Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
No doubt you’re right. Also BuckoW is 5 times the rider I am so his thoughts are irrelevant to my experience. I am still curious because needless upgrade musings are all I have left of DH for about 6 months now...
you injured? bailey and windrock are open year round :D

also, we need to calendar a wilsons leaf surf PRONTO

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
No doubt you’re right. Also BuckoW is 5 times the rider I am so his thoughts are irrelevant to my experience. I am still curious because needless upgrade musings are all I have left of DH for about 6 months now...
you injured? bailey and windrock are open year round :D

also, we need to calendar a wilsons leaf surf PRONTO
have you booked snowshoe next year yet?

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
It has to be partly the rider too. Look how composed Loic looks, most of the time. Compared to Finn who ping pongs off random stuff.
Indeed!
I don't know about Finn but Loic spends a lot of time at the gym.
Then Loic's mechanic, Jack Roure, who has been with him for many years, is a true suspension nerd. More about that here:
Finn has his own mechanic Kevin Joly but I not sure that he gets advice / knowledge from Jack. They do telemetry too, tho...

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Parts starting to arrive for the Winter project. 5 week lead time on these fellas, but they came in a little early and before the frame is back from the paint shop.
20201020_081140.jpg

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 11.46.04 AM.png

Waiting on i9 Hydra wheels to arrive. Also if 2021 will come in ALUMINIUM.......I am running a 160mm HELM 2 upfront with 44 offset and a long stroke shock in the back which puts it at 145 or 150mm Travel. I can't recall the exact travel bump it gives.

My boss has named it The Crack Head build because my last was stolen and the fork and shock got destroyed. Now technically he was a meth head but that doesn't sound as cool. So the suspension was covered by insurance and I got a good deal on a new frame.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I installed a charger 2.1 damper in my 2016 Pike last night. Rode it in the leafy wet today, and it worked. I can't say I noticed much of a difference. Though conditions were challenging so I wasn't really able to properly test it out.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I just picked up a set of new RF Turbine R wheels off PB for my much anticipated Sight C2. Hooray for local pros! Expected ship date is Oct 30.

Giggity.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I just picked up a set of new RF Turbine R wheels off PB for my much anticipated Sight C2. Hooray for local pros! Expected ship date is Oct 30.

Giggity.
I was reading Sight reviews last night, only negatives on 2020's seemed to be on the time to get the rear shock feeling good.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I was reading Sight reviews last night, only negatives on 2020's seemed to be on the time to get the rear shock feeling good.
I did not ride any other shock but this one on my Sight, but i can tell you for sure that the 2021 Fox float X2 works perfect
on the Sight with minimal tinkering. Even with no spacers and minimal HSC it still uses its travel well and ramps up enough at bottom out. I still can’t believe right when i got this bike built a sweet bike park opened 35 minutes from my house, so I have been testing it there, and once setup, I have left all the settings as is.
B1BB0416-2AE6-4695-8E26-01B54D5CA853.jpeg

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I did not ride any other shock but this one on my Sight, but i can tell you for sure that the 2021 Fox float X2 works perfect
on the Sight with minimal tinkering. Even with no spacers and minimal HSC it still uses its travel well and ramps up enough at bottom out. I still can’t believe right when i got this bike built a sweet bike park opened 35 minutes from my house, so I have been testing it there, and once setup, I have left all the settings as is. View attachment 151269
That is a bloody nice colour scheme.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
on the Sight with minimal tinkering. Even with no spacers and minimal HSC it still uses its travel well and ramps up enough at bottom out. I still can’t believe right when i got this bike built a sweet bike park opened 35 minutes from my house, so I have been testing it there, and once setup, I have left all the settings as is. View attachment 151269
How close did you end up to the Norco recommended settings actually? Their setup thingy is the most comprehensive I've seen from a manufacturer.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
How close did you end up to the Norco recommended settings actually? Their setup thingy is the most comprehensive I've seen from a manufacturer.
FWIW, on my Norco HSP I was very close if not exactly the same as their recommended set up. As you said, they really do a nice job with their set up guide.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Can't believe how amazing this bike is, I had the previous gen Warden and a Delirium for reference.
Is the Z1 Coil any good? I have been sort of tempted to buy the conversion kit but I think my money would be better spent going towards a Formula Selva C.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
Well, I built my frame up with ‘21 Fox fork and shock and they both changed so I did not use the exact setup there. But I went by the book on their frame size and cockpit setup and it was spot on. Their theory about not changing their suggested stem length but adjusting bar width worked for me. I am 5’10, large frame, 40 mm stem, one 15 mm spacer, and a 780 mm bar.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I was cleaning my bike this morning, and discovered the pedal insert in the non-drive side of my SixC cranks is toast. Gonna see if I can get a replacement arm (hopefully), and if not, the fun begins: finding a crankset for a 73mmx142mm chainline. Stupid. fucking. industry. standards. was thinking Shimano XT but it's looking tough to find a crank for a non-boost chainline. bastards.

local717

Monkey
Apr 11, 2010
Mt.Gretna/Lancaster
Is the Z1 Coil any good? I have been sort of tempted to buy the conversion kit but I think my money would be better spent going towards a Formula Selva C.
Yeah it's pretty awesome, super smooth! For reference the last coil single crown fork I had was a 08 66RC, which felt great back then. After that it has been air sprung single crown forks, but have always had a coil fork for my dh bike. When it came to this build I was either going 38 or Z1, very glad I went with the Z1, I've missed the way coil forks feel.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I was cleaning my bike this morning, and discovered the pedal insert in the non-drive side of my SixC cranks is toast. Gonna see if I can get a replacement arm (hopefully), and if not, the fun begins: finding a crankset for a 73mmx142mm chainline. Stupid. fucking. industry. standards. was thinking Shimano XT but it's looking tough to find a crank for a non-boost chainline. bastards.
If I understand correctly, most cranks aren't boost/nonboost specific, its the chain ring that will decide that.

The new XT cranks say that are compatible with both 142 and 148 spacing. Maybe its the chainline that changes?

I'm guessing you can just get a new crank arm (see @Jm_ ).

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
If I understand correctly, most cranks aren't boost/nonboost specific, its the chain ring that will decide that.

The new XT cranks say that are compatible with both 142 and 148 spacing. Maybe its the chainline that changes?

That's true for a lot of direct mount cranks, but not Shimano.

XT M8100 is for non-boost. M8120 is boost. M8130 is superboost.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
That's true for a lot of direct mount cranks, but not Shimano.

XT M8100 is for non-boost. M8120 is boost. M8130 is superboost.
Ah, so thats what those version numbers mean. I should have read more than one retailer, who just copy and pasted what looks like generic info on the cranks, rather than the model specific info.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

Well, I just got off the phone with Fox-Marzocchi customer service... They sell the crank arms individually, for $100. That works for me. And they'll ship it to me direct on 1-2 shipping. So I'm "chuffed".

If I hadn't just bought a new damper for my Pike, I might have been tempted to get a full new crankset (who knows how long the drive-side arm will last). I've been wanting a shorter crank for a while. But for now, this will do just fine.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
Well, I just got off the phone with Fox-Marzocchi customer service... They sell the crank arms individually, for $100. That works for me. And they'll ship it to me direct on 1-2 shipping. So I'm "chuffed".

If I hadn't just bought a new damper for my Pike, I might have been tempted to get a full new crankset (who knows how long the drive-side arm will last). I've been wanting a shorter crank for a while. But for now, this will do just fine.
That is pretty damn fair compared to how much they retail for.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

i was real confused for a minute until i remembered that foxzocchi bought RF a while back. foxzocchiface.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
That is pretty damn fair compared to how much they retail for.
I thought so too. If I had my wits about me, I should have asked if I could buy both arms in a shorter length...

i was real confused for a minute until i remembered that foxzocchi bought RF a while back. foxzocchiface.
Me too. When they answered I said I called the number at the bottom of the Race Face page... and he said they're all the same company now. Which jogged my memory.

Regardless, it was a pleasant customer service experience.