Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Removed the Runt and B1 Airspring.
20201001_055758.jpg

Built this up - Vorsprung Smashpot coil conversion.

20200929_200516.jpg

No stock RockShox internals.
Avalanche Cartridge and Smashpot
20201001_040400.jpg

Yarilanche / Avysprung / Voralanche / Frankenfork....
Whatever you want to call it.

20201001_055703.jpg

Driveway and curb bashing test was smile inducing.
Now I just have to wait out this tendonitis in my elbow to be able to test it in anger.

Full bike weight according to my feedback sports scale - Large Knolly Fugitive - Full Coil comes in at 33.04 lbs.

* Cross posted to my Trail-bike build thread in XC/AM/Trail forum.

Last edited:

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
View attachment 150297

View attachment 150298

View attachment 150299

View attachment 150300

Now I just have to wait out this tendonitis in my elbow to be able to test it in anger.

Full bike weight according to my feedback sports scale - Large Knolly Fugitive - Full Coil comes in at 33.04 lbs.

You will love it. I just moved mine to my second '19 36 and it it's simply superior in all aspects but weight.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
What bike would one run such a tire on?
Is my fatbike with a 2nd wheelset, doubling duty as a hardtail.

Kona Wozo with a 120mm Bluto and a -2* Works headset. Spends more time that way than it does with the full fat wheels.

Slower than my other bikes, but still stupid amounts of fun. Especially when conditions get...slippy.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I put some time on my one up bars on the dh bike last week and this weekend.

Vastly more comfterable than renthal carbon fat bars.....

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Is my fatbike with a 2nd wheelset, doubling duty as a hardtail.

Kona Wozo with a 120mm Bluto and a -2* Works headset. Spends more time that way than it does with the full fat wheels.

Slower than my other bikes, but still stupid amounts of fun. Especially when conditions get...slippy.
Interesting that 29+ fits, I don't think I've ever stood my 29er next to my wozo.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
New rim for the rear wheel is finished. Dropped it off on Sunday and in typical fashion, the wheel builder said it'll be done on Thursday probably. He messaged Monday and said it was done. Free beer for him!

Didn't bother with an insert this time.
what rim is that?

View attachment 150297

View attachment 150298

View attachment 150299

View attachment 150300

How's the smashpot working for you? I have a Luftkappe on my Pike, and since installing it, I don't get anywhere near full travel. I'm leaving about 2.5" on the table... Feels like I've cut my nose off to spite my face. Feels like about 1/2 way through the travel I'm hitting a wall. I was wondering if the DSD runt would allow me to eke out a bit more travel. But maybe Smashpot is the way to go? What prompted the switch for you?

Warning: plus bike content.

29x3 DHRII is a fucking beast.

View attachment 150374View attachment 150375
this isn't a response to your post per se; I just picked it caus' it seems like the most recent that's relevant to my question...

I recently went to wider rims (i30 from i26). It's been about 2 months now. I feel like I can't lower the pressure because if I do I'm getting increased rim strikes. If I go up in tire size (currently on a 2.3 DHR2 DD), I'm think the situation would be the same. The way I see it, a tire is undamped suspension. Increasing tire width amounts to increasing the (air) spring size. This in turn makes initial stroke softer, but the down side is it blows through it's travel with less force. Am I reading this correctly? At $100 a tire, I don't feel like upsizing my tires just to find out it's not going to work for me...

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I dig the Smashpot. The adjustable HBO works as advertised. The only downside is weight. Mine came to ~600 grams heavier than the air spring it replaced without accounting for the additional oil.

Olly

Monkey
Oct 1, 2015
I have a Luftkappe on my Pike, and since installing it, I don't get anywhere near full travel. I'm leaving about 2.5" on the table...
I'm no expert, but not getting the last 2.5" on a Pike sounds all kinds of wrong. Like there's too much oil in the damper, or something wasn't put together in the right order.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
The Luftkappe is very progressive in my opinion, and I also struggled to get full travel. No tokens and also tried dropping psi. Switched to a Debonair and it’s an improvement.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
...How's the smashpot working for you? I have a Luftkappe on my Pike, and since installing it, I don't get anywhere near full travel. I'm leaving about 2.5" on the table... Feels like I've cut my nose off to spite my face. Feels like about 1/2 way through the travel I'm hitting a wall. I was wondering if the DSD runt would allow me to eke out a bit more travel. But maybe Smashpot is the way to go? What prompted the switch for you?...
Disclaimer

I am a coil fan.
I have never gotten along with air very well. The only exception to that was the Mattoc on my last trailbike with an IRT upgrade. It took some faffing about, but I was able to get along with it eventually. My main beef is what everybody else seems to like - poppy. To me this is just uncontrolled rebound kick-back and I have never gotten along with it especially deep into the stroke.

Runt: ( 2019 150mm Lyric/Yari - B1 airspring)

Like the IRT you are able to really play with the springrate. You can get a nice supple beginning and a supportive midstroke. The ramp-up at end of stroke felt ok, I could get almost full travel, and do not ever remember bottoming it - always seemed to have 15 or so mm left. My problem came when using a lot of travel and the way it would kick back, almost felt like too many tokens.
It is supposed to be equivalent to a single token, but seems to feel like more, especially when you get the beginning and mid sorted.

Back to back, Runt, and stock including playing with tokens...
The Runt was superior in all respects except or deep stroke ramp and kickback.
The stock airspring was better for end of stroke ramp and kick, but sucked hard with no midstroke when getting an equivalent beginning suppleness. Playing with tokens, you get a harsher beginning, a decent mid, and a hard ramp / kick at the end.

Smashpot

Due to the tendonitis in my elbow, I have not ridden this thing hard. Just curb smashing and rail-trail with a couple of easy booters thrown in. Basically I'm trying to limit elbow movement.
My limited Initial impressions are good. No more airspring suckdown, and it is very supple off of the top. It sags about 5-7mm under its own weight. Much better over washboard ripple / chatter / small roots. Midstroke seems supportive, but so far no steeps or aggression, so I will hold my comment. I have not gotten close to having to play with the HBO yet, so again no comment. My so far limited experience with it being deep into the travel - no hard kick, now nice and calm with a typical coil feel.

I think I guessed correct on coil weight, but will have to see how it is when I'm back up to speed.

So far, very happy and having a hard time waiting to heal, as I want to play with this thing in anger.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
what rim is that?

How's the smashpot working for you? I have a Luftkappe on my Pike, and since installing it, I don't get anywhere near full travel. I'm leaving about 2.5" on the table... Feels like I've cut my nose off to spite my face. Feels like about 1/2 way through the travel I'm hitting a wall. I was wondering if the DSD runt would allow me to eke out a bit more travel. But maybe Smashpot is the way to go? What prompted the switch for you?

this isn't a response to your post per se; I just picked it caus' it seems like the most recent that's relevant to my question...

I recently went to wider rims (i30 from i26). It's been about 2 months now. I feel like I can't lower the pressure because if I do I'm getting increased rim strikes. If I go up in tire size (currently on a 2.3 DHR2 DD), I'm think the situation would be the same. The way I see it, a tire is undamped suspension. Increasing tire width amounts to increasing the (air) spring size. This in turn makes initial stroke softer, but the down side is it blows through it's travel with less force. Am I reading this correctly? At $100 a tire, I don't feel like upsizing my tires just to find out it's not going to work for me...
Tairin out of BC. https://www.tairinwheels.ca/

Honestly don't know much about them other than they have a pretty thick rim flange. My wheel builder guy suggested it so I went with it.

Will try it now this weekend in bromont, assuming shit doesn't get shut down.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Loctite green?
Saved my ass last week, forgot to Loctite a sleeve before fitting it, out comes the 290 hahaha!
I'm gonna buy some Vibra-Tite VC3 for the cap screws on my bike, wondering if it will mean I can torque a bolt accurately with retaining compound on it? Having to clean Loctite off each time and reapplying sucks.
Sounds like it would be good on bb shell threads, it seals and may keep the clicking noise of neglect away.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I recently went to wider rims (i30 from i26). It's been about 2 months now. I feel like I can't lower the pressure because if I do I'm getting increased rim strikes. If I go up in tire size (currently on a 2.3 DHR2 DD), I'm think the situation would be the same.
Did you check where the channel between top tread and cornering knobs of your tire is in relation to your rim edges? On a narrow rim it is underneath your center knobs, when the rim becomes wider it is directly under the channel, so more exposed to rim strikes. So buy the right tire for your rim or vice versa.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I got a new 40 and the new X2 air to try out today. I’ve been running Ohlins all summer so it‘s cool to change it up. I put 29 wheels back on her because it’s so wet right now I think it’ll help stabilise the bike and give me more chances for survival.

BB8F6F27-016C-4C2D-AD19-5D770BF78932.jpeg

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I got a new 40 and the new X2 air to try out today. I’ve been running Ohlins all summer so it‘s cool to change it up. I put 29 wheels back on her because it’s so wet right now I think it’ll help stabilise the bike and give me more chances for survival.

View attachment 151063
I have to say that I think the new Gambler is so good looking--no idea why it stands out from many other bikes with fairly similar form factor but damn every one I see looks amazing.

In to hear the Fox vs Ohlins comparison! Seeing the specialized boys hovering over the gnar has me Ohlins curious.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I can't buy a used fork because I need about 9" of steerer, I wish more people kept their forks as lung puncturers.
Why?, that's the creaky-part of the fork. It's never going to work out in the long term anyway ;)

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Why?, that's the creaky-part of the fork. It's never going to work out in the long term anyway ;)
Slack mid travel 650b hardtail requires a long steerer to get a decent stack height, 6" HT, external cups, 2" stem height.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
In to hear the Fox vs Ohlins comparison! Seeing the specialized boys hovering over the gnar has me Ohlins curious.
I honestly wonder how much customization has gone into their suspensions? Not that I think öhlins is bad, just that I have a hard time believing that they run 100% stock products...:pilot:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I honestly wonder how much customization has gone into their suspensions? Not that I think öhlins is bad, just that I have a hard time believing that they run 100% stock products...:pilot:
It has to be partly the rider too. Look how composed Loic looks, most of the time. Compared to Finn who ping pongs off random stuff.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
No doubt you’re right. Also BuckoW is 5 times the rider I am so his thoughts are irrelevant to my experience. I am still curious because needless upgrade musings are all I have left of DH for about 6 months now...