Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Nice, but the seat tube will not allow much space for a dropper... or is it hollowed at the bottom and the piggy can be mounted facing forward?
Well, it is 200mm deep (with a hole at the bottom) in the pic. 125mm droppers can be fully inserted.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I only put on the rear since my Avid Elixir CR on the front (circa 2009) is still amazingly running great
I'm still running a set of Elixir CR Mag's ridden weekly that are 8+ years old now with close to 10000 miles on them.

They'll probably kill me next ride...

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Putting the silver lining on a cloud. Smashed finger has turned into a complicated fix so my plans for the 2019 TransBC enduro and Whistler enduros have gone down the drain. Luckily travel insurance refunded the bookings so I went straight to the shop for a new rig to help with motivation during the recovery.

20190609_130254.jpg

20190404_093614.jpg

Just a new frame, all the same bits and bobs as the Kona.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
9+ weeks into my recovery, I'm trying very hard not to spend a ton of money on shiny new stuff while I'm sitting around not riding...

chris_f

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
9+ weeks into my recovery, I'm trying very hard not to spend a ton of money on shiny new stuff while I'm sitting around not riding...
Ah, the dreaded "winter-syndrome," but in summer instead. It's an expensive time to go through.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Yeah I've effectively missed most of our local DH and Enduro season, plus Trans BC and Whistler. Watching coverage from the missed events sucks.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Having multiple back-up hobbies is they way to go. Between bike gear, guitar gear, dj gear and photo gear I always have something I can sell to pay for other gear. Although it's also why I'm always burning through my fun money fund.

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Having multiple back-up hobbies is they way to go. Between bike gear, guitar gear, dj gear and photo gear I always have something I can sell to pay for other gear. Although it's also why I'm always burning through my fun money fund.
I'll just leave this here.

Photo gear or guitars/amps not pictured here. :rolleyes:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
31968E93-5389-4782-A454-237060D5C1A3.jpeg
what's that? you want to see some crappy garage cell phone pics of updates to my sick whip? well buckle up, buttercups, you got it!
since last posted this fragile unsunabru crabon nightmare on wheels has seen many changes.
1. appropriate sized wheels. that's right, it is no longer the 2650bromad. hope pro 4 rear and old pro 2 front to ex471s with dhf doubledown 2.5s front and back. god damn if i didn't break 2 tire levers and make my lady fingers sore for a week rasslin those rubbers on there, but they're stout as fuck and no flats or burps for 6+ months of abuse.
2. oneup drooper. decided not to operate on the old reverb. sent it to west jersey so it can listen to municipal waste with @jonKranked. oneup goes up and down. broke the original lever in a wreck. tried a wolftooth. didn't like. traded to a local ripper for a one up. happy again.
3. odi tld grips. had some on originally. tried some @kidwoo approved sensus but i think my crabon bars poisoned them and made them hurt my hands. so back to some new odi tld's.
4. drivetrain. shoved the horribly out of fashion 1x10 onto the beige slaywagon. ran it until it wore out. was too cheap and lazy to change the driver, so i eaglified this freedom-mobile with a nx cassette and shifter and xo1 derailleur, and threw a 34t ring up front since there is a stupid large plate in the back now.
5. stopping stuff. cura 4/203 up front cura 2/180 out back. sure, i managed to cheat death with xt's for years, but i was promised modulation AND power. and since i failed out of @Udi dental school, no trickstuff for this nonprofiting nonprofit worker. so far, perform as hoped. this subtle onset of slowdown has grown on me.

future upgrades? mebbe rear shock....mebbe a fork with non-pisgah'd stanchions...mebbe a dual crown for moar dh cushion? prolly a new saddle. this thing is a ton of fun.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
View attachment 134919 what's that? you want to see some crappy garage cell phone pics of updates to my sick whip? well buckle up, buttercups, you got it!
since last posted this fragile unsunabru crabon nightmare on wheels has seen many changes.
1. appropriate sized wheels. that's right, it is no longer the 2650bromad. hope pro 4 rear and old pro 2 front to ex471s with dhf doubledown 2.5s front and back. god damn if i didn't break 2 tire levers and make my lady fingers sore for a week rasslin those rubbers on there, but they're stout as fuck and no flats or burps for 6+ months of abuse.
2. oneup drooper. decided not to operate on the old reverb. sent it to west jersey so it can listen to municipal waste with @jonKranked. oneup goes up and down. broke the original lever in a wreck. tried a wolftooth. didn't like. traded to a local ripper for a one up. happy again.
3. odi tld grips. had some on originally. tried some @kidwoo approved sensus but i think my crabon bars poisoned them and made them hurt my hands. so back to some new odi tld's.
4. drivetrain. shoved the horribly out of fashion 1x10 onto the beige slaywagon. ran it until it wore out. was too cheap and lazy to change the driver, so i eaglified this freedom-mobile with a nx cassette and shifter and xo1 derailleur, and threw a 34t ring up front since there is a stupid large plate in the back now.
5. stopping stuff. cura 4/203 up front cura 2/180 out back. sure, i managed to cheat death with xt's for years, but i was promised modulation AND power. and since i failed out of @Udi dental school, no trickstuff for this nonprofiting nonprofit worker. so far, perform as hoped. this subtle onset of slowdown has grown on me.

future upgrades? mebbe rear shock....mebbe a fork with non-pisgah'd stanchions...mebbe a dual crown for moar dh cushion? prolly a new saddle. this thing is a ton of fun.
1 - not bad.

2 - i haven't lived in new jersey for like 7 years.

3 - i just switched to deity knuckledusters and like them a lot.

4 - jeez even i've upgraded to 11 speed.

5 - stop dragging brakes. you'll go faster.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Putting the silver lining on a cloud. Smashed finger has turned into a complicated fix so my plans for the 2019 TransBC enduro and Whistler enduros have gone down the drain. Luckily travel insurance refunded the bookings so I went straight to the shop for a new rig to help with motivation during the recovery.

View attachment 134891
View attachment 134892

Just a new frame, all the same bits and bobs as the Kona.
That looks painful. Get well soon fren.

What size is that patrol frame and how tall are you if you don't mind me asking? My friend who is only about 5'8" was testing a medium and large sentinel and he prefers the large paired with a short stem. And I thought transition frames were longer than others. However, he is probably faster than all of us here so I'm not questioning his decision.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
That looks painful. Get well soon fren.

What size is that patrol frame and how tall are you if you don't mind me asking? My friend who is only about 5'8" was testing a medium and large sentinel and he prefers the large paired with a short stem. And I thought transition frames were longer than others. However, he is probably faster than all of us here so I'm not questioning his decision.
Mine is a medium. I'm 5'8ish with a short inseam. I tested a Large and liked it - I think it would probably be a faster descender on most race tracks. I nearly went that option but I figured at nearly 40 years old and mid-pack Expert at best I'm better off buying something more fun and flickable for our local stuff. I raced DH for years on bikes that were too small anyway so I think it will be fine.

A few rides in and I think I made the right call. I can't really do anything too fast at the moment because my left hand is still friggen useless but even the medium is a long bike. It alternates corners nicely and I think anything bigger would require more setting up for corners and become a bit more of a straight line only bike. Once the hand is healed and I can go bashing through the rough stuff I'll comment back on the stability.

BTW, the Megatrail size 2 with reach adjust would give you the best of both worlds. Shorten it up for playing about and bang it in the long setting for plowing "teh gnar" or doing the occasional DH race.

*edit* i forgot to mention that importantly I'm running the regular 46mm offset and a 50mm stem off my Kona. Compared to the stock Large with the 37mm offset and 40mm stem it is effectively a 15mm difference in reach and WB between the L and M Patrol.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Mine is a medium. I'm 5'8ish with a short inseam. I tested a Large and liked it - I think it would probably be a faster descender on most race tracks. I nearly went that option but I figured at nearly 40 years old and mid-pack Expert at best I'm better off buying something more fun and flickable for our local stuff. I raced DH for years on bikes that were too small anyway so I think it will be fine.

A few rides in and I think I made the right call. I can't really do anything too fast at the moment because my left hand is still friggen useless but even the medium is a long bike. It alternates corners nicely and I think anything bigger would require more setting up for corners and become a bit more of a straight line only bike. Once the hand is healed and I can go bashing through the rough stuff I'll comment back on the stability.

BTW, the Megatrail size 2 with reach adjust would give you the best of both worlds. Shorten it up for playing about and bang it in the long setting for plowing "teh gnar" or doing the occasional DH race.

*edit* i forgot to mention that importantly I'm running the regular 46mm offset and a 50mm stem off my Kona. Compared to the stock Large with the 37mm offset and 40mm stem it is effectively a 15mm difference in reach and WB between the L and M Patrol.
I'm slightly shorter than you at around 5'7" (longish arms). I was able to ride the medium sentinel on flat ground and it seemed to fit fine when I was pedalling around. Perhaps due to the steeper seat angle?

My friend tested the medium for a couple of months then switched to the large. He raced it at our National Champs because his TR11 hadn't been delivered yet. He managed to finish 2nd and told me he was fast on the jumps, road gaps and smoother bits but couldn't beat the dh bikes in the rock garden.

Would love to test a megatrail. Hopefully one will show up in my area.

fubuki

Chimp
Dec 5, 2004
PNW

Took the plunge on some plastic hoops. 3rd day on the bike I flat spotted the stock WTB rims and that was with CushCore inserts. Thought I'd try another first and try out some Conti tires. I've mostly been running Magic Marys the past few years. Wheels are SC Reserve 30 with the I9 hubs. So spendy, but lifetime free crash replacement is a nice safety net. Kept the CushCore, but not sure I want to live with the weight penalty. I'm swapping the 160 Lyrik for 170 Lyrik Ultimate soon. Got sucked down the rabbit hole on offsets, but decided to stick with 51mm. Other than that the only other thing I'm considering now is the MegNeg can for the Super Deluxe.