Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
View attachment 128976

Finished the build with a Kogel BB and Wolftooth headset. I installed a Bikeyoke 185mm dropper also. Hadley hubs laced to a dt471 rear and 481 front. Slx cranks and xt drivetrain plus brakes. The bike rides nice. No regrets from moving away from this bike.

View attachment 128977
I'll be curious to hear about your experience with the headset.
Hey @boostindoubles, how has that headset held up so far? Any issues/thoughts?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Just finished her up today, first ride in the AM. Will take some better pics and post em up.
2019 Beargrease on 27.5 x 4's (i70)
Onxy Hubs on carbon rims
XTR/XT except the cranks

Last edited:

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I picked this frame up because they are cheap and I wanted a winter beater with the same geo I am accustomed to. I robbed all the parts from my evolink 140. So far I am loving it, I don't know how to jump it yet (hardtail hater) but it's damn fast and makes me wonder if I even need suspension for non lift assist riding.

Attachments

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
I picked this frame up because they are cheap and I wanted a winter beater with the same geo I am accustomed to. I robbed all the parts from my evolink 140. So far I am loving it, I don't know how to jump it yet (hardtail hater) but it's damn fast and makes me wonder if I even need suspension for non lift assist riding.
I felt the same way when I managed to build up a Cotic BFe. A few years ago. The only issue I had was switching from full suspension to hardtail and the body language that goes with it. Full suspension can make you lazy and/or learn bad habits. I did find it harder on my ankles and lower back, specifically on bigger hits. Still love how quick they are, but I am looking forward to my 120mm project I am wrapping up. Just enough to take to edge off these old bones.

commencaldh

Jeremy Hottinger
Apr 26, 2015

Got the tanwalls, BikeYoke Revive Dropper, and v4s on the Tracer, too bad the weather here is absolutely brutal at the moment...

commencaldh

Jeremy Hottinger
Apr 26, 2015
Nice bike. Any clearance issues with the lower link? I would smash it to bits in no time. #talentlesshack
haven't really noticed anything, and it doesn't seem abnormally scratched, even after riding stuff like TOTW at whistler and some local gnar.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I wanted XX1 fat cranks for my new iditarod fat bike (which isn't built, the frame is at my parent's house) because RF is so unreliable with the Next. It's a bit over the top, but in the winter any part that isn't metal is so much easier to grab, so reducing the heat-sink parts is nice. Problem though is every set of XX1 "fat" cranks I found was $525. Doing it this way, a set of PF30 XX1 cranks was $270 with shipping off of Amazon and a RF 190 spindle was $60. So same thing, way cheaper. Took out the "do not remove" bolt (and there was a 7.0 earthquake the next morning) and used some PVC bigger than the axle to press out the axle with a clamp. Something like a headset press would work or a long enough bolt/threaded rod. It's the same press-fit on the "do not remove" side, it just lacks threads for a self-extracting bolt. Race Face and Sram spindle interface is exactly the same, so it mounts right up.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I was willing to pay around $300, but I was sure as hell not going to buy any RF cranks again.
IMG_4453 (Edited).JPG

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
anyone know of any 29x2.5 to 2.6 studded tires? I rode my fatbike this weekend on very hardpacked and icy trails. I kept thinking that a studded tire would be better. I have a Kona Humu rigid single speed that I really enjoy riding on smooth trails. I kept thinking the Humu with wide studded tires would be a blast.

But my google-fu has failed to find studded 29r tires. to minimize costs, I'd really like to stick with current rims (WTB i19) I saw that 45Nrth make a 29x2.35 tire (the Nicotine), but that seems a little too skinny for my purposes. Ideally, I'd be looking at a 2.5 to 2.8 tire I'd imagine... something that could provide a bit of float on softer snow (think late fall/early spring now that has gone through a few freeze-thaw cycles and can be pure ice in some spots, and softer corn in other areas). if the concept works, I could see myself getting wider rims and using it more in the summer too.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Schwalbe makes lousy studded tires, unless you plan to replace them every season or so.
I emailed Terrene. It seems that their 29x2.8 cake eater was designed to work on rims from i35 to i45. With an i35 rim, I could still use my current 2.35 Bontrager SE4s (I don't use this bike for aggressive riding, so I'm sure it would be fine), and then put the cake eaters on for when it's firm and icy. This Humu has turned into a remarkably versatile bike. Now I just need to check that such a wide tire will fit in the frame/fork.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
When you're from Queensland in December, open a thread in the Downhill forum and they're discussing spiked snow tyres for fat bikes

:clapping:

Tell us about your new bike, or your new bits and bobs. then show us where you ride, and post pictures of you riding. it will help us get through this miserable time in our lives!

On a side note, I visited the indoor bike park opening a block and a half away from me over the weeknd. They gave me and my 5 y.o. a quick tour. Said they'd be opening in January or February. I'm really looking forward to it. I still have my old dirt jumper I bought the last time an indoor place opened in my town. I think I'll hold off making any fat purchases until I've tried the new place out... :pilot:

this is the place:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
To be honest, riding in 38ºC (100ºF) and 90% humidity probably isn't much more fun than snow. I guess not needing spikes is a plus, but carrying 3L of water for any ride over an hour is a pain.