saying that, but I have done a ride with a 150 on this bike, and it was just too tall, ok!? Good looking rig man.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
2017-04-26 22.19.20.jpg

2017 Devinci Spartan crabon.
Pike Rc 160
RF Sixc cranks
Hope Tech 3 E4 f/r 180mm
Hadley f/r hubs with Sapim Leader and DT XM 481
Avalanche tuned monarch
KS Lev Integra 31.6 x 150 w/southpaw
GX shifter, cassette and derailleur

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
What length droppah' you got on there now? I have a 125mm on my 2016, and am like 4mm too short for a 150mm KS post to fit. Ugh. I feel like a roadie even saying that, but I have done a ride with a 150 on this bike, and it was just too tall, ok!? Good looking rig man.
It's a Thomson 125mm. Ive got plenty of room for a 150 or 160, so that's what I'm planning. Along with drilling to run internal routing.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
@6thElement @Nick I have a 450x3.25 on the DHR right now. What do you guys have laying around?
Nothing heavier than that, I was only running a Fox Ti 375 on my RC4, but have a new 400 sitting in parts.

375 is what the fox website still says for my riding weight ~185lb's so going to try that on the new whip too. Otherwise I'll try the 400lb sls spring it should be coming with.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
Im 192lbs and last year i felt like i was sagging too much/ smaking the shit out of the bash gaurd. the past couple rides I've had on the DHR this year it has much more active rear suspension, poppy, whatever cool words

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Im 192lbs and last year i felt like i was sagging too much/ smaking the shit out of the bash gaurd. the past couple rides I've had on the DHR this year it has much more active rear suspension, poppy, whatever cool words
I am probably at 210-215ish pounds. But yeah, same thing. It feels super mellow and relaxed with the 450lb spring, but it just sags way too much and I need to use too much preload.

@Nick Will a shorter stroke spring fit? Come to think of it I don't think I've ever replaced a spring on any of my shocks. Need to research fitment and whatnot. :imstupid:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I am probably at 210-215ish pounds. But yeah, same thing. It feels super mellow and relaxed with the 450lb spring, but it just sags way too much and I need to use too much preload.

@Nick Will a shorter stroke spring fit? Come to think of it I don't think I've ever replaced a spring on any of my shocks. Need to research fitment and whatnot. :imstupid:
Play with this and don't forget it wants your riding weight with all your gear.
http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/Content/mtbspringratecalculator.htm

You need a 3" stroke spring, Fox labels theirs 3.25" but same thing.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are

DHR uses a 3" stroke shock. You shouldn't need a 3.25 spring unless you're adding more than 1 -1.5 turns of preload.
(disclaimer: not an engineer) I think Fox made that size to fit to 3" and 3.25" stroke shocks.

I checked and I have a 550 x 3.25 ... you're welcome to it for cost of shipping.

edit: Fox's spring calculator is nowhere near accurate for me. I'm on a 475# coil on my RC4 and it's perfect.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
fox lists their spring as like free stroke. so, for a 3" stroke shock, you need a 3.25" to prevent coil bind at the limit. Similarly a 2.75 on a 2.5, and so forth. Everyone else just incorporates it into their design- a 3" coil spring actually has 3.25" of travel before coil bind.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Still trying to break the old stoke mule, but she's a tough ol'bitch...

Nothing super new, but the luddite is strong:

* 10 speed
* Shitty, unrideabru aluminum frame
* Shitty, unrideabru aluminum 26" wheels
* Shitty, unrideabru aluminum steering stick
* Unboosted
* 125 mm dropper
* Coil shock
* No battery compartment

At least it's pretty UV resistant though.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Still trying to break the old stoke mule, but she's a tough ol'bitch...

Nothing super new, but the luddite is strong:

* 10 speed
* Shitty, unrideabru aluminum frame
* Shitty, unrideabru aluminum 26" wheels
* Shitty, unrideabru aluminum steering stick
* Unboosted
* 125 mm dropper
* Coil shock
* No battery compartment

At least it's pretty UV resistant though.
DAMMIT MAN . . . don't make me take off mah fancy crabon steering stick to compete! i bet you have trendy, short, 170mm cranks though . . . why, I bet that sprightly thing even weighs less than 35#!

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
DAMMIT MAN . . . don't make me take off mah fancy crabon steering stick to compete! i bet you have trendy, short, 170mm cranks though . . . why, I bet that sprightly thing even weighs less than 35#!
Ya got me on both counts, although I will say the 170 cranks aren't the worst idea when its in the low geo mode. Regardless, you're still setting the luddite benchmark with an unrideabru VPP and I thought you had a coil 36 up front and I'm guessing a 135 mm rear hub spacing...When/if you decide to go full-enduro, please mail me the burlyllium belt of yesteryear.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Ya got me on both counts, although I will say the 170 cranks aren't the worst idea when its in the low geo mode. Regardless, you're still setting the luddite benchmark with an unrideabru VPP and I thought you had a coil 36 up front and I'm guessing a 135 mm rear hub spacing...When/if you decide to go full-enduro, please mail me the burlyllium belt of yesteryear.
float up front...and yep, 135x12 bolt on in the back. the mega-luddite in me misses the quick releases on the lowers of my old 36.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
New DH toy, still need to cut the steerer and my current rear brake hose is about 1" short so needs to be swapped.
20170502_102304.jpg

To say it's bright yellow is an understatement. It will never be this clean again.

Last edited:

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
IMG_4836.JPG

Got a sweet deal on this frame and built it up using my parts bin. Gonna send my Vengeance cart off to get the Avy treatment.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
what size did you go with? can't wait to hear your thoughts on it- your wife has one, right?
Large with a 10mm spacer below the top crown, 50mm Thomson 30deg rise stem and 30mm rise Renthal bars. Fit feels really good with the scientific riding around the driveway test.

I might not be able to wait until the lifts open in three weeks to give it a proper try. I might have to persuade my wife to pick me up at the bottom of the 1300ft descent which is pretty much out of our door. The 1800ft descent would require me to pedal a mile to get to it :)

Hers is the medium, 40mm Thomson stem.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Very small year for me upgrade-wise.
- Full service of the frame pivots (as I do every year)
- Full-service of my Pushed fork and shock at SuspensionWerx. It was about to explode and needed a new air spring assembly ($$$), new bladder, etc.
- Huck Norris yoga mat. I plan to only try it for the rear tire at first. My front tire is a Mavic Charge with a proper casing and I don't think it needs a Huck Norris insert.
- Schwalbe Rock Razor rear tire

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Almost forgot, I put a Vorsprung Corset sleeve on the Fox Float CTD, on my Banshee Spitfire. I have a few hundred kilometers on it so far.

Initial impressions are that it feels pretty awesome, lots of traction no matter the situation. It also looks cool. Side notes are that I'm running 50-70psi more than what I used to and it is now in the 300psi range. I think I used to run about 225ish, but I have also most likely gained weight. There has definitely been a negative impact on climbing, the bike settles into the travel more and it feels like a tractor.

Perhaps it is a placebo affect, but I have felt no need to move the CTD lever over to the descend mode. Trail feels pretty awesome when ripping down fast stuff.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path

Last year's picture - same bike for now. For the most part cause I'm too lazy to switch it out. Hell, I barely make it into work in the morning. Not worth getting mad over wheel sizes, hub widths, ect.