Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Just did a few laps on the new SLAYER. Holy Crap, what a bike. Hands down my favorite out of the new long travel bikes I ride (Megatrail, Gambler, sb165). If it were 3-4 pounds lighter I would buy two. Would bang all day, every day.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
New Lyrik is a monster truck machine.

Still need to fiddle. I suspect another spacer is in order, but holy crap is it smooth.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I concur, rode a few Lyrics yesterday, pretty well sorted out fork (especially for not really fiddling with any settings)
The new 2.1 Charger version or the last years one? I've got a Charger 1 version Lyrik and its due for a damper rebuild and overhaul and I'm half tempted to get the new damper as an upgrade.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
dipping my toe into this Endurance bike culture

Canfield Balance
Huge props to @lobsterCT for the hook up!
Slowly building her up.. hopefully ready for fall time

Any recommendations for 11 speed drivetrains? I have a sram xd rear hub if that makes any difference.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Any recommendations for 11 speed drivetrains? I have a sram xd rear hub if that makes any difference.
Get yourself an X01 shifter and pair with a minimum-GX level 11spd mech. SRAM only goes to 42T in 11spd unfortunately, but Garabruk and e.13 offer XD cassettes that go larger in 11spd. If you're fine with 42T rear then SRAM cassettes seem a bit more durable than the Garabruk and e.13 offerings.

The X01 shifter is the winner though - I rate it better than the more expensive SRAM offerings.

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
My pleasure Trumbull - i wanted that frame to go to someone with a stoke for riding, and who had the mechanical sense to problem solve. Enjoy!

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Get yourself an X01 shifter and pair with a minimum-GX level 11spd mech. SRAM only goes to 42T in 11spd unfortunately, but Garabruk and e.13 offer XD cassettes that go larger in 11spd. If you're fine with 42T rear then SRAM cassettes seem a bit more durable than the Garabruk and e.13 offerings.

The X01 shifter is the winner though - I rate it better than the more expensive SRAM offerings.
I dare to suggest Sunrace's XD-compatible 11 speed cassettes. Significantly cheaper than Garbaruk/E-13 and they go to 46.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I dare to suggest Sunrace's XD-compatible 11 speed cassettes. Significantly cheaper than Garbaruk/E-13 and they go to 46.
Are they any good? I'm running the Shimano XT 11-46 because I want the range, but they're heavy as hell and they didn't space them correctly, just chopped the 42 off and replaced it with a 46 so there's a massive jump. Keen to try a better 11spd alternative cassette. Box does one as well, but haven't heard how they go.

I had my hopes up the the new XTR 11spd would be the solution but apparently they just dropped the 51T off the 12spd cassette and put a spacer in. So it's 12spd spacing but only 11 gears so it won't work with 11spd systems.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Are they any good? I'm running the Shimano XT 11-46 because I want the range, but they're heavy as hell and they didn't space them correctly, just chopped the 42 off and replaced it with a 46 so there's a massive jump. Keen to try a better 11spd alternative cassette. Box does one as well, but haven't heard how they go.

I had my hopes up the the new XTR 11spd would be the solution but apparently they just dropped the 51T off the 12spd cassette and put a spacer in. So it's 12spd spacing but only 11 gears so it won't work with 11spd systems.
My bad, I just checked Sunrace's website and the 11-speed, XD compatible cassette it's an 10-42. The 12-speed one goes 10-50.

I've been using their HG compatible 11-46 cassette for over two years, the gear ratios are sensibly spaced and the weight isn't as obscene as in the Shimano alternatives.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Pulled the trigger on a closeout '18 Glory. Mostly budget parts (Marz 380 R, Van RC, Level brakes, Truvativ Ruktion cranks) but I can swap out the fork immediately and deal with the other stuff as it annoys me.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
I think I've had this in my hands for about a month, but its taken that longer to get it setup. Mostly been as summer music festival and tied up at work, but its ready to roll now.

Brakes - whipped off the Guide Rs and installed my XTs
Wheels - removed the stock wheels and installed a set of Hope Fortus. 30MM internal DH rim on the rear since I plan on running 2.3 tires and I get a stronger back wheel in the process
Tires - sold the rear 2.5" DHF and installed a 2.3" DHRII
Suspension - no upgrades yet. Will see how the Lyrik rides before making a call, but I already have the rear shock for sale on PB. Will give it a try but I would prefer a couple more knobs and there are a number of new DPX2s for sales that are coming off Patrols. Prolly pick one up and send it in for tuning and to shorten the stroke.

Expecting first ride tomorrow.
20190907_170249.jpg

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Suspension - no upgrades yet. Will see how the Lyrik rides before making a call, but I already have the rear shock for sale on PB. Will give it a try but I would prefer a couple more knobs and there are a number of new DPX2s for sales that are coming off Patrols. Prolly pick one up and send it in for tuning and to shorten the stroke.
That's the same frame I had. The DPX2 made it feel about 20 times better than the stock shock. You might need to go up a spacer size if you're getting an ex-Patrol one. Also, consider only shortening the stroke to 62.5. The Patrol is 65, the stock Kona is 60. 62.5 didn't cause any issues on mine and bumps travel to 160mm. Solid as fuck those Kona are.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
That's the same frame I had. The DPX2 made it feel about 20 times better than the stock shock. You might need to go up a spacer size if you're getting an ex-Patrol one. Also, consider only shortening the stroke to 62.5. The Patrol is 65, the stock Kona is 60. 62.5 didn't cause any issues on mine and bumps travel to 160mm. Solid as fuck those Kona are.
Cheers for the input Toodles. I am playing around with the idea of only shortening to 62.5mm (having read about this as an option). Solid and fun were 2 of the main drivers for picking this beasty, but the 153mm of travel was also a deciding factor. I was looking for something that would be suitable for the day to day riding I am currently doing, and for the trails I expect to ride after we move into our new house (1 1/2 hours further south). Basically less gnar but still lots of jumping, with a handful of sideways landing. I seldom get to big mountains with long fast rocky lines, so day to day riding is more of the priority. Trails are tighter, less rocky, and not very steep. So keeping up speed and pumping/pedaling between sections is needed to squeak the most fun out of local rides. To put in context, my 140mm 5 Spot is more fun for day to day riding than the 160mm Chilcotin I recently broke. But the Chilcotin feels better for weekend out rides. The Process seems like a good mix of both bikes, but updated wheelsize, geo etc.

New development is that my company needs me to move up to Scotland. I am not familiar with the local trails where I might be based, but having the option to up the travel is sweet. So I might ride as is and see how things pan out. Winter is also coming, so I have a little time to decide.

Not 100% sure what you mean by “go up a spacer size”? I haven’t checked specs for the Patrol to compare, but the shock should be setup by TF Tuned, including the correct spacers.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Ah no worries, probably stick with the 60mm version then. Don't worry too much about the spacer thing I mentioned, that's just the volume reducers. Once you get the shock, if you're bottoming too often try a larger volume reducer but I wouldn't stress too much about it till you ride. Enjoy the bike, they're good machines.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Ah no worries, probably stick with the 60mm version then. Don't worry too much about the spacer thing I mentioned, that's just the volume reducers. Once you get the shock, if you're bottoming too often try a larger volume reducer but I wouldn't stress too much about it till you ride. Enjoy the bike, they're good machines.
Ok volume spacers. Noted.

A 205x60 X2 has just been listed on PB. Will work out the same price as a DPX after it is shortened. Tough choice. I loved the X2 on my Chilcotin, but thinking the DPX will keep the Process more lively. First world problems.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
You reach obsessors do realize most bikes you're looking at have a size above or below your "too ______" size you happen to be inspecting right?
Had no clue ;)

If one brands size small is equal to another brands size large, I think it's fair to say that one is generally longer/shorter than the other. However yes, you can always size up/down.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
If one brands size small is equal to another brands size large, I think it's fair to say that one is generally longer/shorter than the other. However yes, you can always size up/down.
That only works if said company doesn't increase the seat tube length by 100mm everytime they go up a size (looking at you Commencal - when your sponsored riders are upsizing and cutting down your seat tubes, maybe its time to modernize that shit)

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
69769840_10157840197626977_8463719564893487104_o.jpg

Built up a new trail/XC bike for the longer, less technical rides we have around here. First 29er for me, and going back to clips for the first time in 18 months. Built up at 13.5kg on the nose, its easily the lightest mountain bike I've owned (yeah I never did the XC thing seriously and all my hardtails were steel DJers). So far its actually pretty rowdy for a 140/120mm bike. I might chuck flats on it and see what it can do in the future at the easier Enduros.

Last edited:

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
View attachment 137029

Built up a new trail/XC bike for the longer, less technical rides we have around here. First 29er for me, and going back to clips for the first time in 18 months. Built up at 13.5kg on the nose, its easily the lightest mountain bike I've owned (yeah I never did the XC thing seriously and all my hardtails were steel DJers). So far its actually pretty rowdy for a 140/130mm bike. I might chuck flats on it and see what it can do in the future at the easier Enduros.
Thought the Smuggler was a 120 mm rear bike? Longer shock?

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I'm just wrasslin with the fact that you have a bike that looks less endurpo dork than I do right now.

I mean who am I any more? It's a lot to take in.
Ah I still have the Patrol as well. Don't worry, I'll explain how it all works when we're pedaling a liason together while saying things like "these things are so capable I don't even need a DH bike" and "WC DH tracks are so sanitized these days, Enduro is actually way gnarlier"